Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wschnitz
    replied
    Yeah I don't think it works anymore. Americans vote against their best interest regularly and cry tears about tax plans that would literally not effect them.

'If you put a marginal tax rate for earnings over (x)Million It might affect me one day!'

Same thing with estate tax, millions of Americans act like one day they might have a billion dollar estate and that its a real risk for them to be ok with it. Ignoring that only like 2k families have enough wealth to be effected by an estate tax.

So wealth out of touch ideas don't exist, because Americans already voted for a 'billionaire'.

And limiting 'young voters' to 18-25 makes it seem like its not a large population. When the bigger problem is people under even like 35 voting.

Leave a comment:

• z31maniac
    replied
    I hate stupid gotcha's like that.

I don't know what a gallon of milk or a carton of OJ costs, does that make me out of touch?

I don't drink milk or eat Cheerios, so why would I be familiar with the cost of things I don't regularly purchase?

Leave a comment:

• mbonder
    replied
    Added Harold Schultz, former CEO of Starbucks to the list of possible candidates.

Not sure if he'll run as the reception from many has been that he is an out-of-touch billionaire (mainly because he wasn't even close to knowing how much a box of cheerios cost), but that's sort of what Trump was when he began his campaign for President.

Leave a comment:

• mbonder
    replied
    Statistically speaking, young people (18-25) only comprise something like 15-17% of the voting population. This is why, in general, politicians don't make all that much fuss about that demographic, whereas something like over 80% of people over 65 vote. Given the numbers, any rational thinker would put their efforts into courting retirees over young people.

2016 wasn't lost because young people didn't vote for Hillary, it was lost because middle aged and retired people didn't vote for Hillary, and it was not surprising that these people happened to be based in areas that Hillary didn't put much effort into campaigning in (with the assumption that because Obama won those areas that Hillary would as well).

Leave a comment:

• Wschnitz
    replied
    Trump will get torn apart if the Dems actually try to support anyone actually progressive.

If they do the ol 'old guards turn first' and push biden they are just going to give it away again. You don't get the massive amount of young voters to vote by pushing old fucks who don't know how to log into facebook.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X