Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shit was crazy on the roads today....be safe out there.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by red baron View Post
      shit was crazy on the roads today....be safe out there.
      So many stupid people getting in wrecks for no reason out there. Had to take the back way to the airport and still almost got killed by some idiot in a truck without snow tires.

Comment

I was on 36 on an over pass and this DeltaB in a Ram decides it'd be real cool to get way sideways and then lock the brakes. A few fishtails and a 360 later I creeped past him. People suck at driving
        sigpic

Comment

Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel

Hey,
          So as part of the top end rebuild I did on my car, I threw in a new lightweight aluminum flywheel (and new stock clutch/pressure plate). How much shudder should I expect when bedding in the new components. I can already tell that it is getting better over time as I log more miles, but it just seems like it is more than what I would have expected.

To clarify, when I say shudder, I mean going from a dead stop to 1st, when the clutch is engaging, there is a shudder or 'vibration' from what I ascertain to be the clutch and flywheel going between static and kinetic friction. The more revs I give it, the less noticeable it is. If I were to try to do a clutch only start (no revs), it would be uncomfortable to say the least.

Like I said, it is decreasing over time as the two surfaces become bedded, but I was wondering if anyone has some experience with that and can try to explain how much they had right of that bat? I'm at about 100 miles mostly city.

Thanks

1989 325i Alpine White
          69 STX

Comment

FWIW - I'm running a JBRacing 8lb lightweight Alum flywheel in my 02 - and it never 'shuddered' or acted like you described, even when brand new. I don't have an e30 - but what you're describing sounds more like something up with a T/O bearing or clutch slave cyl, or even pressure plate...

v i s i o n a u t i k s

Comment

I'm running the 8lb JBR flywheel and the FX300 Clutchmasters clutch. I didn't notice anything in the way of "shuddering" from the clutch/transmission. I do have some driveline clunking (probably my driveshaft). That might be worth checking out.
              All I wanted was a tomahawk....

Comment

Ok, guys, thanks a lot, that is really helpful. I also have the JB racing 8lb'er. I'm thinking that it is my pressure plate and that when I torqued it, I had 'phantom torque' where there was enough to make the torque wrench go off, but really I still needed to tighten further until it was all the was bolted on, then torque. That is my best guess as of right now, but I'm sure I will know more after I pop the transmission off the motor.
                Thanks for the replies.

1989 325i Alpine White
                69 STX

Comment

Best of luck. Definitely not a fun job on an e30. :curse:

Comment

Originally posted by RLTW86 View Post
                    Best of luck. Definitely not a fun job on an e30. :curse:
                    It's not too bad. Try doing it on an XC70.

Comment

I think I'll pass. Of course I could just be spoiled by the 240z. I swear that car was made with taking it apart and putting it back together at the front of the engineers' minds.

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
                        It's not too bad. Try doing it on an XC70.
                        oh hell no
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RLTW86 View Post
                          I think I'll pass. Of course I could just be spoiled by the 240z. I swear that car was made with taking it apart and putting it back together at the front of the engineers' minds.
                          that's because it's a more regular occurrence. ;)

Comment

I had a long talk w/ my brother today, gave me all the highlights of his race (LB gran prix) from the weekend. The amount of time it takes him to do stuff just blows my mind.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roland H View Post
                              that's because it's a more regular occurrence. ;)
                              Oh snap! Well not if I have anything to say about it. ;D

Comment

Anybody on here have a silver e30 M3? I saw one on the North side of the Springs yesterday by Powers and Union.

Comment

Working...
                                X