• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMGSI E_TREINTA View Post

Got my tags today before the new law oct 1st

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    LOL

No grandfathering of this law... so you sneaking in before 1 OCT changes zero.
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
      Many states are doing this, basically boils down to they need $
      Mostly I've heard that it's because people are fraudulently registering daily drivers or even work vehicles as historic to get around inspection/emissions requirements/costs. This discussion has taken place several times in Virginia (where it's already 25 years for Antique tags, btw).

Also because certain "enthusiasts" use the law to get around common-sense safety requirements on their cars (like legal headlights). While I don't think antique/historic tags should deny "occasional pleasure driving", I also don't think they should be a carte-blanche for anyone to drive an unsafe POS on public roads, as it is sometimes used for (I see them all the time in beautiful Suitland where I work...some clapped-out 80s POS with a wobbly wheel and non-functioning tail lights with historic tags).
      Last edited by irish44j; 10-23-2016, 03:44 PM.
      Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
      Track/street e21 build
      visit Condor Speed Shop
      visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

This is what MD has exlerienced at an increasing rate from my observations based on a plethora of time on the roadways.

Even commercial vehicles using Z tags!!!! Just overboard. And the minority will ruin it for the majority.

Money never hurts, too. The state always will take more.

The law is still toothless. Like said before, state needs to make its case.... and that requires you to have diarrhea of the mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
          Enjoy your VA Troopers enforcing your special plate laws. We will do our thing here in MD.

The law is still toothless. Like said before, state needs to make its case.... and that requires you to have diarrhea of the mouth.
          I drive on regular tags. Since it is my daily driver I have registered it as such. I have to pass safety inspection every year, but here in VA they don't do emissions test if the car is over 20 years old. There is no real reason for me to get historic tags. If the car can't pass safety inspection it obviously should not be on the road anyway.

The only thing that has changed with the law seems to be a safety inspection.
          These guys talk about the historic policy back in 2012. Back then it even said occasional use only. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t....568600/page-2

At the end of the day, I don't really see the changes to the law affecting anybody. You'll just have to get your ball joints checked out every year.

Comment

You drive on regular tags b/c you understand the risk vs reward. VA Troopers are very picky with their traffic enforcement.

If LEO could actually be given something to enforce here, I don't see any reason why many LEO would begin to crack down on the violations; some of these violations are just in-your-face silly begging a stiff penalty.

Then again, the law has this gray area and folks use it.

Comment

Working...
            X