No announcement yet.

Knife Thread: All about Knives and other edged tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great thread!! ive been thinking about getting a good survival knife. i have a decent gerber multitool. which i take with me when i hike, but i think it would be good to have a sturdy fixed blade just in case... that Gerber LMF II looks decent. any other ideas or a hardy survival knife?

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LMF II is a very good choice, I have one coming, that and my gerber multi (see pic of all my carry gear) is the legend 800 I like the legend series because the wire cutters are replaceable (20 bucks a set) but you get 3 times to destroy them before you have to replace the set. The gerber legends are a bit bulkier that the leather mans (which I have a couple of them too) I just always seem to like the gerbers better.

other good fixed blades, cant go wrong with a K-bar or a SOG, Kershaw, or cold steel.
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by Nicademus View Post
        What ?
        Sorry, I should rephrase;
        -I think it is extremely unhealthy that some Americans such as yourselves feel the "need" to carry weapons.

Shit, Don't shoot me!

R.H.D
        M-technic I club

Comment

Originally posted by JamesE30 View Post
          Sorry, I should rephrase;
          -I think it is extremely unhealthy that some Americans such as yourselves feel the "need" to carry weapons.

Shit, Don't shoot me!
          Umm why? Please leave the forum permanently after you answer. How is it unhealthy? Don't you ever go do anything? Don't you need tools?

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
          ~ John Adams ~

Comment

Umm why? Please leave the forum permanently after you answer. How is it unhealthy? Don't you ever go do anything? Don't you need tools?
            You want me to leave this e30 forum because you dont like my view on carry weapons? Settle down mate, what's with the attitude?
            Yes, I "go do things". That is why despite having been a member for more than two years, I don't have 2,700 posts.

I really don't care that much about the topic of knives and guns, but you asked. So here is my opinion;

Tools? Of course, everyone needs different tools. A knife can be a tool.
            A gun is not a tool, it is a weapon.
            Unless you are required to carry a gun for work, then what do you carry it for? A guns purpose, is to shoot someone. That is all.
            If you get up and think to yourself each morning, "I might need to shoot someone today, I better carry my gun", that's what I see as unhealthy.

R.H.D
            M-technic I club

Comment

Originally posted by JamesE30 View Post
              Tools? Of course, everyone needs different tools. A knife can be a tool.
              A gun is not a tool, it is a weapon.
              A guns purpose, is to shoot someone. That is all.

Not true. I do not own one gun. I am, however moving out of the city, to a ranch atmosphere, and I plan to keep a gun handy in the back window of the pickup truck I will have to acquire. And If, one day, I'm out, working on my ranch, and have to chase of a coyote with a rifle to prevent my farm's production abilities from being adversely affected. Thus, work.

Comment

NIC he means a gun.

I get up each day a hope and pray I dont have to draw my weapon to defend myself that day or any day. I dont carry a gun to kill, I carry it to survive. You have 1000's of encounters each day with untold numbers of people that 99.999999999% of the time are going to be just fine. Then you have that one time, I have never had to pull my weapon in defense but I have had to take a defensive stance and put my hand on it (never shown was still under my coat) and the 4 ethnic persons that had made it very clear they wanted to "Fuck up a white boy" backed off very very fast and left me alone. They recognized the posture and that I prolly had a gun and knew how to use it an went to find a easier victim.

Well too aussie, I live my life in hotels up to 300+ nights a year. Not always in the best parts of town, I spend endless hours driving around this country from job to job or even site to site on those jobs. Its to protect my self and family (when I am home the little woman has some of her own for when I am not) from those that would do me harm or wish to take from me or my family.

Look at your own crime stats from your Nazi gun laws and how much violent crime and crimes with guns went up, and then look at all the states here in the US had their viloent crime rates drop after they became shall Issue (CCW) states. A armed Society is a Polite society, That has been proven through out 1000's of years or recorded history.

A gun is tool, no more dangerous than your shovel, ax, knife, screw drive, or spoon. Its only as dangerous as the Person who wields it, A gun is a tool to provide food for you family, I grew up fairly poor, and we had to survive on the game we could kill, as most of the meat our small farm produced had to be sold to pay for things Like T.P. Heat, power and gas. A gun is a tool to protect your family and self from Predators, including people, a gun is no more a weapon than a fork is, it just depends on how its being employed. I can kill you with a fork nearly as easily as I can with a gun.

