Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to the DMV last night and got some new info on how to get the car titled, I have to send two certified letters. The first contains a bill of sale form and is sent to the registered owner at the registered owner's address. The second is a release of lien form sent to the bank. Both letters will bounce back to me with nothing having changed. I take the certified letter receipts and the unopened letters I receive in the mail to the DMV. This shows I tried to get things filled out correctly. Then the DMV lets me get a bonded title and the car is legally mine. The bond stays on for 8 years, in which time someone can claim the car. After the 8 years, to the title is fully clean and the car is owned completely by whoever has it.
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

What a clusterfuck

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
      Transaction feedback
      - jpod999

Comment

Register in Vermont, IMO.
        1986 325e Maaco Black M62 Project [SOLD]
        2008 135i Alpinweiss III Cabriolet 6MT [SOLD]
        2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
        2011 BMW X5M [Daily]
        1991 318is Slicktop Diamantschwarz Metallic [Thread]
        1973 BMW R75/5 Toaster Tank [Summer Daily]

Comment

Jerry, have you thought about selling the car back to your family in VA? Could that be a shortcut to a freed-up clean title?

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by chriso View Post
            Register in Vermont, IMO.
            Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
            Jerry, have you thought about selling the car back to your family in VA? Could that be a shortcut to a freed-up clean title?
            Yeah, I thought about selling out of state, but I'm worried that the Lien would follow it.

I sent the certified letters last night, so I should have them back in a week or two. Then I can get a bonded title.

I'm also trying to tack down the registered owner to just get him to sign some shit.
            sigpic
            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

I had to do something like this with a 1980 Jetta Coupe. Just go through the steps and do it properly
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                I had to do something like this with a 1980 Jetta Coupe. Just go through the steps and do it properly
                we all know the DMV sucks; none of us love standing in line for hours just to get a number and take a seat and continue waiting.

the best tactic i've found is to be polite and friendly in spite of the irritation. when you're that one person in the DMV employee's day who's not a ranty ass-hat, your shit gets handled.

most recent example: when i was registering the Baur, i got a waiver on smog (the seller's test was a few weeks over the 90-day limit) by cracking jokes and getting a laugh out of the employee. i walked away with fresh tags and she greeted the next person with a smile.
                past:
                1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                1985 323i baur
                current:
                1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

^ I never understood why people get so mad about being at the DMV. Yes it takes forever and its confusing but you knew that walking in the front door. A DMV employee has to deal with that every day. Just be nice and it always works out so much better than if you had been a little whiny shit. I've never had a bad experience at the DMV, just long ones.
                  1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by decay View Post
                    we all know the DMV sucks; none of us love standing in line for hours just to get a number and take a seat and continue waiting.

the best tactic i've found is to be polite and friendly in spite of the irritation. when you're that one person in the DMV employee's day who's not a ranty ass-hat, your shit gets handled.
                    Originally posted by wworm View Post
                    ^ I never understood why people get so mad about being at the DMV. Yes it takes forever and its confusing but you knew that walking in the front door. A DMV employee has to deal with that every day. Just be nice and it always works out so much better than if you had been a little whiny shit. I've never had a bad experience at the DMV, just long ones.
                    Yeah, I haven't really had a bad experience either. All of the paperwork/rules sucks, but I understand that just doing it makes things easier. I also come prepared. For example, the lady said I would have to request a vehicle report in writing from Sacramento to get any info. I asked if she could confirm that my info is correct. She was super surprised that I already knew everything, all my options, and asked intelligent questions. I think that's why she got her supervisor to agree to a bonded title when there is an active lien.
                    sigpic

Comment

I've also had positive experiences through being calm and informed.

I came into the DMV with a stripped shell on a trailer, an italian title, and no US paperwork at all. I walked out an hour and a half later with a statement of facts and a junk slip.
                      cars beep boop

Comment

I also have never had anything but great experiences at the DMV here.

I registered my 135i at the DMV, and I had it here for almost a year without registering it. When she asked me when I moved her, I told her the truth. And she said "Are you sure that's when you moved here, because if you didn't just move here today, I have to charge you back registration."

I ultimately said I'd rather just pay the fees. Mainly because I never had any tickets for not being registered, just felt like the right thing to do.

But, for the 318is, it was a whole different story. I somehow lost my smog certificate in under 24 hours of purchasing the car, and she couldn't find it in the system, but I was her last customer before he break when she could go smoke a cigarette, so she just took everything I said, asked me no questions, said "Your car was smogged within 90 days and it passed." Filled out any paperwork I was missing for me, herself. From the time I sat down at her desk, I was out in 10 minutes with a registered 318is without being a California resident.

Only thing that sucks is scheduling an appointment requires 2 months of waiting, and walking is requires you to dedicate 3 hours before getting to a desk.

So, being prepared is a must, but as long as you're nice and clearly spoken to the person on the other side of the desk, you're going to help you out. They're used to being treated horribly. Just show them respect, and you'll make their day. It's sad, but true.
                        1986 325e Maaco Black M62 Project [SOLD]
                        2008 135i Alpinweiss III Cabriolet 6MT [SOLD]
                        2013 Subaru WRX [SOLD]
                        2011 BMW X5M [Daily]
                        1991 318is Slicktop Diamantschwarz Metallic [Thread]
                        1973 BMW R75/5 Toaster Tank [Summer Daily]

Comment

I haven't had any issue with local DMV offices, but at the state level, they are idiots. When I bought the M3 and brought it back from Canada, I had all the required paperwork. Took it to the local DMV. They gave it the once over and said I'd have plates in a few weeks. They issued me a temporary license, and sent me on my way. 5 months later, still no plates. Made a call to Sacramento, they were insisting that it was a Canadian car and said I needed to get something from BMW Canada stating that it met US and California emissions. I told them that it was first sold down in Lomita Ca. They confirmed this, and yet continued to argue with me that it was a Canadian car. I pointed out that there is no Lomita California in Canada, yet still stated it was a Canadian car. I sent them pics of the VIN, the emissions sticker under the hood and everything else they asked for. Even though the sticker under the hood states "This vehicle conforms to US EPA and California ARB regulations applicable to 1988 model year new motor vehicles" They STILL insisted it was a Canadian car. I had to get stopped for no plates by the local CHP before any plates arrived. I had to again call Sacramento following being pulled over and I laid into the person I had been going back and forth with stating that I had been pulled over because of their lack of issuing the licence plates. Evidently this got me somewhere because the plates showed up at the end of the week.

Will
                          '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                          '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                          '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                          '88 BMW M3

Comment

I've always tried my best to nice/polite, but it seems like that isn't always enough. Have had great interactions with the folks at the Oakland Claremont / Rockridge office, San Diego Claremont Mesa office. But have had TERRIBLE experiences at the Oakland Colosseum / East Oakland office. I also have a AAA Premier membership so hoping to give my local AAA office a shot next time.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                            1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                            2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Let me know if anyone has a pair of basket weaves for sale.

Comment

I'm looking for a 3.91 188 LSD, or gearset if someone has one.

would trade a S4.10 for a complete one.
                                cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                                X