This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by clarkkey594 View Post
    I never said that it was bad at all and I thought last year was fine. I dd'd my M3 on all seasons and got around fine except for one night the entire winter.
    Then what'd you mean by "what about the two winters before that?" ?

Again, you can totally get around with all seasons. Hell, I drove the E30 in snow on Falken Azenis, albeit mostly with the loud pedal. They're not the best tire, but if you have em/don't have money for a proper set of tires, you might as well.

You never took the M3 up into the mountains for skiing or hiking or such during the winter when it snowed though, did you?
    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
      Opps, must have been thinking about somewhere else then. No wonder our roads suck.
      Meh, 90% of people don't buy studded tires because they're loud. Our roads suck because a) heavy vehicles damage shitty pavement, and b) we don't pay enough road tax/what we do pay is misappropriated.

Not in wyoming :facepalm:
      Single data point, son.

Snow tires are great, but unless you're a total novice, you can get around on all seasons. I took my 240 over Cameron Pass on hwy 14 last year through 6 inches of snow uphill and down with all seasons, one of the most fun drives of my life... Had a few close calls, but that's because I was driving like a (moron) bat out of hell.
      This is true, but imagine the hoonage you can do WITH snow tires!
      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
        This.

I drove my scoob for the first couple storms on my all seasons when they DID have tread. I switched to the studded snows quickly after that, and my car was faster accelerating, faster decelerating, had far more grip, was far more controllable when hooning, was far more controllable when not hooning, and had no problems with ice and snow. Same story with the Suburban, E28, Outback, and my brother's E46 325iT. Snow tires make the car WAY better in winter weather.

The biggest issue with all seasons in snow, even with awd/4wd, is braking. All seasons + awd + snow + abs doesn't hold a candle to snows + all that stuff. It's a HUGE difference, and well worth the cost. Can you get by on all seasons? Yes, absolutely.

You all buy sticky street/race rubber to go fast in parking lots and on racetracks because you have an increase in grip, acceleration, deceleration, and tire life at elevated temperatures. Why the hell wouldn't you buy the winter analog?
        You bought a track car that hasn't seen the track, and studded snows for when everyone makes it work on all seasons. Namsayin

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
        Originally posted by DTM190
        "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

You never took the M3 up into the mountains for skiing or hiking or such during the winter when it snowed though, did you?
          I did actually.
          89 325i (Sold)
          95 M3 (Track Car in Progress)
          2001 4runner (DD)

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop View Post
            You bought a track car that hasn't seen the track, and studded snows for when everyone makes it work on all seasons. Namsayin
            Kinda hard for it to see track when it's an E36 and keeps breaking every goddamn month. Fuckin temperamental feisty redheads.

I'm an advocate for snow tires because they've saved my ass too many times to count, and I've noticed huge benefits going from all seasons to snow tires. I'm....sorry I like being able to go where I want when I want in whatever weather without worrying? Alliteration, bitches.
            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Wolf Creek is down there too.
              Yep. They get lot of snow, but not the most fun place.

Let's see......I've experienced 17 winters here in Colorado. You've experienced....four?
              uh ohz

Our roads suck because a) heavy vehicles damage shitty pavement, and b) we don't pay enough road tax/what we do pay is misappropriated.
              Bolded for correctness. We pay wayyyy too much road tax.

I did actually.
              :popcorn:

Comment

It's not really the car's fault... Every time you come to your senses and think to sell the bastard, you drive it and get a hard on for how "fast" it is.... I'd rather have an STi, yeah, but I've told you, and I've told other people, my e30 (which is incredibly down on power and other things compared to my old STi) is equally if not more fun to drive, especially on track. Sell the stupid red head (though I've been telling you this for months) and buy something you know will be solid.

As for weather... I do the same, I just plan ahead and think about my driving a little more.

"fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Bolded for correctness. We pay wayyyy too much road tax.
                  Well, if the government would use road tax to fix the damn roads, I wouldn't be so annoyed/cynical. But since they do stupid shit like buy open space around Boulder and then tell the citizens of Boulder County to GFYS and fix your own damn roads, which are county property.....ya, I'm a bit pissed.
                  2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                  98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Let's take a vote as to who voted this current gov't into power, shall we?

Comment

Allright, ladies.

Snow tires are awesome in the snow compared to all-seasons.

Track tires are awesome on dry hot pavement compared to all-seasons.

However, it is theoretically and experimentally possible to drive on the track and in the snow with all-seasons.

In conclusion,

I have studded snow tires on B-caps because I got them for free.

I have all-seasons because I got them for half price.

I do not have track tires because they are expensive.

Comment

Sam we've moved on to politics, how long have you been a member in the Mountain section?

Comment

Sam, didn't you track your all seasons? lol
                          89 325i (Sold)
                          95 M3 (Track Car in Progress)
                          2001 4runner (DD)

Comment

It's not really the car's fault...
                            Please, enlighten me how it would pass tech/divebomb corners when:

-shock fell out of shock mount
                            -door won't open in case of emergency from outside
                            -seat is broken
                            -exhaust and oil leak blow carbon monoxide into the cabin
                            -brake fluid is old
                            -transmission was dead
                            -I killed clutch slave #1
                            -clutch slave #2 shat itself
                            -clutch slave #3 shat itself
                            -corded tires
                            -horrid alignment
                            -needed oil badly
                            -brakes have not enough life left
                            -air filter is about to fall apart
                            -radiator support is missing screws to hold the front of the car together
                            -shifter was hitting the driveshaft
                            -aaaaaaaaand more.

It's definitely the car's fault it hasn't gotten on track. Need I continue? For the record, the above have been fixed, but that's the list of things that prevented the car from going on track this year. It's not a list of all that I've done to fix it.

Every time you come to your senses and think to sell the bastard, you drive it and get a hard on for how "fast" it is.... I'd rather have an STi, yeah, but I've told you, and I've told other people, my e30 (which is incredibly down on power and other things compared to my old STi) is equally if not more fun to drive, especially on track. Sell the stupid red head (though I've been telling you this for months) and buy something you know will be solid.
                            If I get this fellowship, then yes, I plan to.

Remember dude, I've driven an E30 on track. I've driven my Scoob on track. Both are absurd fun, the 67awhp scoob probably being more fun.

Oh- as for who voted gov't into power, state/local government does road taxes for all but interstates. I voted the least shitty candidates into office, but I'm absolutely certain I'd be displeased no matter who I voted for.
                            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Sam we've moved on to politics, how long have you been a member in the Mountain section?
                              I don't know enough about politics to argue intelligently.

Sam, didn't you track your all seasons? lol
                              heck yes!! hence it is experimentally possible to track all-seasons! and I also drove through a blizzard with them. While possible, that comes highly un-recommended. My studded snow tires vastly transforms my car.

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                                heck yes!! hence it is experimentally possible to track all-seasons! and I also drove through a blizzard with them. While possible, that comes highly un-recommended. My studded snow tires vastly transforms my car.
                                I tracked the scoob on 700tw all seasons, and killed my brakes, then drove home. It's doable but certainly isn't something I want to ever do again.
                                2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                                98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Working...
                                X