Itemized Weight Reduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kamotors View Post
    I'm doing the same thing.I'm trying to shed another 150lbs but my cars already stripped, its somewhat difficult lol. I've even thinned out the body harness. going to have to start cutting and replacing things with fiberglass and carbon fiber.
    How about remodeling the font bracing of the car. Here is a picture of the edlinger E30. Notice the cross brace from the shock towers down to the frame rails and also the holes in the rails forward of the cross brace. This has allowed them to remove all front bracing.

sigpic

Comment

I am in the middle of prepping my track car. Wondering if someone has some comparison weights. I havent weighed anything i tossed. Basically it is completely gutted as of now. No hvac (none of it), half dash, on essential wiring, no locking actuators or window motors, will have lexan door/quarter glass, has 1 corbeau, has rollbar (vintage sports similar to kirk). Will delete ps. Willbdelete sinroof cassette. Keeping exterior lights and body intact. Im curious if anyone has a similar setup and what they have weighed in at? 88 325is.

Comment

If it's 88, and not a full cage - I am going to guess roughly 2580.
        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
        2016 Ford Flex
        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

^this seems awfully heavy for as much as ive deleted/plan on deleting. I mean what was the atock weight of the car? 2800?

Comment

Originally posted by mpowerful View Post
            ^this seems awfully heavy for as much as ive deleted/plan on deleting. I mean what was the atock weight of the car? 2800?

i'd guess about the same, maaaybe 60-100 lbs less if anything. later cars are heavier and what you've removed isn't all that heavy.
            sigpic
            @joshua.j.rizo

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
            Just remember next time you hear "late night when you need my love" I'm gonna be sitting somewhere way more bitchin' than you, driving or not.

BUY MY BUGATTI WHEELS:
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=377693

WRITEUP TO MY RHD SWAP:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371904

Comment

Originally posted by mpowerful View Post
              ^this seems awfully heavy for as much as ive deleted/plan on deleting?
              I would estimate a lot closer to 2200lb.

EDIT: My M20 swapped 318is is 1125kg, or 2480lb with a full tank of petrol. It has a full interior with only one steel framed fixed back driver's seat and a Momo Prototipo for interior weight reduction. I could easily gut an extra 200-250lb out of the car without much effort at all.

Not sure where people are getting their 2500lb+ guesses from, did the USDM market throw 300lb of ballast in these cars?
              Last edited by Hooffenstein HD; 08-06-2015, 09:13 PM.

Comment

use this nifty list that has already been compiled to add it up....

1----Stuff you can remove (free mods)

Interior:

-front seat
                non sport leather........................................... ..............38.5lbs
                non sport vinyl............................................. ...............37.5lbs
                sport seat leather........................................... .............40lbs (estimate)
                sport seat vinyl............................................. ..............37lbs (estimate)

-rear seat
                Vinyl............................................. .............................25lbs. (estimate)
                Leather with headrests/armrests...................................47lbs.
                Head Rests Alone............................................. ...........5.5lbs.

-Sun visors............................................ ......................3lbs.

-Doors inner tubes............................................. ..........10 lbs.

-Power window motors............................................ .....2lb 14oz each

-Door Glass 2-door.............................................. ......~9 lbs. per door
                -4-door Rear door glass............................................. . 16lb 3oz total

-trunk tar............................................... .....................36-50 lbs. (car dependant)

-interior carpeting .................................................. .....34lb 10.6oz

-interior tar............................................... ..................15lbs 13oz

-rear speaker deck.............................................. ........7lbs. (estimate)

-all factory stereo speakers & headunit.........................11lbs.

-Dash.............................................. ..........................20lbs.

-AC plastic ducting........................................... ..........5lbs.

-Front door panels............................................ ..........10lbs.

-Rear door panels............................................ ...........8lbs.

-Headliner......................................... .........................5lbs. 12.4oz

-Rear seat belts............................................. .............6lbs. (estimate)

-Glovebox.......................................... ........................6lbs. (estimate)

-sheet metal behind rear seat back..............................10lbs. (estimate)

-Speaker shelf sheet metal..........................................20l bs. (estimate)

-Interior TOTAL: ~331

Trunk/Exterior:

-trunk carpet/lining............................................ ..........17lbs.

-spare tire.............................................. ....................33lbs. (estimate)

-power steering pump/belt/bracket...............................35lbs. (estimate)

-Air conditioning components........................................ 29.5lbs. total
                Condenser canister
                Evap. Core
                Refrig. Lines incl. into the occupant compart.
                Compressor/bracket/belt
                Aux. Fan

-Radio antenna........................................... ................2.5lbs.

-FullWindshield washer tank/pump/lines........................10lbs. (estimate)

-Firewall Isulation......................................... ..............5lbs.

-factory Jack.............................................. ................5lbs 2.4ozlbs.

-Oil cooler w/lines............................................. ..........4lbs. 10oz.

-tools/amp/antenna........................................... ..........7lbs.

-muffler heatshield........................................ ..............3lbs. (without hardware)

-Stock Catalytic Conv.............................................. ....24lbs.

