No announcement yet.

PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well the early cooling system came factory on m20b25 and m20b23 cars... think youre just doing it wrong..

Comment

PNW Chit Chat thread

You make a good point, I'm not the only one who has done it, the last person to do it is a master tech, granted he's a Toyota tech but the guy knows what he's doing.

Not to mention I've done water pumps before and I beat the hell out of my cars and never had one leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Pdxseth View Post
        Has any one here ran an early style cooling system on an m20b25?

I've resealed my water pump 3 times(Graf metal impeller) one of the biggest reasons I sold the car was because I just couldn't get it to seal. I sold the car to my friend, he resealed the pump and drove it for a year with no issues, I've had it almost 1 month and the water pump is leaking again. I'm thinking maybe the early system can't handle the high rpms? Maybe builds too much pressure? Idk.

At this point I'm wondering if switching to a late system will cure it.

Literally have never had an M20 water pump leak. Follow these directions....

Remove old water pump
        Clean gasket surface thoroughly with some sort of abrasive
        Spray it down with brake clean...LET IT DRY
        Grab new water pump and gasket
        Apply a thin layer of aviation sealer to the water pump side, apply gasket to water pump
        Install water pump on block, torque the M8 bolts to 20ft/lbs

Done dozens of these this way and have had wonderful success. Unless you have a seriously warped block (which I doubt), I don't know what the issue is.
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

That's what I was thinking, something is warped. Check the surfaces for flatness?
          '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
            That's what I was thinking, something is warped.

I feel like it would be pretty hard to warp the block without having other major issues. I bought the water pump from autohausaz.com it was on clearance for like 40$. As far as I know it's the best pump for these cars but maybe it's defective?

This feels like deja vu, I'm sure this has been discussed in this thread.

Comment

Are you using a gasket or a sealant (gasket maker)?

I know I've had issues with using a gasket maker if the surfaces aren't 100% flat, but a paper gasket with sealant on either side can take up for some of that imperfection.

Have you ever overheated? Maybe warped the aluminum water pump housing?

Comment

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
                Are you using a gasket or a sealant (gasket maker)?

I know I've had issues with using a gasket maker if the surfaces aren't 100% flat, but a paper gasket with sealant on either side can take up for some of that imperfection.

Have you ever overheated? Maybe warped the aluminum water pump housing?

I've tried both, it has overheated. The first time it was done on with a stock gasket, it overheated once(gauge was at 3/4) due to the leak.

Comment

Originally posted by Pdxseth View Post
                  Has any one here ran an early style cooling system on an m20b25?

I've resealed my water pump 3 times(Graf metal impeller) one of the biggest reasons I sold the car was because I just couldn't get it to seal. I sold the car to my friend, he resealed the pump and drove it for a year with no issues, I've had it almost 1 month and the water pump is leaking again. I'm thinking maybe the early system can't handle the high rpms? Maybe builds too much pressure? Idk.

At this point I'm wondering if switching to a late system will cure it.

I would switch to the late model setup. M20 guys can correct me if im wrong, but arent the inlets and outlets of the cooling system slightly different on early Vs Late?
                  -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                  91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                  08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                  04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                  Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                  Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Yes, they are the opposite of each other.

I have the Early setup on the race car and the Rat Trap. In fact - all I have ever used is the early style and never had an issue with overheating unless the radiator was clogged with garbage. You probably need to flush your cooling system in the block - probably got a bunch of scale in it, and it's coming loose and clogging the radiator. Even if you have a new radiator - if it gets a bunch rust/scale/sh*t from the block clogging the passageways, you'll be overheating in no time.

Just a thought..
                    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                      Yes, they are the opposite of each other.

I have the Early setup on the race car and the Rat Trap. In fact - all I have ever used is the early style and never had an issue with overheating unless the radiator was clogged with garbage. You probably need to flush your cooling system in the block - probably got a bunch of scale in it, and it's coming loose and clogging the radiator. Even if you have a new radiator - if it gets a bunch rust/scale/sh*t from the block clogging the passageways, you'll be overheating in no time.

Just a thought..
                      well if he's using an early model cooling system on a late model m20, i would imagine the cooling system isnt flowing properly, causing the overheating/sealing issues.
                      -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                      91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                      08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                      04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                      Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                      Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Ugh, draining the block is such a pain. At least it was on the S14. Should have done it in someone else's driveway :p

Comment

The motor is from an '88 325is and the car is an '86 325e. I cannot remember what cooling system he used. I would assume he used everything that came from the donor '88, but this is Seth, so it could be any possible hodge podge setup...

Comment

idk why people always have these odd ball issues...

i didnt know leaky water pumps was a thing if done correctly...?

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

got BBS RK 15s last night - so lightweight. screw them Racing Dynamics 15's I was refinishing lol

Comment

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
                                idk why people always have these odd ball issues...

i didnt know leaky water pumps was a thing if done correctly...?
                                The only times I've ever had a water pump leak was when they were old and the seal or gasket failed.

Comment

Working...
                                X