This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
    Sorry to hear after all the new parts that you're having problems...I know the feeling.

Perhaps your tires need replacing? Some tires are just plain noisy. I had a set of BFG Sport Comp 2 tires on my e36, and after 5000 miles they sounded like I had a bad wheel bearing (stock alignment, nothing fancy).

The tierods may be worth replacing at this point, as any slop they had is potentially amplified from the rest of the suspension components being new & tight.
    thanks yeah its really bumming me out.

this is what i was thinking about the tie rods and i have a 6 month alignment so i can go back for another for free.

i did just make a 2000 mile trip from nor cal to austin right after all the work so maybe tires. but they sounded great before and I've had noisy tires before they made noise at all speeds above 30 this is only from 45-60 with the helicopter noise. i guess I'm gonna try a balance and go from there about tires.

i was also thinking maybe bent wheel i hit some holes on the drive but nothing to major. gonna have them look when i do balance.

any thought about the strut mount thing anyone ? and another member in technical said the pop on reverse is ABS? can anyone elaborate?
    i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

just read about steering rack bolts. the ones to the frame right ? ill check that out
      i love bmws

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Stock or aftermarket wheels? Wheel spacers? A friend had a similar issue and the problem was his aftermarket wheels weren't hubcentric. Another guess is the rack bolts as you just mentioned or even the steering link/giubo.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jayuuey View Post
          Stock or aftermarket wheels? Wheel spacers? A friend had a similar issue and the problem was his aftermarket wheels weren't hubcentric. Another guess is the rack bolts as you just mentioned or even the steering link/giubo.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Had the same problem with my e30. But naw my 46 is on stock style 135s
          i love bmws

Comment

I'm selling something...

Bid for the chance to own a 1971 BMW 2002 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #3,924.
            1971 2002 -- 1975 525 -- 1987 535is -- 2002 M5 -- 2006 x3 msport 6mt

Comment

Originally posted by toddness View Post
              GL with the sale. That is a really pretty car.
              Much wow
              I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by toddness View Post
                I love it! Down the OG Peter Pan plate frame. What makes you want to sell it?

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Thanks to you both.

Honestly, 20 years is long enough. I'll miss it, and so will my family and friends, but somebody else should get to enjoy it. Also, really I've got this E12 bug now that I just can't seem to shake. Moving on.
                  1971 2002 -- 1975 525 -- 1987 535is -- 2002 M5 -- 2006 x3 msport 6mt

Comment

Update on annoying suspension/vibration issues. got the two front tires balanced today and it already feels a lot better, while i was there we took a look at the rear tires and found a good bit of uneven wear in the middle of tire and feathering. gonna be replacing the tires next week hopefully that cures the road noise thats killing me and any vibrations.Any recommendations of a tire thats not horribly expensive and has low road noise and is very smooth ? 255 35 18?
                    i love bmws

Comment

For tires, Bridgestone Potenzas can be had for reasonable money and seem to be well rounded from my experience on different vehicles. There are several variants depending how sticky you want them.

Another option to check out is the Continental Extreme Contact. They're smooth/quiet tires and comfortable for daily driving at the expense of having a little softer sidewall.

Comment

I got the V8 started up! It sounds so mean coming straight out of the exhaust manifolds.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                        Transaction feedback
                        - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                          I got the V8 started up! It sounds so mean coming straight out of the exhaust manifolds.

https://youtu.be/CKHUqwQZz18

Good stuff! Stoked to see it up and running!

Check out my Alpine's DEAD build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348571

E36 M3 Build thread http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=597637

Comment

Thanks Andrei! BTW, I saw your ad- what direction are you going now?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                            Transaction feedback
                            - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                              Thanks Andrei! BTW, I saw your ad- what direction are you going now?

Been all over the place. Bought all the components for the 5 lug only to come to my senses that I wouldn't be able to fit anything but 17's and changed my mind. I'll be sticking with my stock rear/wilwood front setup as I have no complaints with it. Works gooood.
                              Lost money in having to return the parts but I guess you live and you learn right?
                              I generally make rational decisions but sort of jumped on it with a time crunch thinking I could finish it over spring break.
                              Also thought I could finish the interior over spring break, but work took over...
                              I am finished with the driver seat, rear lower bench, door panels, and have the bolsters done for the passenger seat. Just need a few more components (if anyone has a spare leg rest extension bracket with intact slider tabs please PM me). So all I have left is the upper rear bench and front passenger center/headrest. Also ordered yellow seatbelt webbing to match the stitching.

I was hoping to wrap this up along with some pretty wheels, throw in a 2.93 diff and cruise down to so-cal for a one week vacation and catch Bimmer fest right after finals week; but the chances are slim. These custom one off projects take up too much time!

I'm super excited for your swap. Think it'll be on the street within 9 months? I can't wait to see it at a local meetup!

Check out my Alpine's DEAD build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348571

E36 M3 Build thread http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=597637

Comment

Originally posted by Toodaloo View Post
                                Been all over the place. Bought all the components for the 5 lug only to come to my senses that I wouldn't be able to fit anything but 17's and changed my mind. I'll be sticking with my stock rear/wilwood front setup as I have no complaints with it. Works gooood.
                                Lost money in having to return the parts but I guess you live and you learn right?
                                I generally make rational decisions but sort of jumped on it with a time crunch thinking I could finish it over spring break.
                                Also thought I could finish the interior over spring break, but work took over...
                                I am finished with the driver seat, rear lower bench, door panels, and have the bolsters done for the passenger seat. Just need a few more components (if anyone has a spare leg rest extension bracket with intact slider tabs please PM me). So all I have left is the upper rear bench and front passenger center/headrest. Also ordered yellow seatbelt webbing to match the stitching.

I was hoping to wrap this up along with some pretty wheels, throw in a 2.93 diff and cruise down to so-cal for a one week vacation and catch Bimmer fest right after finals week; but the chances are slim. These custom one off projects take up too much time!

I'm super excited for your swap. Think it'll be on the street within 9 months? I can't wait to see it at a local meetup!
                                Your interior is going to look amazing once it has all come together, totally worth your time and effort! I see what you mean, would be hard to lock the car in to 17s.

It's all about money availability for me right now lol, hopefully I can get it on the road before the kid comes but I can't promise myself anything

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                                Transaction feedback
                                - jpod999

Comment

Working...
                                X