E30 Aerodynamics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDirtyS54Thirty View Post
    I got a couple things brewing, more pics to follow once I finish the rear set up.
    What lower valance/splitter is that? Looks like an M3 one, I need something similar for my non-m e30.
    I have a decent wing, but nothing up front, and I need some help there for sure.

Paul

91 318is GT3
    08 328xi wagon

Comment

What Over fenders are those?

Comment

Originally posted by pmachan View Post
        What lower valance/splitter is that? Looks like an M3 one, I need something similar for my non-m e30.
        I have a decent wing, but nothing up front, and I need some help there for sure.

Factory "is" front lip with "Ryan G" splitter

Comment

The flares look like the IE version of the 2002 turbo flares...

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
            Bump.

Anyone have any updates to share? This thread was great.
            A piece of formed lexan spanning from bumper to leading edge of the hood would help reduce some of the pressure build-up- the M3 Evo bumper seal probably helps this a little without looking like a bag of smashed arseholes.

Venting the front fenders (by cutting at about halfway between body line and trim and bending inward) would be a plus, controlling airflow into and out of the radiator (and the engine compartment as a whole) would be a plus, fences on a larger (as big as the rules and aero balance allow), flatter (depends on whether or not the car sees puddles on track or is soft enough to bottom) splitter would be a plus, spats to keep the leading edge of the tires out of airflow would be a plus, smaller mirrors would be a plus, no wipers or single wiper conversion would be a plus, smooth trim with no indicators or plate depression would be a plus, skirts, partial undertray and fences to the "frame rails" would be a plus, welding the fog light holes closed would be a plus, a modified Hartge H35 front airdam would be a plus, headlight covers mounted flush with the grille would be a plus, bigger wing end plates would increase efficiency of the wing allowing less angle, etc.

You can always just add horsepower but a lot of the above is fairly cheap. Even the 1/16" alloy sunroof delete panel with rivets is draggy and reducing the efficiency of the rear wing.

No matter what you do, never, ever use wire in airflow to brace a wing or a splitter. It's silly draggy.
            1990 325i/4/5, 1992 240SX, 1995 RRC, 1998 M3/4/5

Comment

Personally, I love the airfoil- shaped strapping and tubing
              that experimental planes now use instead of wire and pipe...

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

So I am finally getting to the point in my build where I can actually think about aero. I plan on doing a front splitter, rear diffuser as I no longer have a spare tire well, and a gt wing. Does anyone know if it makes a big enough difference in wing height? I was looking at an APR GT-250 or an APR GTC-300, but it looks like total height is somewhere around 13 inches. Roofline is somewhere around 17-18 inches. This height is achieved with their standard 11 inch pedestals. Apparently that being said, they offer a 14 inch pedestal that I could custom order that would likely bring the total height to around 16.5 inches.

Would that work better, especially if I went with the 2d shape of the GT-250 wing?

Comment

Driven on track is there a noticable difference between no spoiler and the OEM spoilers?
                  1990 kashmir beige BMW e30 327i
                  muggello rot BMW e36 M3 Gruppe A Euro
                  1990 GP weiss Porsche 964 C2
                  1997 schwarz II BMW e36 328iS supercharged

Comment

Originally posted by FRODADDY View Post
                    Driven on track is there a noticable difference between no spoiler and the OEM spoilers?
                    The OEM 'is' spoiler? There will be a difference, but you'd probably have to be acquainted with the feeling of driving the car at its limit all the time to notice (probably still won't lol).
                    Spoilers redirect air that causes unfavorable behaviors like rear-end lift at high speed. So I'd rather have it on and not feel anything, than have it off knowing it's not doing anything.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by FRODADDY View Post

No. I have driven e30's to terminal velocity (~134mph with no draft, ~160whp) and there's many other things that cause the car to feel "light" than an OEM spoiler. Funny thing is, though, if your car was NOT equipped with one, you get points deducted for them in Time Trials, which makes no sense to me.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

The spoiler doesn't produce downforce, it reduces drag on the rear end. It wouldn't make the car feel light if you took it off, but perhaps it would lower your top speed by a couple mph. That said, it is probably a very small difference.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I saw somewhere that BMW claimed a 5% reduction in drag. It's probably worth a few MPH easily, but yeah, it doesn't have anything to do with downforce.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                            The spoiler doesn't produce downforce, it reduces drag on the rear end. It wouldn't make the car feel light if you took it off, but perhaps it would lower your top speed by a couple mph. That said, it is probably a very small difference.

Sorry, I was getting at it feeling "light" without an OEM trunk lip.

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            I saw somewhere that BMW claimed a 5% reduction in drag. It's probably worth a few MPH easily, but yeah, it doesn't have anything to do with downforce.

Would be fun to do back to back experiments. We do Daytona pretty much every year. Unfortunately keeping the cars fueled and full of drivers are more important. I can say a 4.10 vs 3.73 doesn't matter much, the cars are aero limited in stock form. I've driven identically built cars, with and without the OEM the lip and didn't notice, but am also a mid pack driver. :/
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I'm sure it's very minor on E30's but isn't a rear lip also designed to keep a car stable at high speed, not in the way of down force. But increasing the drag on the car in a predictable way. I'm not very knowledgeable on car areo but we use devices very similar on rockets to increase "base drag".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                              91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                              Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                              E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                              "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Hope you guys didn't think I was talking about downforce when I said an absent spoiler can create rear-end lift. Spoilers aren't for downforce, correct.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Working...
                                X