Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a track

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    This is a really cool idea, but I just don't seeing it being realistic. A rally cross track would be much more realistic.
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

    Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

    Comment


      #17



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1984 Alpina B6 2.8/1 #35
      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      1991 Racecar (Chase Schmidt's former drift car - M30)
      2006 BMW X3
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by stonea View Post
        This is a really cool idea, but I just don't seeing it being realistic. A rally cross track would be much more realistic.
        I agree....moving dirt is usually never monitored. As soon as you pour something or build something on it, Oh dear lord..

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by Fooshe View Post
          I agree....moving dirt is usually never monitored. As soon as you pour something or build something on it, Oh dear lord..


          Not to mention the cost. Properly built and graded track would be in the millions. At least 10 probably more. Need the track, stand, pit/paddock, concession/bathroom, plumbing, lighting unless you plan on only running dawn to dusk. Your talking 2 miles of pavement that has to be quality. Cant race on shitty concrete. Id be making sure you can get away with it according to city,state and county ordinances and then finding investors to help foot the bill and bring in events.


          1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top


          Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

          Comment


            #20
            So you know, Tire Rack's track covers 500,000 sq feet and is about a mile long when you measure all the pavement. And if you go with a track like the BMW performance center has, it's about the same when you total all the feet.

            To give you an idea of the costs, those facilities spent close to $1.5M when all was said and done just to put down the track and skid pad areas, alone. That's just the surface, and nothing else.

            If you have that kind of chedder, go for it!
            Attached Files

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Fooshe View Post
              So you know, Tire Rack's track covers 500,000 sq feet and is about a mile long when you measure all the pavement. And if you go with a track like the BMW performance center has, it's about the same when you total all the feet.

              To give you an idea of the costs, those facilities spent close to $1.5M when all was said and done just to put down the track and skid pad areas, alone. That's just the surface, and nothing else.

              If you have that kind of chedder, go for it!
              Tire rack size track is what I was considering. 1.5M is about double what I was guessing the cost to pave would have been, but there's a lot of factors I'm sure I didn't think of.

              I never intended to have a 2 mile long track with stands and paddocks and plumbing and lighting. My idea was solely intended to be an autocross sized track, thats all.

              Upon further consideration, I've abandoned this concept entirely and instead will be constructing storage facilities, as these create rather passive income.

              You guys aren't any fun.

              Comment


                #22
                It would have been awesome its just hard to do anymore. Most tracks that around were built years and years ago and have just been maintained and changed up. Not often do you see brand new tracks opening up and if there is they usually are being built out in the middle of nowhere or where an old track used to be and is nothing but open land. The cost is the major factor. Opening up shop/storage space is a much better idea.


                1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                1991 318i 4dr slick top


                Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

                Comment


                  #23
                  If I had powerball money,I would build a miniature Nurburgring
                  NASA
                  BMWCCA member
                  PCA member 25yrs




                  1991 318IS slick top
                  1997 M3 sedan
                  2001 325CI DD

                  “whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by FknBMW View Post

                    You guys aren't any fun.

                    Who's no fun? You are the one NOT building a track....
                    Lorin


                    Originally posted by slammin.e28
                    The M30 is God's engine.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by e30s50dan View Post
                      If I had powerball money,I would build a miniature Nurburgring


                      Supposedly some track in Nevada is trying to do this. Except they wanna go longer then the ring is.


                      1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                      1991 318i 4dr slick top


                      Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

                      Comment


                        #26
                        I sure as shit am no fun.

                        t
                        guilty as charged, your honor.
                        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                          Who's no fun? You are the one NOT building a track....
                          <3

                          True. I'll stick to building the cars for the track and just race them there.

                          BUT if I win the lotto I'm going to have my own damn track.

                          & R3V member discounts.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X