Let’s see your toolboxes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
    Doing a test run for my temp tool box until I also get the 2 US General 72 and 56" boxes. I decided I do not like the rectangles for the 3/8 tools, but instead will do like Sonic Tools and cut them as circles to take up less space. Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	9912450 Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	9912451 Example of the type of layout I want for the future:
    Where did you get the foam? And what are you cutting it with? I too really like the sonic tools set ups and their tools. Just after I left my last shop the boss bought everyone a loaded tool box to keep in their second bays. I was very jealous. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "In God we trust. All others must bring data." -W. E. Deming

/// 1987 325is /// Project Thread
    Past: 87 is, 88ix, 88 i, 87 ic, 89 ix, 17 others.

Comment

As a courtesy to other forum users, best to quote without inserting the pics.

However to answer your question, foam is from https://shadowbox.tools/

I would trace the tools differently next time or 3d scan them... I layed them on top of red foam that I had, drew the boarder for the box dimensions, then filtered out all red to get me an easy outline to trace. From there every tool is a layer in gimp that I can move and manipulate. They were ~$35 shipped per foam.

An example of a file and a problem with this is getting the camera as parallel and centered as possible, (which the software lets you skew as needed to compensate for this, and input the width and depth. From there with taller tools, its hard to find the edge without cutting out part of the depth that you see when removing your green screen effect. The other option is build a black box with up lighting and only take a picture of one tool at a time for better accuracy, so that you do not get ~22in of perspective issues.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Shadowline 2.png Views:	0 Size:	58.0 KB ID:	9912716

Comment

Don't put 300 ft-lbs on your breaker bar, or standard sockets. Just FYI.

I went and got a Horror Freight electric impact and some NAPA impact sockets after this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	busted 300ft-lb.JPG Views:	0 Size:	42.8 KB ID:	9914999
        Last edited by LateFan; 04-03-2020, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Here was my garage last fall when I was finally able to push the bmw out of the garage after extensive firewall rust repair, respraying the engine bay, brake line, fuel system, and suspension replacement. I built this 9.5' tabletop with a HF chest underneath (second one is my roommate's) into my rental to do this build as well as my subaru's headgaskets.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	5MTdtJT.jpg Views:	253 Size:	71.8 KB ID:	9915028

I added a top box for more storage/organization and remade the long table top into a more standard size 5'x2' with storage for tires underneath. The major critique of placing a tool box under a work space is needing to get to the tools when something is in the way of the box, like your friend working on your subframe or a piece of work mounted in the vise. This setup is smaller but I mostly used the length of the other bench for storage of parts I'd removed from the car, which isn't necessary now. The top box is great for things like plier sets, screwdrivers, and electrical stuff. HF makes organizer trays for bolts etc that fit perfectly in the thin drawers of this storage box, which has helped with my old way of keeping loose bolts in a small cardboard box and dumping them onto the table every time I needed one bolt.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	vqFuqAw.jpg Views:	253 Size:	90.2 KB ID:	9915029

My 3/8" and 1/4" drawer - 1/2" is in the drawer above. I like these socket holders because you can pick up the whole set and bring it with you.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	vGSLaPG.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	9915677

Random bolts, clips, washers etc drawer. Oetiker clamps in the back and a couple extra brake pad wear sensors in there as well

Name:	TemlORo.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	9915678

Electrical gets its own drawer too.

Name:	0NuEiYZ.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	9915679
          Last edited by Das Delfin; 04-06-2020, 09:03 AM.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Well, I'm elbow deep in the subframe and rot repair on my car... taking advantage of the quarantine since I've not got much else to keep me entertained outside of online classes. Here's a look at the HF 44" setup, The top three drawers are what I use the most, of course. The rest (not pictured) contain hammers, trim tools, consumables (hose clamps and O-rings) and "oversize": prybars, huge pipe/adjustable wrenches, and most of the power tools. Blow molded cases/test kits are stored on a shelf and under the workbench (which Das Delfin actually built for me-- Its an awesome piece).

The top drawer is my favorite :b

(OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Working...
            X