Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mbonder
    replied
    And then there were two: Biden v Sanders.

Warren dropped out earlier today, there's really no one else worthy of competing for the nomination after the Super Tuesday results. So where does everyone stand?

Leave a comment:

• mbonder
    replied
    Well the results definitely were different than expected.

Biden Pulled out wins in all of these states:
    Alabama
    Arkansas
    Maine
    Massachusetts
    Minnesota
    North Carolina
    Oklahoma
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Virginia

Bernie won in these states:
    California
    Colorado
    Utah
    Vermont

I'd say this changes the tenor of the nominating process tremendously. Bernie was expected to win in several states, Massachusetts, Maine being close to his home state of Vermont. But slowing Texas was a big one for Bernie as he had polled in the lead heading into yesterday's primary. There were a fair number of delegates there and he needed them to be able to say he was the clear favorite.

Given the turnaround for Biden, he now leads the delegate count 513 to 461 for Bernie. Klobuchar, Buttigieg, Harry Reid, Clyburn, Bloomberg all supporting Biden, looks like the establishment Dems are circling the wagons to keep Bernie out again, looking similar to 2016 right now.

Leave a comment:

• phillipj
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

I guess we know who the shady-ass mofos are....

Also, I read that Warren was turning to the SuperPACs for financial support even though she said she wouldnt... desperate times call for desperate measures!

That’s true; Warren took on a shadowy PAC which is the most dominant money spender today (Good link / explanation here). Biden also initially promised to take no PAC money, but reversed course on that almost immediately.

As for Sleeve’s comment, the goal has got to be to finish with a healthy majority of the votes. We can do that, just got to turn off the noise / TV news spin and go out and vote.

**If you want to vote here in California today, even if you aren’t registered, you can register same day at your polling place and it’s pretty easy. Polls are open until 8pm, but they will keep them open if people are in line.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by mbonder View Post

Klobuchar and Buttigieg, along with Harry Reid all endorsed Biden after his SC win, bringing new life to his chances, which had diminished in recent weeks as Sanders polled well in Iowa, New Hampshire, and Nevada...
    I guess we know who the shady-ass mofos are....

Also, I read that Warren was turning to the SuperPACs for financial support even though she said she wouldnt... desperate times call for desperate measures!

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    ^
    you are aware that your commoner vote dosent not count for shit in your D primaries? It the elite supper delgates with in the D party that acctually determin the nomination...

Bernie will never get the nomination from supper delgates
    Not exactly. Super delegates make up about 15% of seated delegates, and now cannot vote on the first ballot unless one nominee has a clear majority (unclear if they can/would vote to reduce that clear majority). So, if one candidate has a clear win, or pools delegate suppprt they will likely be nominated.

Basically the SDs are there to exert party control over a contested process, which is not a good thing for the voting public, but it's not an insurmountable obstacle.

OTOH, if the D candidate is nominated with the help of SDs and defeated in the general, the voting public knows ro blame those lawmakers and party officials who comprise the ranks of the super delegates and decided to overrule the will of their national membership.

Leave a comment:

• mrsleeve
    replied
    ^
    you are aware that your commoner vote dosent not count for shit in your D primaries? It the elite supper delgates with in the D party that acctually determin the nomination...

Bernie will never get the nomination from supper delgates

Leave a comment:

• phillipj
    replied
    Alabama
    Arkansas
    California
    Colorado
    Maine
    Massachusetts
    Minnesota
    North Carolina
    Oklahoma
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    Vermont
    Virginia

Let’s turn out tomorrow! — we have a chance to change things for the better.

I’m seeking fairness & a moral way forward with Bernie. The same old same old is not getting us anywhere. I’m 40 years old, I work in construction and run a crew of working guys, very blue collar.

Helpful links (from Vote.org):

1. Are you Registered to vote? Check your Registration here

2. Find your polling place easily here

Last edited by phillipj; 03-03-2020, 07:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mbonder
    replied
    After SC primary, things are starting to shake out to the main players.

