E30 Aerodynamics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Aerodynamics

Hey everyone. I'm building an E30 for time trials and have been doing some research into the most functional aero parts I can add. It doesn't seem like too many E30 race cars run an adjustable GT style wing and big front splitter. Does anyone have any opinions/experience as to how functional these additions would be? I'm not planning on building a car with tons of power (250-300 at the wheels), so I'm wondering if there will be positive enough gains from a nice aero setup.

I'm also well aware that the effectiveness of aero parts will depend on the rest of the car (suspension, ride height, power, weight, etc), but lets just talk generally about a 250WHP E30, full welded in cage, with AST coils sitting at 2400lbs. My main goal here is to put as much power to the ground as possible at corner exit, and to keep the car more planted in long sweepers. I also have a lofty goal of running Pikes Peak in 2015, and feel as though I can build a fast track/time trials/hill climb car as long as I allow myself some adjustability.

Keep in mind that we aren't talking huge money here, since I will be building everything myself. More time than money.

Thanks ahead of time for any thoughtful responses.
    sigpicLevel Motorsport: www.levelmotorsport.com

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/levelmotorsport/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LeVelIndustries/?fref=ts

I am very interested in this also.
    1990 e30 325is S50 swap (NASA GTS2 race car)
    1990 e30 325is
    1988 e30 M3 S50 euro swap

Comment

There's some running them. And IIRC, don't have to spend too much (i.e. ebay) as long as they are structurally sound.

Comment

This is also something I have been curious about, especially splitters. I know how people mount them on e36's, but haven't seen any info about something similar on e30's.
        88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
        We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Give Tony at APR performance a call. They are making me a custom wing and a custom splitter to match my mtech 1 kit on my track car. Great guys to work with! (Not the cheapest) will post pics when she's all done.
          The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

APR like the VW/Audi tuning company?
            88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
            We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

He's talking about this company, matthugie.

rwh11385, what wing is that on the red car? I like the mounting. The uprights look very well done.

Comment

Let's talk materials too. On ebay you can buy a wing in carbon fiber, aluminum, fiberglass, and ABS plastic. ABS is cheapest, but my knee jerk reaction is that it would be fragile and possibly have too much flex at high speeds, although this material is standard for OEM pieces. Fiberglass also breaks down over time. I'm thinking I would choose between aluminum and carbon fiber, with weight being the major thing to consider. Does anyone have experience with ABS plastic ones? Do they weigh less than aluminum?

For a front splitter I've seen them made of plywood. Any other material options for a homemade version? I'm concerned doing fiberglass with a foam core could get destroyed pretty easily, but it would be very light.

Comment

This cheap stupid stuff was worth 1-1.5 seconds per lap at Gingerman (South Haven Michigan).

splitter is just 3/8 plywood. Wing has a proper airfoil shape (wood ribs with foam core)

Ben
                  Thelma-Louise, the '88is Chump Car - back to M20 power!

2014 ChumpCar Season Schedule!
                  April 5-6 Autobahn, IL - Sat: 1st! Sun: 3rd
                  May23-25 Watkins Glen, NY: 4th, 5th, 4th
                  October 4 PittRace Sprints: 2nd in C-class
                  October 18-19 NCM, Bowling Green KY: 2nd, 1st!
                  Nov 1-2 Watkins Glen - Chumpionship - 1st car to exit the race with significant body damage :(

Find us on FB! Schaut Speed Motorsports

Comment

Love red "318 i". Hopefully mine will like something like that soon
                    1990 e30 325is S50 swap (NASA GTS2 race car)
                    1990 e30 325is
                    1988 e30 M3 S50 euro swap

Comment

Best aero mods for an E30? Pretty simple, look at an M3, all done by the factory,tested, and race approved. The rear window and trunk lid made a huge difference in reducing drag. That alone lowered the CoD from 0.39 to 0.33, front splitter and airdam? Evo 2 airdam with Evo3 splitter. Seal up all the gaps around the hood and grill, (all stock evo parts that can be ordered with little trouble.)

Will
                      '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                      '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                      '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                      '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                        Best aero mods for an E30? Pretty simple, look at an M3, all done by the factory,tested, and race approved. The rear window and trunk lid made a huge difference in reducing drag. That alone lowered the CoD from 0.39 to 0.33, front splitter and airdam? Evo 2 airdam with Evo3 splitter. Seal up all the gaps around the hood and grill, (all stock evo parts that can be ordered with little trouble.)

Will

So you are saying a stock M3 spoiler is superior to a GT wing? I'm curious as to how that changes when a car is heavily modified, so not within factory spec anymore. I like the idea for using Evo parts for the front end, I'll look into it.

Comment

Originally posted by RoccoB517 View Post
                          So you are saying a stock M3 spoiler is superior to a GT wing? I'm curious as to how that changes when a car is heavily modified, so not within factory spec anymore. I like the idea for using Evo parts for the front end, I'll look into it.
                          I think what he's saying is the M3 aero bits are designed from the factory to be aero-worthy additions to the E30. Im sure most people haven't thrown a e30 with a GT wing in the windtunnel and done accurate analysis on said parts like BMW had.

Comment

Originally posted by CabbE30 View Post
                            I think what he's saying is the M3 aero bits are designed from the factory to be aero-worthy additions to the E30. Im sure most people haven't thrown a e30 with a GT wing in the windtunnel and done accurate analysis on said parts like BMW had.
                            Exactly what I was saying. Think about it, BMW spent a HUGE chunk of $ to make the M3 the winner it is. They didn't screw around. That said, I don't know if the adjustable Evo rear spoiler will produce more or less downforce, the '92 DTM gurney flap is huge and will produce downforce, but with lots of drag. The question is, how much drag would a GT wing and its support create with regard to its provided downforce? I don't know if the GT style wings were legal to run back in the day, if they were, there was a reason BMW didn't go that route, if not, its hard to say. I've seen a few current racing M3s running the GT spoilers, but I don't know if it works better that the Evo one. I guess if someone wanted to get creative, you could tuft the car and try both back to back (yeah, might be hard to do) using a go pro to see where the airflow is going on the back of the car. Up front however, I don't know that you are going to do much better than the EVO parts. You can pick up the hood seals for about $50 or so, a little more for the single one that goes between the grill and the bumper, you can make something that would seal up the front of the headlights and grill where they meet the hood.

Will
                            '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                            '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                            '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                            '88 BMW M3

Comment

i thought a gurney flap was just to improve stability at speed.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                              DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Working...
                              X