R3VLimited Forums

R3VLimited Forums (https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/index.php)
-   E30 FAQ and DIY (https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   WARNING: Drilling bumper shocks. (https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=199066)

zxert 02-26-2011 01:56 PM

WARNING: Drilling bumper shocks.

I was tucking the front bumper on my 84' drilling the shock off of the car. I used a very small drill bit and held a rag over the hole. The shock exploded with way more power than I estimated. The shock fluid shot in a fine mist and hit my roof, car, drill and my face. The shock of the shock exploding caused me to gasp and I inhaled the mist of death. I cleaned everything up and felt fine.

The next day on my way to work I felt drunk and I was coughing painful lung tearing coughs. I just avoided coughing as much as possible until I got home, at which point my throat started to close up. I laid down and relaxed and it went away. Then 4 or so hours later my throat was almost completely closed. So I called the poison control center who looked up the info and informed me that this fluid is hydrocarbon based and very harmful(no shit). It often causes delayed pneumonia symptoms which I had.

So I went to the ER with a 100 degree temperature coughing up huge chunks of random stuff with extremely painful coughs.

After a chest Xray I was told I wasn't going to die. Given a breathing treatment to open up my lungs and sent home with an inhaler.

I'm a idiot for breathing it in, and for not setting up a better shield. If you're going to do this, wear a mask, face shield, turbin, anything to protect your orifices and lungs.

LJ851 02-26-2011 01:58 PM

Damn, dude! Full face shield next time. Glad you are ok.

rblevins 02-26-2011 01:59 PM

Glad the Po already did mine ;)

rblevins 02-26-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJ851 (Post 2419469)
Damn, dude! Full face shield next time. Glad you are ok.

And this ^^

expressfish 02-26-2011 02:00 PM

Whoa, note to self: where face mask when tucking bumpers on eta. glad you're going to be alright. did you get that shit put back together and tucked ?

Joe G 02-26-2011 02:07 PM

holy hell. Im doing this next week, thanks for the warning. Glad your okay.

Albuquerque30 02-26-2011 02:22 PM

Yeah, I heard a lot about things like that (not exactly your case) but I wore goggles, did it outside, away from my car, and most importantly, closed my mouth right before breaking through.

Glad you're going to be okay OP. Seemed like a scary situation.

mrsleeve 02-26-2011 02:28 PM

shock Oil is.................well oil. Of course its hydrocarbon based.

but yeah breathing in anything other than air is generally not advisable, as is drilling holes it shit that has highly compressed fluid in it. UNLESS Proper precautions are taken.

I am glad you are ok, and the good thing about this is, you have learned a very valuable lesson outta this.

Sorry to be the grandpa in the room.

e30e 02-26-2011 02:31 PM

That sucks, hope you feel better

When I drilled the shocks we were squirting the fluid onto our neighbors yard and plants.....Two days later; DEAD!/

DEG 02-26-2011 02:42 PM

damn. good to know, thanks!

JasonC 02-26-2011 02:45 PM

Good to hear you're ok. But i thought that when drilling a shock that was under pressure, that common sense would say stand back for the pressure to be released!

zxert 02-26-2011 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by expressfish (Post 2419475)
Whoa, note to self: where face mask when tucking bumpers on eta. glad you're going to be alright. did you get that shit put back together and tucked ?

Haha yeah it's back together and looks so much better.

zxert 02-26-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonC (Post 2419555)
Good to hear you're ok. But i thought that when drilling a shock that was under pressure, that common sense would say stand back for the pressure to be released!

Yeah I'm totally retarded. But I did learn my lesson. I felt like an idiot explaining what happened to the doctor. "what's a shock absorber?"

mRodiek 02-26-2011 03:44 PM

Ahhh damn that sucks, good to hear your ok

Live & learn!

zxert 02-26-2011 03:52 PM

Fever is 103 degrees. Getting worse. Missed the E30 meet :-/ Rad.