This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
    Actually, yeah I am chicken to take the M3 out on the big track. If someone takes me out, I'm F-ed. Its my daily driver. Its also not healthy. Its ok for driving around, but beating on it is going to result in a very expensive rebuild rather than one that just hurts. At least if someone takes out the Datsun, it goes into the barn and sits till I have the $ to fix it. If the M3 gets taken out, I'm out a daily driver, and forced to drive the Datsun that likes 100 octane at $10 per gallon, and only has race tires.

Besides, I don't want to be on the track with only stock seatbelts in the car. Hell, I don't like driving on the street without 5 pt harnesses, but those are kinda hard to install in a car with no roll bar/cage. I bought the M3 to be the street car that it is. I had no intentions of ever taking it out on a road course. I have another car for real track use. Have I used the M3 as a backup autoX car? Yep. Have I won with it? Yep. Would I rather track/autoX the Datsun? Absolutely, every time.

I'm running the autoX. I dont' have to sign up for it. It might be a two day event, we haven't decided. If I bring the M3 out, I might do one or two runs, thats it. I don't to push the engine to failure, its not worth the risk.

Will
    I'd tear apart the engine now and get down to it if you only trust it for 1 or 2 autox run; why even drive something in that condition?
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

For those of you with poly rear shock mounts, like the (GC, Rogue Engineering, Ireland, etc..) how is the NVH? I'm deciding between the Turner Lifetime RSMs or some poly ones, and the only thing stopping me from getting and poly ones is possible squeakiness.

Comment

NOR-CAL General Chat.

Delete

Comment

Just get the Myle HD's and you're good to go. Same rubber as stock, but with a better design so the strut tops can't pop through. It's the closest to OEM+ as you can get.
          Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
          A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
            I'd tear apart the engine now and get down to it if you only trust it for 1 or 2 autox run; why even drive something in that condition?
            Its not that bad, no metal in the oil, but it does create a cloud of blue smoke above 4k rpm under load. The compression is ok, but it feels like my Datsun engine when it had 4 cracked pistons. When it gets heatsoaked, it starts running poorly. Over christmas it did something really odd. It was parked in a friends garage in SF for 4 days while we went skiing. We got back, it started right up, loaded everything while it warmed up. I headed home, got about 3 blocks and it started running on 3 cylinders. No reason, couldn't find anything wrong with it. Somewhere around the Palace of Fine Arts, it started running fine again. It ran fine the whole way home. Since then however its been just a little off. I've checked everything, and everything is still in spec (valve clearances) Replaced the plugs #2 was fouled (as it always is) the rest looked good. It just feels tired. If there is an issue with the #2 piston, I'd rather not flog it and cause something to fail that would have just been tired otherwise. I watch it like a hawk. I know there is an issue with #2 cylinder, but the leak down is higher than I'd like on all cylinders.

Oddly enough it passed smog with flying colors across the board back in the beginning of December. I want to go through it sooner than later so a pricey refresh doesn't become a nightmare. I'd do it now but I don't have another car I can drive. The Datsun needs wheels and tires so it can be driven. Once I've got those sorted out, I'll ride my bike and pay for race fuel every half tank while I take the M3 apart. Hopefully I won't find anything scary, and the block will be fine. (Rod bearings got replaced last year, the old ones that came out looked used but not through the outer layer. If the rod bearings are ok, the mains should be as well. I replaced the oil pump while I was in there. I couldn't see any odd wear in the lower parts of the cylinders so I don't know what I'll find when I open it up. ) I'm really hoping that it will be just new rings and a hone along with new bearings, chains, ect. If its worn, it will be replaced.

Will
            '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
            '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
            '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
            '88 BMW M3

Comment

Sounds like you should just bite the bullet and handle it before it scares you again with 3 banger action! !
              OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

There is a 2002 my parents in NorCal so I asked my mom to go check it out for me.

Here is what she gathered: 1972 bmw 2002tii, dark blue, 321 seats, 321 wheels (has access to nicer wheels but im not sure what), has spare front fender which needs to be replaced, paint is faded and roof is rusted (not sure how bad). Said it was running, but not sure if it now. No pictures today, but I will get some tomorrow. Owner is asking $3,000.

I know this is worthless without pictures, but does that sound reasonable? I searched all over and can't find any for sale in similar condition (from what I've gathered).

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
                  There is a 2002 my parents in NorCal so I asked my mom to go check it out for me.

Here is what she gathered: 1972 bmw 2002tii, dark blue, 321 seats, 321 wheels (has access to nicer wheels but im not sure what), has spare front fender which needs to be replaced, paint is faded and roof is rusted (not sure how bad). Said it was running, but not sure if it now. No pictures today, but I will get some tomorrow. Owner is asking $3,000.

I know this is worthless without pictures, but does that sound reasonable? I searched all over and can't find any for sale in similar condition (from what I've gathered).
                  Quoted for all the grammar problems...u drinkin?
                  IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Wow, I did not realize how bad it was. I was typing from tapatalk on my phone. There is no auto correct on it, and I rarely ever take the time to reread what I write when I am on my cell.

My madre is now saying she remembers seeing no "tii" on the rear of the car. Probably going to scrap this idea.
                    Last edited by mbonanni; 04-14-2015, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Just tell her to look for the tarbo

Comment

Spence, how did your job interview today go?

Comment

Wow, I did not realize how bad it was. I was typing from tapatalk on my phone. There is no auto correct on it, and I rarely ever take the time to reread what I write when I am on my cell.

My madre is now saying she remembers seeing no "tii" on the rear of the car. Probably going to scrap this idea.

This is my biggest issue *insert iphone crying/ laughing emoji"

I'm basically only on r3v using my phone, and that certainly isn't making me look any better. Lol

Check out my Alpine's DEAD build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348571

E36 M3 Build thread http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=597637

Comment

Send me deets on this car.

I'm in borderline crazy hoarding mode. I buy cars like this all the time and I won't even look at them for 6 months. Sometimes I even forget about them for a while.

I have a problem.
                            world renown Harry Potter expert
                            sigpic

Comment

Spence, how did your job interview today go?
                              dicks were sucked, and money was paid. the issue is pants didnt get the money....
                              Last edited by Cabriolet; 04-15-2015, 10:11 AM.
                              Much wow
                              I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                                Send me deets on this car.

I'm in borderline crazy hoarding mode. I buy cars like this all the time and I won't even look at them for 6 months. Sometimes I even forget about them for a while.

I have a problem.
                                Will do, once I get pics/info I'll post it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X