Steyer out
    Klobuchar out
    Buttigieg out

Sanders, Warren, Biden, Bloomberg left to fight it out tomorrow on Super Tuesday. Biden was looking left for dead, but got a huge win in SC and is hoping to carry that forward. Warren is on her last breaths, but has yet to bow out, same for Tulsi Gabbard, who surprisingly hasn't conceded yet despite little support nationally.

Klobuchar and Buttigieg, along with Harry Reid all endorsed Biden after his SC win, bringing new life to his chances, which had diminished in recent weeks as Sanders polled well in Iowa, New Hampshire, and Nevada. Bloomberg is the wild card, he'll show up on the ballot for the first time tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• phillipj
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

I did when you started your attempt to get me to change my mind about bernie after I said I don't like him or his ideas lol.

Who cares?
    Oh, I'm not trying to change anybody's mind; everyone has an opinion. I don't see him as just another duplicitous politician, though. Pretty much everyone else, though!

Leave a comment:

• naplesE30
    replied
    https://nationalfile.com/bernie-camp...-bernies-wife/

Bernies wife is the real breadwinner thanks to his campaign. It’s industry standard to take 10-15% commission for ad buys. That’s adds up to a pretty penny or two. Donations directly to Bernie happily accepted.

I’ll trust a private entrepreneur any day over any politician and for good reason.

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by cale View Post

I might be convinced by this if it weren't for the fact that the majority of his wealth had been generated within the last few years, long after the man turned 70. Does that mean he represented the people before he hit 7-figures, or is there another arbitrary goalpost you'd like to move? I'm not a fan of him, but I'm not a fan of bad arguments either.
    Bad argument? Get out of here.

The man ran a campaign on bashing the rich in 2016, then buys a vacation home in cash a few weeks later.

Sanders is the one moving the goal posts, given that his current worth is just under the 45% tax on estates between 3.5-10 mil he proposed. Also, how can you say I'm arbitrarily moving goal posts when YOU are moving the goal posts by essentially saying, who cares if he's rich, he didn't get rich until he was in his 70s? Are you saying he shouldn't be considered a wealthy guy because of that fact, or are there another arbitrary goalpost you'd like to move?

He's a do nothing career politician that's racking up government pensions and making close to 200k a year. Plus, gov workers don't even have to disclose how much they've accumulated in their Thrift plans, so who knows how much more cash he's sitting on.

Just don't see the appeal in him, or see how you can think that's not a good argument.

Leave a comment:

• cale
    replied
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

I think being a public servant for over 3 decades and doing next to nothing while generating a worth of 2.5 mil is pretty unattractive as a presidential candidate.

I never said he was profiting off corruption, or whatever you're initial response to me was. My whole point is Bernie IS a wealthy guy, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay wealthier than the people he claims to stand for, and his wealth is due to his role as a public servant. He has literally done nothing significant in his 30 something years in the gov and now he wants to be president and everyone thinks he's some kind of angel, because he says tax the rich and cancel student debt.

I just don't buy it. Never do.
    I might be convinced by this if it weren't for the fact that the majority of his wealth had been generated within the last few years, long after the man turned 70. Does that mean he represented the people before he hit 7-figures, or is there another arbitrary goalpost you'd like to move? I'm not a fan of him, but I'm not a fan of bad arguments either.

Leave a comment:

• MrBurgundy
    replied
    Originally posted by phillipj View Post
    Wow, who knew, this became a comedy thread!
    I did when you started your attempt to get me to change my mind about bernie after I said I don't like him or his ideas lol.

Who cares?

Leave a comment:

• phillipj
    replied
    Joe Rogan's recent endorsement of Bernie is supposedly 'controversial'. Some groups & politicians tell him to run away from it, but building a diverse base is a good thing. He should lean into it, not run away from it. It's going to take a coalition of all different sorts to actually win.

Rogan asks pretty good questions on his shows; all the shows with candidates were particularly insightful:

Andrew Yang.

Tulsi, too.

& The Bernie one.
    Last edited by phillipj; 01-25-2020, 03:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• phillipj
    replied
    Wow, who knew, this became a comedy thread!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X