4x100 big brake kit thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skafrog View Post
    They are custom, I made a few sets in case they got destroyed. I am running a 25mm MC with e21 booster. The brakes feel great IMHO.
    Very nice. Since I'll be running boosterless I'm trying to figure out how to make the car reasonably driveable on the street from time to time. I'll have the benefit of a 6-7:1 pedal ratio, plus I'm planning on using 3/4" masters (19mm), but I'm still wondering how it will feel on the street even with a 300mm BBK.

Which PFC compound are you running?

Comment

I am running 11s. The wilwood setup shares pad shape with an AP caliper, so the availability of pads is pretty good. PFC 7751, hawk 521, ferodo 3097 all work.

NASA MidSouth TT Director / GTS2 #018
      Mods: Coastal PS Fluid, 10w40 Oil
      Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Comment

Nice, doing some quick research it looks like that pad shape is very reasonably priced. Probably doesn't take too long to start recouping costs vs. buying OE shaped pads that have lower volume and wear more quickly and unevenly.

Speaking of which, do you have one of the differential bore Wilwood superlites, or are both pistons the same size? Is pad wear even?

Do you have any photos or more details on which part of the caliper requires shaving?

Comment

Originally posted by R3VM3UP View Post
          Nice, doing some quick research it looks like that pad shape is very reasonably priced. Probably doesn't take too long to start recouping costs vs. buying OE shaped pads that have lower volume and wear more quickly and unevenly.

Speaking of which, do you have one of the differential bore Wilwood superlites, or are both pistons the same size? Is pad wear even?

Do you have any photos or more details on which part of the caliper requires shaving?
          The cost savings in the long run is why I initially made the switch. I was running through PFC 06's every 2 weekends before I made the swap, now I am at 6 weekends for the fronts and 8 for the rear before changing pads and rotors. I have the same size pistons. The wear is OK, Wilwoods are not known for stiffness so there is some pad taper. I will snap some pics of the caliper the next time I have a wheel off to show the shaving better.

Future Mods: Bosch Micro-Edge Wiper Blades, Painter's Tape, Spark Plugs, Freezer for Nutty Buddys, Adam Nitti CD's

Comment

Thanks, I'd really appreciate that. It seems like the Wilwoods offer great bang for the buck, despite not being quite up to the quality level of something like AP, but then again they are around half the price.

Do the superlite calipers have anti knockback springs? Any issues with knockback that you've experienced?

Comment

Using superlites with Massive’s race kit and boosterless setup.

Have incredible pedal feel and just finished 3 seasons on the pads/rings they are only 1/2 used! Using the highest friction pads from Wildwood. They have great bite/release and haven’t been hard on the the rotors.

Never have had any knockback issues. I think most of those issues are a result of poor install and are due to the caliper not being square over the center of the rotor and/or worn out wheel bearings.

Comment

Excellent, I appreciate the feedback. Is that the wilwood H compound you are referring to?

I'd be interested in hearing more details on your master cylinder setup, particularly master cylinder and caliper piston sizes. Are you using Lee's dual master bracket and do you have the rear bbk as well?

Comment

Excellent, I appreciate the feedback. Is that the wilwood H compound you are referring to?

I'd be interested in hearing more details on your master cylinder setup, particularly master cylinder and caliper piston sizes. Are you using Lee's dual master bracket and do you have the rear bbk as well?
                  Here's the setup
                  • Massive Single Master Delete
                  • 25mm Ate Master
                  • Wilwood proportion valve, installed next to shifter with new rear brake lines that run inside the cabin for in car adjustment when driving
                  • Massive Front and Rear Race 300x20 BBK
                  • Wilwood Polymatrix 15H Pads front and back
                  • Wilwood 120-11130 Forged Superlite (1.38" Pistons) out front
                  • Wilwood 120-9721 Dynapro Lug Mount Caliper, (1.00" Pistons) in the back

Love the setup. Nice firm pedal that allows excellent modulation on track. Tested many masters and piston combinations before I got it right!

Note: The pads need to heat up to get good bite, also the leg effort required to stop the car is much more then a boosterless setup. Not sure it's great for a car that sees street duty outside of driving from and too track events.
                  Last edited by kevnj; 11-14-2018, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Custom, based upon Stoptech STR43 front and rear and 300x32 AP Racing J hooks. PFC01. OE ABS and Wilwood pedal box.

Since going to pedal box, over booster setup, it's quite interesting that i now have appreciable pad knockback, whereas I didnt before. its definitely a 'pump the pedal on the back straight' kind of knock back

88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Originally posted by kevnj View Post
                      Here's the setup
                      • Massive Single Master Delete
                      • 25mm Ate Master
                      • Wilwood proportion valve, installed next to shifter with new rear brake lines that run inside the cabin for in car adjustment when driving
                      • Massive Front and Rear Race 300x20 BBK
                      • Wilwood Polymatrix 15H Pads front and back
                      • Wilwood 120-11130 Forged Superlite (1.38" Pistons) out front
                      • Wilwood 120-9721 Dynapro Lug Mount Caliper, (1.00" Pistons) in the back

Love the setup. Nice firm pedal that allows excellent modulation on track. Tested many masters and piston combinations before I got it right!

Note: The pads need to heat up to get good bite, also the leg effort required to stop the car is much more then a boosterless setup. Not sure it's great for a car that sees street duty outside of driving from and too track events.
                      Thanks for the details. Is your master 25mm front and rear?

Burkey, that setup looks nice, does it fit under any 15" wheels? Do the Stoptech calipers have anti-knockback springs? What are the condition of your wheel bearings?

Comment

Nope, 16 minimum ��
                        Tried a team dynamics 1.3 in 15x7...not even close
                        Calipers do have knock back springs... probably not very strong one suspects!
                        88 325is. S54, CSL airbox, Motec M800, Motec C127, Motec PDM15, Stoptech STR, MCS 2 way coilovers, Forgeline wheels, Recaro SPA, Eisenmann, Personal, lots of custom.

90 318is. As new OEM+, BBS LM, AST 4210 2 way coilovers, Wilwood SL6R/SL4R, Dynaudio, Recaro Experts

Comment

Guys,

Anyone running massive 300x32 (race) kit behind either TRM or JongBloed 15” wheels?

I am about to pull to the trigger , the sport kit clears trm 15x8 with a thin spacer but race kit will need more .

I don’t have Jongbloed wheels to test with, and curious if Jongbloed 15x8 or 15x9 specifically have more clearance ?

Thanks
                          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I would also be very interested to know that. I'd be interested in either the 500 series or Aero PTS.

Comment

Thanks for the details. Is your master 25mm front and rear?

Burkey, that setup looks nice, does it fit under any 15" wheels? Do the Stoptech calipers have anti-knockback springs? What are the condition of your wheel bearings?
                              25mm front and rear. It’s the standard E32 master upgrade.

Comment

Here is a pic of what needs to be shaved for the Kosei K1. Same shaving on the bottom side of the caliper.

Comment

Working...
                                X