X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• decay
    replied
    Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

I don't drive a cool daily anymore (well 335d is still a hoot), but I build them for a living, and "daily" cars that are cool.

Am I the bootmaker's mentor? :P
    a good bootmaker is a mentor. knowledge should be shared, not compartmentalized or monetized. it's a specialty, not a position of authority. being good at chassis, suspension, and brakes to the point where i can build a naturally-aspirated 4-banger that'll leave 6cyl turbo cars in the canyons doesn't elevate me above anyone else, it just means i'm a nerd about that.

so you're a weaponized nerd. bootmaker is just the polite term. :P​

i hear those 335d diesels respond really well to a reflash...

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Originally posted by decay View Post
    the salient point here is "when it comes to boots, go to the bootmaker", which is why i've pointed people at Firebird a few times when they wanna learn to tune. he's the bootmaker. i myself specialize in optimizing suspension and brakes, especially 5-lug conversions. i wince every time someone runs a set of adapters with the stock e30 brakes. maybe i am the bootmaker there, maybe not, but ignore my advice at your peril if you wanna go with chinese-made parts.
    I don't drive a cool daily anymore (well 335d is still a hoot), but I build them for a living, and "daily" cars that are cool.

Am I the bootmaker's mentor? :P

Leave a comment:

• decay
    replied
    Seed vault is actually modern to contemporary history by now. History has become a favorite. Jocephus: War with the Jews is a great one if you have a heavy page turn.

Going back to the subject, I will read the entire paper,but was grabbing linkt to quote. The best material for a debate is the one presented. ;)

Right in chapter 1, it discusses the feedback loop of frozen co2.
    keep going. the chapter about conflict caused by climate change was particularly interesting to me, of course; the US Army has been thinking about that since before i was a grunt (not least because our military is, in fact, the biggest polluting entity... "in the wuhld"). and oh yeah, my 10-year anniversary of getting out was a few months ago.

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    quantum physics is some strange shit i'll never understand. much smarter brains than mine have tried and failed, so i don't feel bad about it.
    Constructor theory is a proposal for a new mode of explanation in fundamental physics in the language of ergodic theory, first sketched out by David Deutsch, a quantum physicist at the University of Oxford, in 2012. Find out more >>

Quantum tunneling is well understood. This gets interesting. Bring quantum and physical?

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Seed vault is actually modern to contemporary history by now. History has become a favorite. Jocephus: War with the Jews is a great one if you have a heavy page turn.

Going back to the subject, I will read the entire paper,but was grabbing linkt to quote. The best material for a debate is the one presented. ;)

Right in chapter 1, it discusses the feedback loop of frozen co2.

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    since when is being a good mentor/stand up member of your community anything like an anarchist?

Firebird, tell the boy to if hes gonna leave a heavy land on the bevel hes got to turn it way up or let it soak ;) ( Though I am betting you already did) or just prep it right
    Before I had a chance,he knew the error. 1/4" steel, he used 3/16" bevel, not 1/8. Plus he is impatient im the starts - doesn't "almost burn through" as I say to the youngins

I've welded enough, pretty sure pass any of the school/work tests. There's days I'm all twisted up like a contortionist, in a car cage, using my knee to throttle a 1981 sync 300 with a # 9 flex air cooled just to get that 360°. I only use transformer machines,no computers.

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied

that is not supported by current data.
    Elaborate? I have been posting data, and information that the planet is in a glacial recession, on a cycle, that was happening before humans.

Leave a comment:

• decay
    replied
    Tried responding 3x, site glitched and lost my posts. Will type locally to copy/paste, but gotta run for now.

This was not in mainstream science just a few years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01aFP88qfQs
    that is not supported by current data.

anecdote: you know that seed vault we keep up in greenland JIC there's a climate or some other apocalypse? it's not under permafrost anymore. has been since we built it, but not now.

keyword: if that cycle i don't know how to spell were the *only* factor, we could be on a global 100k-year cycle, but the presenter carefully states that such as to acknowledge it isn't.

check out that article i posted if you need a break from buggy r3v; it's been frustrating me to the point where i irregularly check in and now i'm wading through a twitter cesspool of MAGAts until i catch my next contract and buy an M54B30. i still haven't finished it myself but it's depressing and i have enough of that going on right now.

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Tried responding 3x, site glitched and lost my posts. Will type locally to copy/paste, but gotta run for now.

This was not in mainstream science just a few years ago:

Earth's orbit is constantly evolving through Milankovitch Cycles. Try Speakly for free for 7 days, and get a 60% discount if you join the annual subscription...

Leave a comment:

• decay
    replied
    to put us back on topic:

looooong read, i suggest keep a browser tab open and do one chapter at a time (i'm still not done because i'm cramming for an interview on monday), but it's very well-informed on the subject.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017...or-humans.html
    Last edited by decay; 12-17-2022, 10:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• decay
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    since when is being a good mentor/stand up member of your community anything like an anarchist?
    what do you think it means to be an anarchist?

do you think it means you aren't a positively contributing member of your community? if you do, you're misinformed. at one of my tech gigs, i wrote code that helped make kids smarter by project-managing, automating shit, and running a QA team, because i'm a pretty good software engineer; one of the better ones in the room at the time. keeping a database full of names and addresses of children safe is where i cut my teeth on internet security, because it'd be really fucking bad if that got into the wild. perfectly in line with the ideology.

the salient point here is "when it comes to boots, go to the bootmaker", which is why i've pointed people at Firebird a few times when they wanna learn to tune. he's the bootmaker. i myself specialize in optimizing suspension and brakes, especially 5-lug conversions. i wince every time someone runs a set of adapters with the stock e30 brakes. maybe i am the bootmaker there, maybe not, but ignore my advice at your peril if you wanna go with chinese-made parts.

also read that bit about "mutual aid vs. the stick".

read some bakunin. i know you won't because you probably still carry a grudge, but maybe someone else will. translated and summarized for easy reading: https://theanarchistlibrary.org/libr...the-boot-maker

there's your lesson on anarchism.
    Last edited by decay; 12-17-2022, 10:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied

Firebird, tell the boy to if hes gonna leave a heavy land on the bevel hes got to turn it way up or let it soak ;) ( Though I am betting you already did) or just prep it right

Leave a comment:

• decay
    replied
    careful with that mutual aid, Firebird, you're starting to sound like an anarchist :P

Leave a comment:

• ForcedFirebird
    replied
    Just because they aren't from your DNA, doesn't mean you can't have "kids". Once my oldest went to college, started mentoring a young man who now has his own shop with a CNC router, mill, plasma as well as a 3d printer. I am just as proud of him as I am my son - he comes to me often and thanks me for the guidance over the last 6 years. The hair is sanding in my arms just thinking about it.

There's lots of youth out there who are brilliant, kind, ethical, hard working, but maybe just in a bad place in their life. So, do we ignore it, kick them when down? -OR- do we lift the spirits and maybe, just maybe use a little of our own resources to make the future brighter?

Leave a comment:

• decay
    replied
    WTF are YOU teaching your child right now? Lol
    no kids, remember?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X