Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should a high School incident be relevant 35 years later?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should a high School incident be relevant 35 years later?

Yes as in Brett Kavanaugh. Story sounds legit but I would call the other teenager who was there, as well as the therapist to prove it but regardless should it matter?

Who is Christine Blasey Ford, the professor who accused Brett Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct?

Kaitlyn Schallhorn

Just days before the Senate Judiciary Committee was set to vote on Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court confirmation, Christine Blasey Ford publicly came forward to accuse the federal appeals judge of sexual assault decades ago.

The sexual assault allegation first came to light in the form of a letter obtained by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., who sent shockwaves through Washington when she announced last week she forwarded it to the FBI. Feinstein is the top Democrat on the Judiciary Committee, which is tasked with deciding whether to formally recommend a Supreme Court nominee to the full Senate for a vote.

But Ford publicly came forward in an interview with The Washington Post over the weekend, saying her “civic responsibility is outweighing my anguish and terror about retaliation.”

She has accused Kavanaugh of pinning her to a bed during a house party in Maryland in the early 1980s, attempting to remove her clothes and putting his hand over her mouth when she tried to scream. At the time of the alleged incident, Ford was 15 and Kavanaugh was 17, she said, adding that Kavanaugh was drunk.

“I thought he might inadvertently kill me,” Ford said. “He was trying to attack me and remove my clothing.”

She said she was able to escape when Mark Judge – a friend of Kavanaugh’s who has come to his defense after the allegations became public – jumped on top of them.

Kavanaugh has denied the allegations, saying, “I categorically and unequivocally deny this allegation. I did not do this back in high school or at any time.” Judge has said he has no recollection of the alleged events.

Read on for a look at four things to know about Ford.
    Ford is a college professor

Ford is a clinical psychology professor at Palo Alto University in California. A biostatistician, she “specializes in the design and analysis of clinical trials and other forms of intervention evaluation,” according to the university.

Her work has also been published in several academic journals, covering topics such as 9/11 and child abuse.

Ford has also taught at Stanford University since 1988, according to a Holton-Arms’ alumni magazine, the Bethesda, Maryland, school from where she graduated, The Wall Street Journal reported. She teaches at both schools in consortium, according to the newspaper.

The magazine also noted she is an “avid surfer, and she and her family spend a great deal of time surfing in the Santa Cruz and San Francisco areas.”
    Her husband has backed her allegations

Russell Ford, her husband, also told The Washington Post that his wife detailed the alleged assault during a couple’s therapy session in 2012. During therapy, he said his wife talked about a time when she was trapped in a room with two drunken boys, and one of them had pinned her to a bed, molested her and tried to prevent her from screaming.

He said he remembered his wife specifically using Kavanaugh’s name. She said during the session, Russell Ford recalled, she was scared he would one day be nominated to the Supreme Court.

Ford provided a copy of the therapist’s notes to The Washington Post, which detailed her recollection of being assaulted by young men “from an elitist boys’ school” who would become “highly respected and high-ranking members of society in Washington.”

Additional notes from a later therapy session said she discussed a “rape attempt” that occurred when she was a teenager, The Washington Post reported.
    She’s a registered Democrat

Ford is a registered Democrat who has given small monetary donations to political causes, according to The Washington Post.

She has donated to ActBlue, a nonprofit group that aims to help Democrats and progressive candidates, The Wall Street Journal reported.

She is also among the thousands of medical professionals who signed onto a Physicians for Human Rights letter in June decrying the practice of separating children from their parents at the border and urging the Trump administration to stop it.
    Ford already took a polygraph test

Once it was clear that Kavanaugh was President Trump’s pick to replace retired Justice Anthony Kennedy on the Supreme Court, Ford contacted The Washington Post’s tip line, according to the newspaper.

She also contacted her representative in Congress, Democrat Anna Eshoo. She sent a letter to Eshoo’s office about the allegations that was passed onto Feinstein.

After she retained the services of Debra Katz, a Washington, D.C.-based attorney, she took a polygraph test administered by the FBI. According to the results shared with The Washington Post, the test concluded that Ford was being honest.
    Last edited by Javier h; 09-17-2018, 03:18 PM.

If you murdered somebody 30 years ago, should that matter?
    robbed a bank?
    molested little kids?

How is this any different..
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I think what matters more is if he paid her hush money to not bring it up. Getting like 50-100k in debt from fucking baseball tickets doesn't sound real in almost any world.

It also depends on the state statute of limitations.
      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
      willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        If you murdered somebody 30 years ago, should that matter?
        robbed a bank?
        molested little kids?

How is this any different..
        Yep.

How is this a surprise though? He was just trying to grab her by the waffles.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

It should matter if it's true. Should a 30 year old accusation with no substantiation matter? As much as I'd dislike seeing a sex offender in any position of power, this sounds to have little merit behind it. In today's era of destroying hot-dog stands via outcries on social media because they gave you too few onions, I suspect the damage is already done.

Comment

I dislike the timing of the accusation as it wreaks of opportune timing for the dems.

However, I hope the interviews are done thoroughly and without bias. Being appointed the the Supreme Court is a lifetime thing (unfortunately) and as such I'd like to see the best candidates possible fill the position.
            "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
            -----------------------------------------
            91 318is Turbo Sold
            87 325 Daily driver Sold
            06 4.8is X5
            06 Mtec X3
            05 4.4i X5 Sold
            92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
            90 325i Sold
            97 328is Sold
            01 323ci Sold
            92 325i Sold
            83 528e Totaled
            98 328i Sold
            93 325i Sold

Comment

The real question is should the guy be plastered all over media before being convicted? As far as i can tell at the moment they are only accusations. If it turns out to be false accusations you could argue some damage has already been done to his reputation.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                The real question is should the guy be plastered all over media before being convicted? As far as i can tell at the moment they are only accusations. If it turns out to be false accusations you could argue some damage has already been done to his reputation.

