Pikes Peak Int. Hill Climb Turbo E30 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
    Nice work! The cage looks awesome. Making your own FG hood is pretty sweet too. Looks like you get shit done.

I'd love to hear more about the 240z, since I, too, have a '71 240z (though it needs a shell swap).
    Thanks!
    Unfortunately I had stripped it all the way down, and ran out of motivation from the amount of bodywork/rustfix it needed so it sat for a while untill I had to make room for this beast. After trying for a few months to sell it, I decided to scrap it :(, Im sure ill get another one some day and toss a 370z motor or something in it.

One of the hidden bondo hack jobs was revealed on this side...

Not too shabby considering the guy paid me 50 bucks to take it off his hands lol.
    Last edited by Zodow; 05-23-2019, 09:35 AM.
    Instagram timhardyracing

Pikes Peak Hill Climb Build

Comment

Originally posted by Zodow View Post
      Well the hoosier a6 225/45/15 's are larger than an average 225. I believe the treadwidth is about 9 inches on em, not sure what the tread width is on your 255's but its probably close-ish. I had no major problem putting the power down(minus some suspension errors) or bite when it came to the course for the speeds I was at last year. If I turn up the wick then I might be worrying about traction, not to mention the rest of the drivetrain..lol

As far as going bigger it mainly comes down to rim choices for larger tires and $. I could upgrade to the 275/35/15 and find a custom deal for 15x10's or go with diamond racing and have a 10~11 inch tire :) with heavier rims :(.
      Another option is going above 15, but unless I have stupid power and get a dog box or something, beefy axles and a beefy driveshaft it would be a ticking time bomb. Alot of guys were running 275's or bigger so it sure is tempting though...

Fair enough! Clearly the tires worked considering the time you ran.
      Mark K
      1989 BMW 325i
      SCCA SEDIV TT Street Mod Champion 2011

Comment

Awesome build and ballsy driving! Love the cage design, I'd like to do something very similar on mine someday soon.
        '91 318is
        sigpic

Comment

Im sure ill get another one some day and toss a 370z motor or something in it.

at my work we have a 240z, was trying to to a VQ35HR in it but the front timing covers are very wide and get in the way of the steering shaft. we are now putting a VQ35DE into it. the 370z comes with a VQ37VHR, its lay out is much like the HR engine. might be a way to get the VHR in a 240z,my boss was not trying to over complicate things so we went with the DE.
          :borg:

Comment

Originally posted by !kid View Post
            at my work we have a 240z, was trying to to a VQ35HR in it but the front timing covers are very wide and get in the way of the steering shaft. we are now putting a VQ35DE into it. the 370z comes with a VQ37VHR, its lay out is much like the HR engine. might be a way to get the VHR in a 240z,my boss was not trying to over complicate things so we went with the DE.
            Good to know, maybe by the time I get another one there will be a good solution
            Instagram timhardyracing

Comment

Originally posted by !kid View Post
              Good to know, maybe by the time I get another one there will be a good solution
              Dunno if you guys are familiar with HybridZ, but you might find some useful info in here. I've only skimmed through it, but it seems to address the fitment issues at least somewhat.

I'm starting to amass parts for my VQ powered 280z. I've got a 280, I just bought what they said is a VQ35HR from an 07 350Z. The engine should be here next week and I can post better pictures. From what I can tell this engine uses two throttle bodies. I'll have the wiring harnesses, but I'm goin...

Comment

awesome

7speedshop.com

Comment

Did you use copper wire for the o-ring because of the MLS?
                  I've never really seen anyone use an o-ring AND mls on the block. How'd you come to the conclusion to do that?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Damn guys!!! thats a sick roll cage! and the car looks amazing!
                    sigpic

1989 BMW 325is (SOLD)
                    1990 BMW 325i Brilliantrot (SOLD)
                    1992 BMW 325IC (SOLD)
                    1991 BMW 318IS (STOLEN!)

2017 BMW M2 (WEEKEND WARRIOR)
                    (GRIGIO TELESTO RESPRAY, FULL BOLT ONS, TUNE-HPFP AND TURBO UPGRADE COMING AFTER WARRANTY IS DONE)
                    1989 BMW 325IC (PROJECT(
                    2002 FORD ESCAPE (DAILY)
                    2001 BMW 330CI (FOR SALE SOON)

"R3v, being a bunch of cheap bastards that would try to negotiate a discount on a free engine,"

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                      Did you use copper wire for the o-ring because of the MLS?
                      I've never really seen anyone use an o-ring AND mls on the block. How'd you come to the conclusion to do that?
                      It certainly is not required with an mls but it does help from my research(Mainly at high boost).

The main reasons why I went this way is because the machine shop already had the block for the other stuff and I decided to have them do it while it was all taken apart for a little extra. Being that pikes peak is a 1 time a year deal I didnt want to be having head gasket trouble, which a few teams have had problems with in the past. Just adds a bit of saftey in my eyes.

From what Ive read though, is that most guys will have trouble with stock internals before MLS trouble so who knows. I didn't have any issue with it sealing and I will continue to do it unless I have a problem.

Here's a buncha info on o-ringing if your curious. :)
                      Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.
                      Instagram timhardyracing

Comment

Another video

Here's my initial run that was cut short by the unfortunate evo crash.

2012 Red Flag Run

Enjoy!
                        Last edited by Zodow; 05-23-2019, 09:35 AM.
                        Instagram timhardyracing

Comment

It certainly is not required with an mls but it does help from my research(Mainly at high boost).

The main reasons why I went this way is because the machine shop already had the block for the other stuff and I decided to have them do it while it was all taken apart for a little extra. Being that pikes peak is a 1 time a year deal I didnt want to be having head gasket trouble, which a few teams have had problems with in the past. Just adds a bit of saftey in my eyes.

From what Ive read though, is that most guys will have trouble with stock internals before MLS trouble so who knows. I didn't have any issue with it sealing and I will continue to do it unless I have a problem.

Here's a buncha info on o-ringing if your curious. :)
                          http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...s+block+o-ring
                          Oh definitely. I'm using arp's, stock hg, and an o-ringed block.
                          I just never really saw someone do both or knew that it was possible to get a good seal with metal on metal, but I guess copper is soft and maybe you'd use stainless o-rings with a stock HG?

But yeah, if you're o-ringed you'll probably melt a piston before popped the HG Haha.

Good stuff!

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                            Oh definitely. I'm using arp's, stock hg, and an o-ringed block.
                            I just never really saw someone do both or knew that it was possible to get a good seal with metal on metal, but I guess copper is soft and maybe you'd use stainless o-rings with a stock HG?

But yeah, if you're o-ringed you'll probably melt a piston before popped the HG Haha.

Good stuff!
                            Yea, not too sure on the stock gasket, but that sounds familiar.
                            I talked with the machine shop guy and for their crazy high compression blown drag cars they use stainless on the head and block with copper gasket and he said most guys do copper with mls as well.
                            Instagram timhardyracing

Comment

Baller build and driving!

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Proper activities going on in here!

Comment

Working...
                                X