PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
    I would take cloth over fake leather, so I understand that. But no way over real leather. I bought my first Saab 900 when I was 17, all 900 turbos in the US came with leather standard. Never looked back..

I like the defense of "well it holds you in the seat better in the turns!!"
    Ok Ricky Bobby, I'm sure you really need that extra grip on your drive to Safeway.
    i mean i wouldn't shell out extra money for cloth but when buying my GTI i wasn't willing to buy the higher trim level for leather because it came with a bunch of other shit options.

and it's worth mentioning that not all leather or cloth is created equal, obviously some cloth seats are terrible and cheap leather sucks too.

Comment

Im a cloth guy, Vinyl in e30 gets hot till AC kicks in (which ac doesnt work anymore lul) and in the samurai the like plastic coated fabric seats turn your back and ass into a swimming pool in seconds.
      1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
      willschnitz

Comment

Cloth.

Every leather car I've owned was old and had hot seats in the summer and hard slippery seats in the winter. Then they crack. Then I put nice cloth in.

I rode in a new Range Rover once with really nice leather seats, and a friend has nice perforated leather seats in a new Soobie.

Comment

The seats and vinyl floor in my samurai literally shattered from the cold in wisconsin lol.

I pulled them out and replaced with some nice bedliner.
          1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
          willschnitz

Comment

My old Alfa has original (German?) vinyl seats. Thick, soft, held up all these years. People think it's leather.

Comment

Hey, can you guys give me an opinion of this flywheel surface for our swap project? It's a single-mass eta. Has machining swirl marks, but what about the dark markings?

Click image for larger version

Name:	user64046_pic16894_1499108530.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	7192732

Name:	user64046_pic16895_1499108530.jpg
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	7192733

Name:	user64046_pic16896_1499108530.jpg
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	7192734

Is there a minimum thickness where a flywheel can't be re-surfaced again?

Comment

I have ran worst, no slippin

Resurfacing is cheap though, when I'm being a cheap ass I sand it.
                WTB:m60b40 in PNW
                Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                92 525it 5 speed.
                80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

So the palm sander with 60 grit is good............

Comment

Send it to a machine shop for $50 and forget all about it. Not worth the risk of having it be slightly warped and find out when you've got it all assembled.
                    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Whoever ground it last time hadn't trued the stone in a while!

I'd have that recut.

I've even done it in a lathe...

t
                      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I have serious anxiety issues when it comes to traffic related stuff
                        that's kind of funny, Austin...

t
                        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Thank you my doods - the NAPA here will resurface a flat flywheel for $27!

Comment

What do you make of this comment on E30Tech from 2014? It's discussing a 240mm i flywheel.....

"You can totally remachine that flywheel. Just make sure they keep a .011" step where the cover plate bolts to. You cannot simply just machine the entire surface flat all the way across."

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                              What do you make of this comment on E30Tech from 2014? It's discussing a 240mm i flywheel.....

"You can totally remachine that flywheel. Just make sure they keep a .011" step where the cover plate bolts to. You cannot simply just machine the entire surface flat all the way across."
                              I believe it is elevated for the clutch disk surface... I am pretty sure the Bentley mentions having the .011" step...
                              - Greg
                              α Team Founding Member
                              1984 BMW 325 Henna Rot - Sarah -Uber project
                              2011 BMW 335d LeMans Blau - Daily Diesel Torque monster

Comment

I don't know the reasoning, but it is there for a reason. However, I had a machine shop resurface one for me a few years back and they completely eliminated the step...still works fine to this day, so...
                                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Working...
                                X