No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My '08 Mercedes has a few recalls (Takata airbags yay!), so I took it to my local dealership that gave me a loaner while they replaced the SRS module. That was all nice, and I figured while I was there to buy some touch up paint. $50 for a 2oz bottle .... I thought, no thanks. While I was perusing the parts dept a different time, I noticed that they were selling bedazzled parts to accessorize the interior.

These "upscale German" brands currently cater to some ridiculous marketing. I had been losing respect for BMW with its 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 series cars but when the first Benz came here with a FWD setup to bring a car to a more entry level consumer, I knew things would never be the same for any of the makers.

Enjoy your E30s, and keep them on the road no matter where you get your parts from. Its a dying breeed
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by DrJosh View Post
      Northwest BMW even has an online parts department that sells parts at near competitive prices compared to other dealers across the country. For example, online they only charge $400 for the M54 valve cover I mentioned earlier. When I called to check if they had one and verify the price, they wanted $550 in-store.
      Loss leader.

The online sales often require nearly zero man-power from the dealerships perspective. It's often drop shipped from the supplier and it doesn't require any on site inventory, or handling of the part. For them, that's mostly free money, vs the manpower and overhead for when you buy something OTC.

Why do they do this? To gain customer loyalty. That's the loss leader part. You get someone used to buying online from the dealership, they are betting on the time you need something now that they DO stock and you'll come in and pay OTC price.

As for the online sales out of state, they make it up in volume. Next time you order something from another dealership online, actually look at where the package is being shipped from. I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts it doesn't originate from the dealerships actual address. Hell, often when I order from some of the parts suppliers in other states, the shipment actually comes from just down the street from me. And often, it's the same wholesale warehouse my buddies uses for his shop...
      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

These "upscale German" brands currently cater to some ridiculous marketing. I had been losing respect for BMW with its 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 series cars but when the first Benz came here with a FWD setup to bring a car to a more entry level consumer, I knew things would never be the same for any of the makers.

Enjoy your E30s, and keep them on the road no matter where you get your parts from. Its a dying breeed
        If there is a market, they will go for it. Look how many "SUVs" are coming out. I've seen Bentley, Maserati, Jaguar, like 7 versions of Mercedes (Still don't know what the hell the GLE63 is) If there is a hole in the market, it will be filled...
        sigpic
        Project: 87' 325iS... 325iS
        88 Alpine 325i
        1/2 88 325iX

Comment

I saw three - THREE! - of those Bentley Bentayga monstrosities in Vancouver BC on a recent trip. Wow. Money can buy you a $70,000 Breitling timepiece for the dash, but it can't buy you good taste. (Eye roll)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dealerships exist for a reason.
            As do the independent shops.
            As do the junkyards!
            Which is where most of my crap comes from.
            Do you think it shows?

And I don't get the need to pay for the roundel-
            $90 for the E46 Behr t-stat mit roundel,
            $45 for the identical Behr t-stat with the roundel milled off

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
              As do the junkyards!
              Which is where most of my crap comes from.
              Do you think it shows?

And I don't get the need to pay for the roundel-
              $90 for the E46 Behr t-stat mit roundel,
              $45 for the identical Behr t-stat with the roundel milled off

t
              There are a lot of parts like that. All Vemo brand sensors are just OE sensors with the OE roundel filed off.
              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                There are a lot of parts like that.
                Happy Birthday sir.

Keep it shiny side up.
                1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                2016 Ford Flex
                2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

happy 18th austism

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Aw, thanks, you guys.
                    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Happy Birthday, Austin. Damn, we're getting old.
                      clutchCTRL!
                      Move with a purpose.
                      - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
                      - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
                      - 2000 323i AT
                      2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Happy Birthday Ginger
                        m106 1990 e30
                        e36 daily
                        e32 cruiser

Comment

Does anyone know of a low cost storage area near Bothell/Woodinville that I can park my truck at? (doesn't need to be covered)
                          I've only been able to find >$90 so far, which is more than I'd like to pay.
                          m106 1990 e30
                          e36 daily
                          e32 cruiser

Comment

i worked in storage, it can vary area to area in the same city, what kind of place it is, a 10x10 can be 65$, and 3 blocks away 110$

also who would be down to do a fishing charter and go fishing for a day?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
                              i worked in storage, it can vary area to area in the same city, what kind of place it is, a 10x10 can be 65$, and 3 blocks away 110$

also who would be down to do a fishing charter and go fishing for a day?

is this a catch and release thing if so gay if not id be down
                              Originally posted by bmwm42
                              PNW vulture pm me for parts
                              Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

you can keep whatever man lol

Comment

Working...
                                X