Firewall and floor rust...How bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firewall and floor rust...How bad?

So...I've got several specific questions regarding some rust in both my drivers and passenger side front floor, and I also a tiny bit of rust on the drivers side where the firewall meets the well. I mainly want to know peoples opinions on the firewall rust. I've already got the subframe pulled (along w/ control arms, sway bar, steering rack, etc)

I know I didnt add any pics of the passenger side floor. I will when I have a chance, but for now I'm primarily concerned about the driver's side
    (I also attached the pics in case they don't show)

Firewall rust, is it fixable?
    If so:
    -how many/which components in the engine bay will I have to remove?
    -can I just cut a generous part out from the inside and weld stock of a similar thickness in?
    If not:
    -Part Out?

Floor rust
    -Im assuming its fixable, given what I've seen other people fix on here
    -what gauge do people usually use for the floor? otherwise I can figure out myself
    -do i need to add in a drain?
    -when people usually repair this do you all remove the carpet completely? cut out the general area and patch it back in later?
    -when people get "soggy" or "wet" carpets do they usually replace that section? the whole carpet? or does it dry out just fine?

Besides this does anybody have any tips for this repair or is it as straight forward as it sounds? Thanks in advance, I will update this thread as the repair continues if people are interested
    Attached Files

Looks like you still have sound deadening on the floor. You need to remove that to determine the extent of the rust. On the firewall, you need to see how bad it is on the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
      Looks like you still have sound deadening on the floor. You need to remove that to determine the extent of the rust. On the firewall, you need to see how bad it is on the other side.
      Will do, I'll check it out and post updated pics

Comment

Originally posted by pdmjr1 View Post
        -how many/which components in the engine bay will I have to remove?
        Everything in the way needs to go, along with whatever sound deadening is in the area.

-can I just cut a generous part out from the inside and weld stock of a similar thickness in?
        If you get everything removed from the opposite side you can do the repair that way, though you'll want to protect both sides of the repair with rust prevention coatings.

-what gauge do people usually use for the floor? otherwise I can figure out myself
        I've typically recycled West German sheet metal from old fenders.

-do i need to add in a drain?
        I wouldn't unless you want it as close to original as possible.

-when people usually repair this do you all remove the carpet completely? cut out the general area and patch it back in later?
        You definitely want to remove the carpet. Leaving it in will only make the job harder.

-when people get "soggy" or "wet" carpets do they usually replace that section? the whole carpet? or does it dry out just fine?
        Unless it's gone mouldy the carpet will dry fine and can be reused if it's not too worn.

Comment

Working...
        X