No announcement yet.

Democratic Primary Season 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone got a link on last night's debate? i saw a bit of it when i dropped into a bar with coworkers after our shift, but i'd like to see the whole thing.
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
      anyone got a link on last night's debate? i saw a bit of it when i dropped into a bar with coworkers after our shift, but i'd like to see the whole thing.
      Here you go. Skip ahead to about 2:00:00 to get to the start of the debate.

NBC News, MSNBC and Telemundo host 2020 presidential candidates in two primary face-offs, Wednesday June 26th and Thursday June 27th, live from Miami. Savann...
      "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
      -----------------------------------------
      91 318is Turbo Sold
      87 325 Daily driver Sold
      06 4.8is X5
      06 Mtec X3
      05 4.4i X5 Sold
      92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
      90 325i Sold
      97 328is Sold
      01 323ci Sold
      92 325i Sold
      83 528e Totaled
      98 328i Sold
      93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
        Here you go. Skip ahead to about 2:00:00 to get to the start of the debate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=vJ6MrDO0kgY
        thanks.
        past:
        1989 325is (learner shitbox)
        1986 325e (turbo dorito)
        1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
        1985 323i baur
        current:
        1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Total clownshow.

Comment

Thursday's debate saw a few more fireworks than Wednesday's as some of the heavy hitters came out to play. Probably the biggest talking point over the next few days will be Kamala Harris challenging Joe Biden on his comment about working with segregationist congressmen and the inability of past congresses to pass an Equal Rights Amendment. The back and forth on that one was a little cringeworthy to be honest, as I think Harris (as well as many people trying to tear down Biden) have taken his comments about working with others in Congress in the past out of context to make him sound racist, which I don't believe he is. They also completely miss the reality that one person isn't solely responsible for the fact that an entire house of Congress failed to pass the ERA. For me, this seemed more like Harris pulling the black card more than anything else.

Besides that moment, I thought that Biden presented himself well and made statements that were measured and thoughtful. There were no big slip ups or gaffes, which for him will go a long way toward consolidating his early lead in the polls. I didn't feel as though this debate hurt him at all, and in some respects (his comments on Obamacare in particular) he probably gained supporters for being more moderate about healthcare than some of the others (sticking to the idea of both public and private options for healthcare).

The only spot that I thought he didn't look good in was at the end of his exchange with Harris he cut himself short in his explanation of why he didn't support busing to integrate schools (which he correctly mentioned was a local issue and the federal government didn't have jurisdiction in those cases, but he didn't explain the constitutionality behind it and I think the point got swallowed up in the other BS at the time over the ERA). In that moment it appeared as though Biden was disgusted with Harris and the line of questioning and simply didn't want to talk about it anymore, which didn't come off too well to me.

Sanders continues to push for Medicare-for-all without actually presenting a way to pay for it besides the belief that by having a single payer system costs will fall, making it more affordable. While that may be the case, there are a host of programs that he's pushing that even if collective action drives down costs, they won't be nothing, which I think has led his message to be less palatable than it was four years ago when it was new and shiny.

Mayor Pete Buttigieg should see his stock rise in the polls after last night's debate. He had a commanding presence and did not let himself get sucked into the bickering back and forth with other candidates. His delivery inspires confidence and he proved to be a moderate compared to the likes of Harris and Sanders. He may never be a true top tier candidate because he has come out as gay (for me it's irrelevant, but for some it's a scarlet letter), but he deserves to be around for a while and to be heard.

Here's my view of the rest of them:

Eric Stalwell: Challenged Biden to "Pass the torch" but then didn't really say what he would do with it. Has a goofy delivery to his speech

Mike Bennet: Didn't say much, at times wanted to jump on the attack Biden wagon, but didn't do anything big in that regard.

Kirsten Gillibrand: Focused solely on women's rights, probably because there isn't a man out there who would vote for her.

Andrew Yang: Give every American $1000 was his solution to everything. Spoke twice during the whole debate, should quit now.

John Hickenlooper: Only time he said anything of value was when he explained his work turning Colorado's ailing economy around by legalizing weed. Otherwise he seemed old.

