PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
    so installed the 7lb flywheel on the m42 over the weekend. wow.

amazing mod. car feels better in every single way. Contrary to what all you people predicted.. the driveability didnt change much at all. very easy to drive, clutch grabs great, and the fitment of the flywheel and m20 clutch kit is bang-on. no on/off feeling of the clutch what so ever. my old and tired getrag 240 is making a little more noise now, though. atleast its super clean ;)

as far as power delivery... the car is getting better gas mileage and low-end torque is even better. I was going up a hill at 25mph in second at 1750rpm with 3 people in the car with no trouble - with "just" a m42! awesome mod wish I installed it a long time ago... revs up like a bike now

Nice work, toes. The LTW flywheel definitely makes a huge difference
    -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
    91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
    08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
    04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
    Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
    Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

thanks Brad - great quality piece even if its made in Taiwan. my harbor freight transmission scissor jack is worth its weight in gold for these jobs.

now should I use Redline MTL or Valvoline ATF for flushing the fluid and refilling? leaning towards MTL have used it on my getrag 260s with good results. my trans is fucked up and very loud - always has been. hoping the MTL will quiet it down
      Last edited by 5Toes; 05-08-2017, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
        thanks Brad - great quality piece even if its made in Taiwan. my harbor freight transmission scissor jack is worth its weight in gold for these jobs.

Hmm. Which one do you have? The $99 one? I'm doing the clutch on the e46 m3 and am wondering if I need a transmission jack... Never used one before but I like the idea of the cradle.
        '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Get the transmission jack. I have the harbor freight one. I've done a few transmission jobs without it, and two with it, absolutely worth it's weight. I replaced the clutch in my X5 solo with just the jack, didn't even break a sweat.
          Originally posted by Sonny
          I am a meme for our community.

Comment

just like Josh I have done clutch jobs with and without it. GET IT

without the jack I could not do the job myself, even with the g240 being light(ish). A ZF box would be agonizing... I did the whole thing all alone started at 3pm Saturday and worked until 7:30pm when I got the trans off. Worked another 6 hours Sunday cleaning everything and re-installing.

get the transmission jack!!! only real problem with it is that it makes the bellhousing pretty tall, so unless you have massive jackstands that can really lift the car in the air, then you have to slide the transmission in on the ground and then get it on the jack once it is in the transmission tunnel area. nowhere near as hard as muscling it in there though.
            Last edited by 5Toes; 05-08-2017, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Anyone in the bay area with one I can borrow? Gonna have to do the clutch on my e30 soon.

Will trade jack usage for beers.

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                Anyone in the bay area with one I can borrow? Gonna have to do the clutch on my e30 soon.

Will trade jack usage for beers.
                I think you're a bit far from home in this thread...lol
                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                  I think you're a bit far from home in this thread...lol

Make the trip, Austin! It's not that far. Only a couple hours past Eugene...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

will trade transmission jack for bay area DJ gig

Comment

Originally posted by MortyCrock View Post
                      Make the trip, Austin! It's not that far. Only a couple hours past Eugene...

Yeah, no big deal there. Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                        Yeah, no big deal there. Why not?

That's the spirit! You're such a nice guy...

Comment

bumpage....

Anyone know who this might be? thnx

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                          Do you guys know anything about this guy in Redmond? '86 eta shell part out. I'm interested in the 5 speed and swap parts. I need to figure out how to store them until we can get out there to pick them up.

Thanks -

[ATTACH]114117[/ATTACH]

Comment

Will trade transmission jack usage for freedom bux w/full eye contact.
                            '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                              bumpage....

Anyone know who this might be? thnx
                              He has a thread on here in the PNW section for parting that thing. His bame is Dustin iirc.

Comment

hes a nice guy that coupe in redmond. I got some parts off him back in like January.

Comment

Working...
                                X