That is all I will say on this as this is a Knife thread not the gun thread.
                Last edited by mrsleeve; 04-27-2009, 09:10 PM.
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                  Not true. I do not own one gun. I am, however moving out of the city, to a ranch atmosphere, and I plan to keep a gun handy in the back window of the pickup truck I will have to acquire. And If, one day, I'm out, working on my ranch, and have to chase of a coyote with a rifle to prevent my farm's production abilities from being adversely affected. Thus, work.
                  Farbin I see where you are coming from, my familiy owes an old farm, and my uncle has a rifle on that property for similar reasons.
                  I apreciate guns can be used for sport, or provide food to a family, but Is that the intention when belting up with a pistol everyday? I doubt it.

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                  NIC he means a gun.

I get up each day a hope and pray I dont have to draw my weapon to defend myself that day or any day. I dont carry a gun to kill, I carry it to survive. You have 1000's of encounters each day with untold numbers of people that 99.999999999% of the time are going to be just fine. Then you have that one time, I have never had to pull my weapon in defense but I have had to take a defensive stance and put my hand on it (never shown was still under my coat) and the 4 ethnic persons that had made it very clear they wanted to "Fuck up a white boy" backed off very very fast and left me alone. They recognized the posture and that I prolly had a gun and knew how to use it an went to find a easier victim.

Well too aussie, I live my life in hotels up to 300+ nights a year. Not always in the best parts of town, I spend endless hours driving around this country from job to job or even site to site on those jobs. Its to protect my self and family (when I am home the little woman has some of her own) from those that would do me harm or wish to take from me or my family.

Look at your own crime stats from your Nazi gun laws and how much violent crime and crimes with guns, and then look at all the states here in the US had their viloent crime rates drop after they became shall Issue (CCW) states. A armed Society is a Polite society, That has been proven through out 1000's of years or recorded history.

A gun is tool, no more dangerous than you shovel, ax, knife or spoon. Its only as dangerous as the Person who wields it, A gun is a way to provide food for you family, I grew up fairly poor, and we had to survive on the game we could kill, as most of the meat our small farm produced had to be sold. A gun is a tool to protect your family and self from Predators, including people, a gun is no more a weapon than a fork is, it just depends on how its being employed. I can kill you with a fork nearly as easily as I can with a gun.

That is all I will say on this as this is a Knife thread not the gun thread.
                  Yes, of coarse nearly anything can be used as a weapon,but that is not the point, a gun is just that. Maybe you do feel safer with a gun, but I guess that's just the difference between where you and I live.
                  Besides, you are right, this is a thread about knives, I guess I did get a little off topic.

So here is what I've had for about 6 years:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	swiss-army-knife.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	7112186

And I somehow I've managed to attatched this mystery picture?? \/
                  lol I can't delete it? oh well..
                  Attached Files

R.H.D
                  M-technic I club

Comment

Dude I live in one of the safest places there is to be ( other than the bears both black and grizzly, wolves, Cats and coyotes). I just done like being in a strange motel room with thousands of dollars and gear in it with me and not have some way to keep from getting rolled when at work. some where in this country

William Pitt-

Comment

I used to have a Swiss army knife like that but they took it from me at the airport a few years ago. I forgot it was in my backpack. I had people with me so I didn't want to spend time filling out paper work to have it shipped to my home so I let them take it. Many of the used knives on eBay are Airport confiscations.

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
                      ~ John Adams ~

Comment

I used to have a Swiss army knife like that but they took it from me at the airport a few years ago. I forgot it was in my backpack. I had people with me so I didn't want to spend time filling out paper work to have it shipped to my home so I let them take it. Many of the used knives on eBay are Airport confiscations.
                        Haha, I had the exact same thing happend to me on the way to Thailand a couple of months ago. I left it in there from a hike, and forgot all about it. Didn't have time to think about it so I let them take it. I've replaced it with the same model in black now.

R.H.D
                        M-technic I club

Comment

Does anyone here have a SOG Trident Knife? I was looking at them and they are really well priced and wonder how people like them?

www.gutenparts.com
                          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by e30s52 View Post
                            Does anyone here have a SOG Trident Knife? I was looking at them and they are really well priced and wonder how people like them?
                            If I was you I'd definitely buy a SOG knife. They're made right there in Lynnwood and guaranteed.

~ John Adams ~

Comment

If I was you I'd definitely buy a SOG knife. They're made right there in Lynnwood and guaranteed.
                              Awsome thanks. I think I will pick one up here very soon.

www.gutenparts.com
                              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

SOG is good stuff cant go wrong there at all.

William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                                X