Marianne Williamson: Straight nutter. Sounded like she started her day with a glass of chardonnay.
            Last edited by mbonder; 06-28-2019, 05:25 AM.

Comment

I was less enthralled with last night's debates vs. the first group of candidates. I don't enjoy whining, arguing, etc. Make your point in a controlled and deliberate manner. Don't need all the emotional fluff.

We'll see who drops out and where the donation money starts/continues flowing.
              "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
              -----------------------------------------
              91 318is Turbo Sold
              87 325 Daily driver Sold
              06 4.8is X5
              06 Mtec X3
              05 4.4i X5 Sold
              92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
              90 325i Sold
              97 328is Sold
              01 323ci Sold
              92 325i Sold
              83 528e Totaled
              98 328i Sold
              93 325i Sold

Comment

I recorded it but havent watched it

This was good practice for Biden. He needs to address issues that will come up if he goes against Trump.

I don't see Harris as President. I think Trump might eat her up but let me watch the exchange.

I think Biden can handle himself and it should be enough but lets see how this shakes out.

Comment

Originally posted by e30RS View Post
                  Total clownshow.
                  This is some seriously insightful commentary.

Thanks for your contribution.
                  Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                  Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                  One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                    Summary for you: all your troubles are over, and everything will be free. Oh and old college debt will be forgiven if you have it, men cannot be restricted for abortions either, if your gay or black the nation owes you reparations, but not Native Americans oddly, especially considering a front runner claims to be one, you’ll get paid by govt cause everyone deserves it, unlimited immigration for all, with the same benefits as citizens naturally, middle class will be taxed more, and that’s all I can think of other than Biden is now kind of a racist, or he was, and is now in rehab for it I think.

I really don’t see how you can go wrong regardless of who you favor.

Comment

Originally posted by naplesE30 View Post
                      Summary for you: all your troubles are over, and everything will be free. Oh and old college debt will be forgiven if you have it, men cannot be restricted for abortions either, if your gay or black the nation owes you reparations, but not Native Americans oddly, especially considering a front runner claims to be one, you’ll get paid by govt cause everyone deserves it, unlimited immigration for all, with the same benefits as citizens naturally, middle class will be taxed more, and that’s all I can think of other than Biden is now kind of a racist, or he was, and is now in rehab for it I think.

I really don’t see how you can go wrong regardless of who you favor.
                      :roll:
                      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                      willschnitz

Comment

I love the bumbling stumbling Biden. He is an absolute buffoon.

Comment

Hey naples, I'm curious, what exactly do you gain in the discussion by belittling your own election process? I grey torr not a fan of Democrats, but is it not worth discussing their ideas like a adult.
                          Last edited by CarpHunter; 06-29-2019, 07:05 PM.

Comment

That is their words and platforms. I didn’t exaggerate ( other than the everything for free, granted it’s not everything) or mis quote any of what they are running on. Nor did I belittle anyone or candidate other than maybe perhaps Biden, but in no worse way than any of his competitors. But, If it seems ridiculous when it’s all written down without the rationalization they give for it, then perhaps it is. Perhaps they should run on some actual adult policies that have a chance of actually passing a divided Congress, because I’m pretty sure right now the only realistic adult running in the dem party is Schultz and he doesn’t stand a chance.

Comment

From what I saw of the debates, since I was at work and only caught the ends, Naples assessment of the platforms seems accurate, when gleaned from other sources as well. Only thing left out of his synopsis is we have to pass firearms reforms and "universal background checks "
                              Originally posted by Fusion
                              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                              William Pitt-

Comment

For one, these "debates" do not allow for any of these candidates to get into much Nuance, nor does it seem like the moderators, tv stations or public want that, much less understand that.

Second, big ideas win elections, not small ones. This country needs to greatly change course on Foreign policy & Domestic policy especially as it relates to Inequality.

I'm damn happy I've been working way too much and have not been able to catch any of these debates a year and a half before the election, especially if I have to hear questions from Racheal Maddow or Chuck Todd who weekly do more harm than good in this country.
                                1990 BMW 325iC Triple Black Hard Top, Self-Wrenched, Original Owner Family

Comment

Working...
                                X