This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
    why did the E30 tech help thread get closed?
    Because E30tech?

I dunno about you guys but I got registered pretty quickly (meaning a few months compared to a year). I just sent an email to the head honcho over there and he approved me.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
      Because E30tech?

I dunno about you guys but I got registered pretty quickly (meaning a few months compared to a year). I just sent an email to the head honcho over there and he approved me.
      Took me as long as it did to join r3v, I think things have changed since 07 on emotech.
      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
        why did the E30 tech help thread get closed?
        forum politics, r3v vs e3t threads pop up so often and are so played out that the mods just close them once they get noticed.
        2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
        98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
          Took me as long as it did to join r3v, I think things have changed since 07 on emotech.
          Same, I joined in 09.

Comment

forum politics, r3v vs e3t threads pop up so often and are so played out that the mods just close them once they get noticed.

i see. well, let's not get this thread closed I guess!

(please don't close this thread?)

To change the subject, it was not the best of ideas to take 5 heavy mech E classes all at once.

Comment

I'll help change the subject. I'm looking at Apex arc-8 wheels for the M Coupe with something more track dedicated than Dunlop Star Specs. Any R Comp suggestions? They will probably be 18 x 8.5" in the front and 10" in the rear. Maybe 9.5" and 10.5".
              JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

18" R-Comps
                Are you looking for a good lapping day tire or are you looking to set fast lap times?

Nitto NT01's are great lapping tires. Faster than street tires, better at high temps.

Hoosier R6's are the fastest thing out there, but they heat cycle and tread out faster.

BFG R1's can be fast, kinda numb, heat cycle out quickly.

Hankooks wear out quickly, from what I've heard (never run them personally.)

Any reason to continue running staggered? You can get a lot more tire life by rotating them.
                Chris
                97 M3
                01 325
                Weston Auto Gallery

Comment

I'm planning on running these conti take offs next year. Can't beat $400 shipped for most sets!

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

+1 on the NT01's those are also awesome!
                  My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Cloudbase View Post
                    I'll help change the subject. I'm looking at Apex arc-8 wheels for the M Coupe with something more track dedicated than Dunlop Star Specs. Any R Comp suggestions? They will probably be 18 x 8.5" in the front and 10" in the rear. Maybe 9.5" and 10.5".
                    Can't Moupes fit 10s in the front with proper fitment tires? I know the rear has ample room, but I don't remember for the fronts.

The Apex 18x9.5 with a 255/35/18 rcomp is a potent combo, but remember that as you increase wheel width that sufficient tire rapidly jumps in price.

Why 18s specifically? The ARCs definitely look awesome in the concave fitment, but tires are quite pricey at that point.
                    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Can't Moupes fit 10s in the front with proper fitment tires? I know the rear has ample room, but I don't remember for the fronts.

The Apex 18x9.5 with a 255/35/18 rcomp is a potent combo, but remember that as you increase wheel width that sufficient tire rapidly jumps in price.

Why 18s specifically? The ARCs definitely look awesome in the concave fitment, but tires are quite pricey at that point.
                      17s don't really have as many good tire options beyond a 255.

For the rear of the coupe, I'd run a 285 and then fit the largest front tire possible without rubbing. You have to remember, the S54 Z3 needs all the rear grip it can get.

Comment

Not even close. 255's with a lot of camber is still a snug fit. Gotta trim the clamshell to go big.
                        Chris
                        97 M3
                        01 325
                        Weston Auto Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by fsmtnbiker View Post
                          Not even close. 255's with a lot of camber is still a snug fit. Gotta trim the clamshell to go big.
                          This I did not know.
                          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post

For the rear of the coupe, I'd run a 285 and then fit the largest front tire possible without rubbing. You have to remember, the S54 Z3 needs all the rear grip it can get.
                            Truf.
                            2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                            98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

18" R-Comps
                              Are you looking for a good lapping day tire or are you looking to set fast lap times?

Nitto NT01's are great lapping tires. Faster than street tires, better at high temps.

Hoosier R6's are the fastest thing out there, but they heat cycle and tread out faster.

BFG R1's can be fast, kinda numb, heat cycle out quickly.

Hankooks wear out quickly, from what I've heard (never run them personally.)

Any reason to continue running staggered? You can get a lot more tire life by rotating them.
                              Good lapping day tire that will get me descent tread life. I don't know what to expect from a full season. I plan on doing as many NASA PDX's as I need to time trial. Hopefully just one weekend. Then the TT's at HPR and PMI, maybe something like Hastings. Plus a CCA school. That would probably be 6-8 weekends throughout the season. Fast lap times would be great, but if I'm going to track that much longevity will need to be considered. From what you've said Nitto's might be the answer.

I've considered a symmetrical set up before, but w/ the M Coupe's funky rear offset it would require a massive spacer. I want a more neutral setup, but retaining some of the built in balance would be responsible at this point.

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                              I'm planning on running these conti take offs next year. Can't beat $400 shipped for most sets!

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

+1 on the NT01's those are also awesome!
                              Thread Bookmarked

Was going w/ 18's due to sizing. 9.5 in the front is the most without massive modification if I remember my research correctly.

Originally posted by Roland H View Post

+1 The more grip the better. Next year I will have a 3:46 in place of my 3:15LSD which will only require more delicate throttle application. The scariest times I've had in the M Coupe have been stabbing the throttle on tight turn exits.

Have you seen this on Z3's before. I was going to go with Vorshlag camber plates on my stock suspension (because they will work with coil-overs later). I have a resource in the M Coupe world running that set up, so I can pull on his experience.
                              JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

I had them on Mark's Z3 M-Coupe. Had 235s on 17x8.5s with 2-degrees of camber and it was snug. New owner has 245 Hankook RS3's which hardly fit with 2.5 degrees. If you're running 3-3.5 degrees I think you could probably fit 255's or maybe 265's. This was on Z3 M-Coupe with KW V3's.

In the rear I don't think it would be tight until you were running 305's.
                                Chris
                                97 M3
                                01 325
                                Weston Auto Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X