Thinking about moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about moving

my family to (Perth) Australia, & have a possible sponsorship through the Australia Skilled Migrant Worker Visa program. We like what we've read about Australia and it's people and we're looking for an alternative to the typical American upbringing for our kids. Any thoughts? My family and I currently reside in NW U.S.A.

I can't speak for absolutely certain, but everyone I know who's been to Perth for more than just a holiday has said its a great place to live, quote "really pretty". They also say it gets really hot in summer cause of the wind coming over from the desert.
    One of my cousins is living there at the moment and is really enjoying it.

I couldn't tell you much more about Perth specifically, but figured some kind of response is better than none in this case.
    There's also a good BMW guy in Perth called Rubin that might be a good enough reason to move there?? haha

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. After a telephone interview yesterday I was told I have the opportunity to work in Victoria and Queensland as well as WA. It'll be tough figuring out where to go never having been there.

Comment

If you could be a little more specific as to where exactly in QLD and VIC you'd be working I could probably help a little more, cause WA and QLD are big states, VIC not so much but WA is over 1.5 Texas' for reference.

Assuming in Victoria you work in Melbourne, its been planned pretty well so getting around is pretty easy cause it has good road networks. The beaches aren't great and they play AFL which is a weird game all Victorians seem to absolutely love! haha Other than that they host the F1 in March, and as a Sydney-sider thats all Melbourne is good for.

Brisbane is good because there aren't many people there, especially compared to Sydney or Melbourne so peak hour (rush hour) traffic isn't that bad, and the Gold Coast is just under an hour's drive to the south- thats Surfer's Paradise and all of the theme parks; Wet'n'Wild, Movie World, Sea World and Dreamworld, and the Sunshine Coast is about 1.5 hours drive to the north.

Comment

My uncle moved from Portland OR to Brisbane and he absolutely loves it there. I understand a lot of things are a lot more expensive in Australia than here, but still its a very nice place to live.
          '88 325ic - Vert in winter baby!
          '91 318is - Gone :(
          '95 530i - Gone :(

Comment

Brisbane, hmmm. 323iNathan: what's your take on Perth?

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBMW View Post
              My uncle moved from Portland OR to Brisbane and he absolutely loves it there. I understand a lot of things are a lot more expensive in Australia than here, but still its a very nice place to live.

the economy there probably makes up for it, just like in nyc. cigs cost a shit ton there, but people also get payed a shit ton as well.
              sigpic

Comment

I moved to perth a couple years back for a half a year, on a travelers visa.... it was a good time.. I got offered a sponsorship.. but i came back to canada... wish i stayed... beautiful over there..

Comment

Did you find housing expensive and hard to come by in Perth? From what I've read this is the #1 downside.

Comment

I rented.. but yea.. everything was expensive there.. but i made great money over there.. i figured it all evened out

Comment

On average, out of the three cities you're possibly moving to, Melbourne will be most expensive, then Perth and then Brisbane, but there won't be a big difference between Perth and Brisbane. As for availability sorry but I couldn't give you an accurate answer cause I'm not looking to buy (in Sydney, let alone the rest of the country! haha) at the moment.

Comment

thanks for the input, guys. I'm reading more about Brisbane.

Comment

Brisbane is the place to be :P, Good weather generally. Gets a bit hot in summer occasionally (between 30-39 degrees C) and winter isn't too cold (around 8-24 degrees C).

Turbo M42 Build thread:
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=169672

Comment

Australia is the best place. I spent 18 years on the gold coast and loved every minute of it. Now in a minning town in South Australia. Perth is freat but its just one long city. If you like the small towns with great roads and lots of green then you cant beat South East Qld to Vic. your family will love it and its BMW city.

good luck with the move, sorry if you cant read this, its been a long day

Comment

Brisbane do it

Comment

Working...
                              X