-splash shield skid plate (plastic type)...........................10lbs. (estimate)

-driveshaft tunnel/gas tank heat shield..........................5lbs.

-driveshaft vibration dampner......................................2lbs 13.9oz

-Auxilary crankshaft pulley unit....................................1lb 3.6oz

-High Beams............................................. ..................1lb 10oz for pair

-composite impact core from late plastic bumpers..........11.2lbs (front)

-spare tire well.............................................. ..............11lbs 12oz

-Trunk/Exterior TOTAL: ~236 lbs.

TOTAL if all removed........................................... .........~ 568lbs (averaging where appropriate)[/u] add the list up yourself to get a more accurate account of your specific weight reduction agenda. This also doesn't take into account weight added from replacement parts such as the new seat(s) to replace the factory seats, or the lexan windows to replace the factory glass. Obviously you'll have to add the replacement parts weight to be accurate.

2----Stuff you can replace with lighter parts (fiberglass/CF hoods, aluminum fabricated parts, replacement seats, etc. etc.)

Lexan rear door windows (4door)......................................2lbs 4.6oz each

Poly pro replacement front seat with AL bracket..................16lbs. (21.5lb loss over non-sport vinyl!)

Replacing elec. factory mirrors with lightweight ones............5lbs. loss (estimate)

Fiberglass IE Hood.............................................. .............14lbs (16lb loss over stock hood)

3----If it doesn't fit in one of the first 2 catagories it will go here.

Stock Airbox with filter............................................ ........3lbs 5oz

-Factory rubber/vinyl 4-spoke steering wheel.....................4lbs 13oz

-Weight of stock basketweave wheel.................................16lbs.

-Weight of factory exhaust system 325i dual......................90lbs (estimate)

-Battery (duralast 48-d)................................................ ..38lbs

-Hood with Lining............................................ ................30lbs (estimate)

-Air box with filter............................................ ...............3.5lbs

-power sunroof........................................... ....................24lbs.

-trunk lid............................................... .........................22lbs.

-battery, positive cable, tray, and hold down......................44lbs. 3.5 oz.
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                  Megatron -

There was a lot of changes in the basic unibody of the E30 over the run. As you start working on the different years in Racecar form (basically stripped body shells) you start noticing some of the area's that were different.

I can't point to a specific place that is significantly lighter than a later model, but you see the difference in the inner sheet metal of the trunk area, the underbody and in other odd places.. For instance, mine doesn't have the factory anchor points that were added in later bodies (used when transporting the cars from the factory.) While it may only add a half pound at most, it all adds up. But also, there is changes in the wiring (which was different from year to year) and on a fully outfitted car, materials for interior bits.

Like I said, I can't put my finger on an exact difference, but perhaps next time I have my racecar parked next to my buddies PRO3 car (his is an '88) then I can make notes of the variations..

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                  ..also helps to start with the lightest chassis E30. Suppose you started with an '84 316 that you just happened to find already caged and stripped on Craigslist over the weekend.

Stock form already 2345.
                  Now, stupid light.
                  Target - sub 2100.
                  Weight differences between 2 door bare shells are very small thoughout production. Lightest ones were the 1983 or so shells, at 192 kg if memory serves. Even the M3 is 227 kg, no more.
                  ..a facelift shell seems to be quoted to be 198kg just like most pre facelifts.

Weight differences depend on the parts you put in. Floor lining alone, 5 kilos heavier in a facelift compared to earliest models.
                  Last edited by petrolhead; 08-18-2015, 07:20 AM.

Comment

After running the vin through Real OEM, we found it's technically an '83. So your statement is still true. ;)
                    2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Regarding wieght reduction.. With my project I've done bigger things, little things and stuff most people wouldn't bother with. Just because I can, and it all adds up.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        -power steering pump/belt/bracket...............................35lbs. (estimate)
                        The power steering pump, both high-pressure lines, belt, reservoir, clamps, and fluid weighs ~14# (didn't weigh the old fluid or belt). I left the bracket b/c alternator (?)

BTW, Simon, your link that you posted to e30tech earlier in this thread seems to be dead.

Cheers!
                        :devil:Alex:devil:
                        '89 e30

Comment

S52, full cage, no heater etc, alum dash, No interior,Single OMP seat, No door windows, lexan quarter windows, Sunroof, headliner gone. 2351# with a full tank.
                          I have a fiberglass hood that needs to go on, looking for a fiberglass trunk.

That should get it to 2300 ish.

Shoe

Comment

Originally posted by pshooter View Post
                            S52, full cage, no heater etc, alum dash, No interior,Single OMP seat, No door windows, lexan quarter windows, Sunroof, headliner gone. 2351# with a full tank.
                            I have a fiberglass hood that needs to go on, looking for a fiberglass trunk.

That should get it to 2300 ish.

Shoe

What year is the chassis you started with, because that’s worth a couple hundred pounds depending on if early vs late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            2016 Ford Flex

Comment

87. Diving boards and all.

Comment

Working...
                              X