Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh- and that last turn at pueblo is notorious for launching people into the concrete wall. The front straight is a drag strip, and pretty damn slick right at the apex of 10.
    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

You don't need studs, the Jeep'll do fine with some something like the BFG A/T. 2008-11 STi can come in a hatch w/ just a little fin on it ;) Or you can pick up an STi and swap for a trunk lid without the wing. Seriously though, the Jeep will be fine

PM me for detailing services in the Longmont / Boulder Area in Colorado!
      Originally posted by DTM190
      "fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
        Since you have a nice jeep, I don't know if you'd prefer a scoob or not. The low range on the jeep, if it has one, would definitely be more useful, and it can tow things too (i think). All seasons are crap in winter, tire rack has a great video as to why: http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index...=23&tab=winter
        You don't drive in the snow in low-range, and you don't need winter tires. BFG All-Terrains are more than capable.
        If it's feasible to ship the Jeep here and federalize/register it, which you'd know better than I would, I'd keep it but put skinny winter tires on it. If you stanced it by lowering it, I'd quickly un-lower it.....you want ground clearance for snowdrifts.
        He didn't lower it, and even if he had, it'd still be fine. My e30 gets around in the snow just fine sitting 3" off the ground... You just have to use your brain when you get behind the wheel... Shocking concept for most.
        Forester XTs are great, my cousins have one. WRXs....you'll never see as many WRXs before in your life until you come here. I have a 95 Legacy Manwagon, which is slow but trusty. Any Scoob will do fine in winter so long as it has awd and abs (manual ones of my car's era have 50/50 f/r power split, autotragic are 70/30). I am partial to wagons and don't really care for GCs if you aren't swapping them, but that's just my preference.

You could also get an 08+ STi hatch, and have a practical batshit insane fast DD/winter car. No wing........

"fuck the kangaroo dude, his toilet water swirls the wrong way anyway, plus i never liked crocodile dundee or Steve Irwin and vegemite tastes like shit"

Comment

Eric, listen to Bishop. He's owned an E30, WRX, STi, and a Jeep.

FWIW, the Suburban we used to own had a massive difference in snow traction between all seasons and studded snows, in 2wd, 4wd, or 4wd Low when needed, which was occasionally.
          2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
          98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

I drove my Wrangler around on the BFG Mud Terrains and never got stuck... Scary? Yes.... All you have to do is not be a total fucking dunce behind the wheel, and you can drive pretty much anything in the snow... Just account for conditions.... That TireRack video was a joke.... Testing acceleration, turning under speed, etc... The only thing of value would be stopping, and even then, it's no problem as long as you just give yourself enough room when you're driving.... Would I like a set of studded, or even snow tires this year? Yea, am I going to pony up for em to replace my all-seasons that are at like full tread depth? No way in hell

Comment

haha, no no, i didn't lower the jeep! That would be retarded! I just stuffed massively tall tires in the wheel wells with lower than stock offset and didn't raise it! The tires are 30.4 inches tall while only 215 wide, compaired to the stock 26 inch tire that are 225 wide.

Tires are Kuhmo Road Venture AT KL78's.

I hate those new subbie wagons, they look like ass, and the new sedan isn't any better. a 2007 in pearl white please.

Sounds like the snow conditions are a bit like Germany actually. Are the roads cleared pretty quickly? We've gotten pretty good snowfall the last few years, and it's absolute havock until the roads are cleared, then all you have to deal with is black ice. 4 wheel drifts while the front diff is engaged is a lot of fun in the jeep with a few inches of packed snow!

If only I could afford it... Sti
              My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

You'll be fine. Big storms and the first couple seem to catch CDOT with their pants down, but like I said before, if you're smart, you'll be fine.... Is it snowing like a mother fucker outside and you have to be somewhere in 30 minutes, and the drive usually takes you 10? Leave in 10 and give yourself some time... When driving, are the roads shitty and people kinda sketch? Move your following distance back like 3 car lengths and flip off any dick head who honks at you for driving safely... Basic things

Comment

btw david, studs aren't legal here...

Comment

sup

Comment

What 4wd do you have in your jeep? Command-trac or selec-trac? I have command-trac on my 2000 Cherokee and I decided to put snow tires on it (non studded). That is just because I usually drive it in 2wd mode except for stop lights and heavy snow. If you have selec-trac you will be fine with all season tires. Two of my friends have selec-trac with all seasons and they never got stuck or anything. Honestly the snow here is super easy. There is very little ice and the roads are cleared very quickly. The only thing that is hard is that the forecast could be sunny all day then turn to 10 inches of snow the next minute. You just need to be prepared.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

cleared quickly? hah! not compared to MD! I am used to a slight flurry and the entire MDOT out in full force, plowing every flake of snow before it even reaches the ground.

However, last winter was unusually harsh.

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                          cleared quickly? hah! not compared to MD! I am used to a slight flurry and the entire MDOT out in full force, plowing every flake of snow before it even reaches the ground.

However, last winter was unusually harsh.
                          +1 I'm a former Marylander as well.
                          89 325i (Sold)
                          95 M3 (Track Car in Progress)
                          2001 4runner (DD)

Comment

Yeah, I am just used to Iowa. The feet of snow would just sit there with a good inch of ice on every road surface. Hence why I think CO winters are great...lol.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                              sup

Comment

Roland, false. Studded tires are legal year-round in Colorado. Chains are not unless there's sufficient snow.

Clicky

Originally posted by Colorado Department of Transportation
                                Studded snow tires are legal in Colorado, but may not be adequate for travel under extreme conditions. Some other states prohibit studded snow tires.

Click
                                And for what it's worth Sam and Clark.....last winter was downright tame.
                                2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                                98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Working...
                                X