Then I suppose he could sue for libel. He'd still be appointed to the SC by the Reps... so, I think he'll be okay.
                "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                -----------------------------------------
                91 318is Turbo Sold
                87 325 Daily driver Sold
                06 4.8is X5
                06 Mtec X3
                05 4.4i X5 Sold
                92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                90 325i Sold
                97 328is Sold
                01 323ci Sold
                92 325i Sold
                83 528e Totaled
                98 328i Sold
                93 325i Sold

Comment

Seems a little too convenient to be legitimate.

I’m not accusing her of lying; only trying to manipulate a political situation for her benefit.

It’s also very possible she was offered a large amount of money/influence/whatever by a dem lobbyist to come forward at a critical time.

For the record I think trump is an idiot but it’s obvious this is all a game.

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post
                    It should matter if it's true. Should a 30 year old accusation with no substantiation matter? As much as I'd dislike seeing a sex offender in any position of power, this sounds to have little merit behind it. In today's era of destroying hot-dog stands via outcries on social media because they gave you too few onions, I suspect the damage is already done.
                    Originally posted by e30davie View Post

This. Republican or Democrat, gay or straight, Christian or Muslim, etc.

It's complete bullshit that in today's social media driven world, an accusation is all it takes to ruin someone's life. Not even being arrested, or being charged, or even having the case dismissed.........or god forbid be convicted.

Nope, all you have to do now is just accuse someone.
                    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

She's a doctor and college professor, what does she gain by lying?
                      She spoke about it to her therapist 6 years ago, who has the notes.
                      She passed a polygraph test (whatever that's worth)

He has all the reason to lie, she has literally none. Conspiracy theories aside.
                      She knew by doing this her world was going to be torn upside down

Bad side, she said she couldn't remember the year or what house it happened in. Could be mistaken identity

Comment

Originally posted by saucers View Post
                        She's a doctor and college professor, what does she gain by lying?
                        She spoke about it to her therapist 6 years ago, who has the notes.
                        She passed a polygraph test (whatever that's worth)

He has all the reason to lie, she has literally none. Conspiracy theories aside.
                        She knew by doing this her world was going to be torn upside down

Bad side, she said she couldn't remember the year or what house it happened in. Could be mistaken identity
                        And? If there is sufficient evidence, he should be formally arrested and charged with a crime.

You don't seem to understand that "trial by media" doesn't really live up to the "right to a fair trial" as guaranteed under the 6th Amendment.
                        Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                        Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                          And? If there is sufficient evidence, he should be formally arrested and charged with a crime.

You don't seem to understand that "trial by media" doesn't really live up to the "right to a fair trial" as guaranteed under the 6th Amendment.
                          What are you even rambling about? If he's found to be believed in the senate hearings, he's going to be confirmed to the Supreme Court.
                          How does that ruin his life?

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
                            This. Republican or Democrat, gay or straight, Christian or Muslim, etc.

It's complete bullshit that in today's social media driven world, an accusation is all it takes to ruin someone's life. Not even being arrested, or being charged, or even having the case dismissed.........or god forbid be convicted.

Nope, all you have to do now is just accuse someone.
                            Not gonna lie, I was accused by my daughter's mom a couple of years ago (day after Christmas 2016, to be exact) because she thought we called DCF on her (anonymous caller sent in tips). Had to go in and be interrogated on my lunch break. Definitely stayed home after that. Easily one of the worst days of my life. They honestly make you feel like you actually committed a crime... Ever since then, I've had a pretty damn negative outlook on that whole movement. I could've been sent to prison for a good amount of time just because my ex was mad at me. Any person who falsely accuses someone of a crime with malicious intent should serve every bit of that sentence instead.
                            88 325i Cabrio
                            04 Neon SRT-4

Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                            If R3v was a dude, it would pick up a tinder date naked, with a raging boner, drunk, in an e30 with a shitty interior, a missing sunroof panel, explaining how its a classic while staring at the tinder date's tits.

Comment

Yup

I have no doubts that she is telling the truth. My question is, was it really him?

I am mean did she just meet him this one time at some random party and after all these years she's fingering the wrong guy?

This is why he needs to take a polygraph, in his defense, if he is being truthful. Both parties could be right.

But if he did do it, then he should be upfront about it. Sorry but he knew they would search his background and all the skeletons will come around even those where he wasn't a legal adult.

To me it sounds like some High School football player got overzealous at a minimum and tried forcing himself. Idiot move but enough for most to chuck him from the bench.

Question: Do most believe Anita Hill?

That's another classic. Her story was too original not to be true and she never did say he forced himself.

Hill also took a polygraph test. While senators and other authorities noted that polygraph results cannot be relied upon and are inadmissible in courts, Hill's results did support her statements. Thomas did not take a polygraph test. He made a vehement and complete denial, saying that he was being subjected to a "high-tech lynching for uppity blacks" by white liberals who were seeking to block a black conservative from taking a seat on the Supreme Court.

All Thomas did was basically inappropriate talking and yet it was enough to have her dismissed and confirm him.
                              Last edited by Javier h; 09-18-2018, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X