No announcement yet.

Itemized Weight Reduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

..also helps to start with the lightest chassis E30. Suppose you started with an '84 316 that you just happened to find already caged and stripped on Craigslist over the weekend.

Stock form already 2345.
    Now, stupid light.
    Target - sub 2100.
    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    2016 Ford Flex
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

You mean 318...
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

No. I mean 316. Look it up. Gray market car.

All BMW 3-series E30 Sedan phase-I/1 versions offered for the year 1984 with complete specs, performance and technical data in the catalogue of cars.

..and actually it's lighter then I quoted. Starting 2100-ish, which would explain when one of my buddies was able to lift a corner off the ground while removing a lug nut..
        2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Full cage, channel steel to tie sub frames together, channel tube inside the bumper covers and fuel cell conversion with about 3" of fuel (maybe 1.5 gallons) painted and stickered is 2400. 7" steel racing rims with tubes. channel steel replaced the front frame horns.

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
          Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

Im very interested to see how much my car will weigh. Carbureted m30 swap backed by a getrag 240, thinned wiring harness, no rear seat or belts, all insulation and sound deadening removed, manual window conversion, no carpet, No ac ect. 2200lb 220hp hopefully
            = Heidi 1988 325 -> 335i. 7200rpm built M30

Comment

Smelzer I love the pic with the back wheel off the ground. That thing is a tank for what it weighs.
              Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

How much weight would it take off to remove the power steering/swap out the rack for an E36 steering rack? What about a manual window conversion?
                '93 E30 325ic - CURRENT | '99 E36 M3 - SOLD | '94 E34 530i - SOLD

"I hit the gasser, go faster, all you hear is dual exhaust flowmaster."

Comment

Originally posted by MannyTranny View Post
                  How much weight would it take off to remove the power steering/swap out the rack for an E36 steering rack? What about a manual window conversion?
                  I weighed my power steering set up and it was pretty close to 5kg. Pump, lines, belt, reservoir and fluid. That was from a 323i/M20B23.

If you delete AC and PS you can also delete the accessories pulley off the crank which would have to weigh at least 1lb.

Comment

1989 325i
                    2 door

weight reduction mods:
                    -drivers side race seat
                    -trunk tar removal
                    -full power steering removal
                    -full AC removal (with the exception of whatever is in the cabin)
                    -cruise control removal (with the exception of whatever is in the cabin)

weight with 3/8 tank of gas and no driver on a truck scale +/-10lbs:
                    2640lbs

Comment

As stated before, you definitely need to be aware of what chassis you start with. There is huge differences in base weight through the years. The 84-early 85 are by far the lightest US spec cars, while the plastic bumper cars were way heavier by the end of production.

If you are wanting to go light, your best bet is finding a diving board car and then put it on a diet.

My own PRO3 car started as an early 85, and has always had trouble meeting the minimum weight requirement in the class (2650), and that is with ALL the stock sound deadening on the floors in the passenger compartment and trunk.. Unless I add over 100# of steel, I won't pass at the end of a race.
                      2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Yea mine (84 MY) has a full interior, 12" lukebox, no A/C, no power steering, and an aluminum 24v motor and weighs 2450 with a full tank.
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                          ..also helps to start with the lightest chassis E30. Suppose you started with an '84 316 that you just happened to find already caged and stripped on Craigslist over the weekend.

Stock form already 2345.
                          Now, stupid light.
                          Target - sub 2100.
                          yeah you're definitely right.

but for me its not about having the lightest e30 possible, its about how light I can get MY e30 specifically. otherwise I wouldn't have gotten a vert, or an e30 in general for that matter.
                          it all comes back to just having fun, not trying to win any trophys or anything like that.
                          sigpic
                          @joshua.j.rizo

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
                          Just remember next time you hear "late night when you need my love" I'm gonna be sitting somewhere way more bitchin' than you, driving or not.

BUY MY BUGATTI WHEELS:
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=377693

WRITEUP TO MY RHD SWAP:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371904

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            I have a question... why?

edit: also this: http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8331
                            tracking it because my buddy got me addicted the day he invited me to an open track at willow. I was hooked instantly.

gutting it because a) weight reduction for the days at the track obviously, and b) a fully gutted and painted interior looks nicer to me than a reupholstered oem interior. "not every show car is a race car, but every race car is a show car".

I know some people might think it's silly to track your daily (especially when your daily is a vert) but theres nice weather every day in SoCal and willow springs is an hour away... so when you think about it, a track ready DD vert is actually perfect. at least for me anyway.
                            sigpic
                            @joshua.j.rizo

Just remember next time you hear "late night when you need my love" I'm gonna be sitting somewhere way more bitchin' than you, driving or not.

BUY MY BUGATTI WHEELS:

WRITEUP TO MY RHD SWAP:

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                              My own PRO3 car started as an early 85, and has always had trouble meeting the minimum weight requirement in the class (2650), and that is with ALL the stock sound deadening on the floors in the passenger compartment and trunk.. Unless I add over 100# of steel, I won't pass at the end of a race.
                              thats the great thing about willow. the open track days are basically "do you have a helmet? is your car leaking oil? okay you're good".

now i'm not saying i'm gonna half ass all the safety aspects of a track car, but when you're just showing up for open track days, you don't have to worry about all kind of rules and regulations. if I get any more hooked though, I can definitely see myself building some sort of competitive track car in the future.
                              sigpic
                              @joshua.j.rizo

BUY MY BUGATTI WHEELS:

WRITEUP TO MY RHD SWAP:

Comment

you definitely need to be aware of what chassis you start with
                                Truth.

My 2/87 eta, sitting next to an 84, last weekeend, is #200 heavier. Kevin's #120 under weight, I'm nearly #100 over, and from looking at them, there is no difference whatsoever. Well, except for my beer belly...

t
                                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                                X