Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Accumulator - OEM Ford Option

Hey guys!

I was looking around for one of those VW fuel accumulators that Ireland used to sell for my M52 track car (it's an ETA with dual pumps) - seems to be NLA everywhere unfortunately.

I stumbled across an OEM Ford unit from early model Broncos and Rangers:

Same principle, but a different shape etc. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work in the same manner? Much cheaper than buying a used VW unit from Europe (I saw some on eBay for like $200+ before shipping!).

Anyone have any experience or feedback?
    Forgive me, I used to race a Honda.

That might just work-

a quick browse of the Ford forums seem to describe it as an accusump for
    your fuel system. But they describe it as being for the lift pump on the
    earlier trucks, not the high pressure system. So it'd probably
    only help early cars with the low/high pressure pumps...

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

In for an alternative also!
      sigpic
      1991 318is S52
      1987 325i Vert
      1991 325i
      2011 e70 X5

Need Anything E30? -> http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
        That might just work-

a quick browse of the Ford forums seem to describe it as an accusump for
        your fuel system. But they describe it as being for the lift pump on the
        earlier trucks, not the high pressure system. So it'd probably
        only help early cars with the low/high pressure pumps...

t
        That's to say the 84-85s and ETAs, correct?

I thought in general the fuel accumulator (including the "Ireland" version) was only for dual pump fuel systems, not the single pump ones.

Comment

Originally posted by slums View Post
          That's to say the 84-85s and ETAs, correct?

I thought in general the fuel accumulator (including the "Ireland" version) was only for dual pump fuel systems, not the single pump ones.
          That's correct, this should theoretically work for the dual pump E30s.

Finding a good spot to mount it might be tough. I'd also double check the orientation and try to see how the pick up points work internally, to make sure you don't mount it in a way that starves easily.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

The pasted in photos below were gathered from r3v members in my search to understand how to install the fuel accumulator on my rig. It appears to work for both single and dbl pump systems, as my 87 325i with a dbl pump system works just fine. The car has a 24v s52 with all CA smog equipment installed.

I installed the CARR Industries unit which is much smaller than the one you are considering, doesn't look like they make or sell it anymore though.
            Perhaps an enterprising soul could get a 3d printer and start making them?

As mentioned above there is very little room under there to mount anything.

Comment

Originally posted by bradmer View Post
              The pasted in photos below were gathered from r3v members in my search to understand how to install the fuel accumulator on my rig. It appears to work for both single and dbl pump systems, as my 87 325i with a dbl pump system works just fine. The car has a 24v s52 with all CA smog equipment installed.
              As mentioned in the quote, you have to have an external high pressure pump after the accumulator. Of course it can be done on a car that came with a single pump, but you definitely need 2 in the end.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by bradmer View Post

I installed the CARR Industries unit which is much smaller than the one you are considering, doesn't look like they make or sell it anymore though.
                Perhaps an enterprising soul could get a 3d printer and start making them?

As mentioned above there is very little room under there to mount anything.

I did a quick 3D print design and printed out a proof of concept piece using a nylon filament.

Unfortunately the nylon dissolves in gas (tested it over a few days), and I don't have access to any more "hardcore" filaments with this particular printer.

There was also the question of having to find a way to epoxy some brass fittings etc.

Meanwhile I ordered the Ford unit, so more to follow when I receive it!
                Attached Files

Comment

Update on surge tanks?

Currently building a badass coffee table
                  Random stuff on insta @kevanromero

Comment

That ford tank look problematic for a high pressure pump. The fuel feed is not at the bottom of the tank, it looks like all 4 are above the fuel level inside the tank, so the high pressure pump would have to lift fuel up and out of the tank.

HP pumps are typically not able to self-prime or lift fuel, hence why a 2nd lift pump supplies the high pressure pump with a large volume of fuel.
                    If you want a simple DIY solution for an early model, coil up a length of fuel hose 2-3 times before it goes into the high pressure pump. This will hold just enough fuel to prevent most starvation since high pressure pumps dont pump a large volume of fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                      That ford tank look problematic for a high pressure pump. The fuel feed is not at the bottom of the tank, it looks like all 4 are above the fuel level inside the tank, so the high pressure pump would have to lift fuel up and out of the tank.

HP pumps are typically not able to self-prime or lift fuel, hence why a 2nd lift pump supplies the high pressure pump with a large volume of fuel.
                      If you want a simple DIY solution for an early model, coil up a length of fuel hose 2-3 times before it goes into the high pressure pump. This will hold just enough fuel to prevent most starvation since high pressure pumps dont pump a large volume of fuel.
                      Thanks for the insight, didn't know that the HP pumps couldn't pull fuel out of the tank.

On another note, the Ford unit is HUGE. Nowhere that made sense that it could fit. I guess coiling some fuel line may be an option.

Also, if anyone wants to take the time to give me schematics or a CAD drawing of the old fuel accumulator from Ireland, I could potentially do a plastic injection mold if there was a big enough group buy.

Comment

I happen to have a brand new NOS VW accumulator in a box at the back of my shop, PM if you would like to purchase it.

On another note, I have built several endurance cars and just use a cheap aluminum tank, like this:

...and mounted it between the strut towers in the trunk of the car.
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:
                        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I'd trust aluminum in my racecar before I'd trust something I 3D printed...

That being said, I've never had the same issues of starvation in my early two pump setup like all my friends have had in their later single pump style.
                          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                          2016 Ford Flex
                          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                            That being said, I've never had the same issues of starvation in my early two pump setup like all my friends have had in their later single pump style.

The dual pump setup works well, except we were killing the driver side pumps since they were just running wide open all the time (not sure if you did the tee method, or pumped from driver to passenger). We do 12-24hr races, so the extra capacity was a bonus. We still run out of fuel at Daytona at 1hr 45min, most other tracks we can make a full 2hr.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                              The dual pump setup works well, except we were killing the driver side pumps since they were just running wide open all the time (not sure if you did the tee method, or pumped from driver to passenger). We do 12-24hr races, so the extra capacity was a bonus. We still run out of fuel at Daytona at 1hr 45min, most other tracks we can make a full 2hr.
                              Is that on M20?

Last 14hr race we did on my car, M20 stock except for cam/injectors/chip, was getting 1:30 per stint at the Ridge. And while we could only dump 10 gallons (almost 12 with our bumped out cans) we never had starvation issues. Even with an extended yellow and going a couple 1:45 stints.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                              2016 Ford Flex
                              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Working...
                              X