Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
    Will,

If you do it, i'll do it in the disco...But i'm leaning towards a L96 w/ a 6L80 6speed auto trans
    Now THAT would be a fun swap! I'd be offended if you didn't let me help with that. :D

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
    What are you talking about, the first few years of LSx were cast iron blocks. ‘06 was the first year of aluminum block and it was used in the 360 suv chassis and I think the vette.
    Cars were always aluminum LS-style blocks. Trucks started iron and have moved to using both.
    84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
    Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
      What are you talking about, the first few years of LSx were cast iron blocks. ‘06 was the first year of aluminum block and it was used in the 360 suv chassis and I think the vette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      A truck motor is not an LS motor - LS style, sure, but an LM7, or an LQ9, is not an "LS". Plain and simple. That was the point I was trying to make.

Furthermore, the modern day LS1, was always aluminum block.
      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
        Only 21 yo who doesn't know how to make pics looks prwtty
        First off, I'm jealous as hell. I've been a 911 fanatic since I was a toddler. Congrats to you Hank, it's a life long goal of mine.

Where did you find the car, and what the hell am I doing wrong?! LOL, I'm 11 years older than you and nowhere near classic P-Car ownership.
        1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
        SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
        Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Comment

^ ditto
          clutchCTRL!
          Move with a purpose.
          - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
          - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
          - 2000 323i AT
          2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by iansane View Post
            Now THAT would be a fun swap! I'd be offended if you didn't let me help with that. :D
            dude.....hell yes. Do you have connections on sourcing motors and tranny's as well? I'm leaning towards nex year that i'll start piecing everything together
            -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
            91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
            08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
            04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
            Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
            Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

If I wasn't preoccupied buying Camera shit Id keep my eyes open for a late 90s early 2000s rust bucket out here in wisconsin and throw the motor in the back.

Honestly anything fits, 5.3 / 5.7 / 6.2 etc but I figure 5.3 is most reasonable if I dont want to buy crazy axles.
              1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
              willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                If I wasn't preoccupied buying Camera shit Id keep my eyes open for a late 90s early 2000s rust bucket out here in wisconsin and throw the motor in the back.

Honestly anything fits, 5.3 / 5.7 / 6.2 etc but I figure 5.3 is most reasonable if I dont want to buy crazy axles.
                I get it lol. If i didnt buy my R9T Racer, i'd also be on the hunt for a wrecked rig to stow at my shop.

I just want a 6.2 for shits and gigs. There is a dude that made an adapter plate that allows you to bolt in any Gen IV LS motor/6L80 auto trans to the stock LT230 Land Rover Transfer Case. Plug and play solution so you can run all the normal LR driveline shit from the T-case back...but at that point i'd definitely upgrade axles.

Next year boi's
                08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by TFJR View Post
                  First off, I'm jealous as hell. I've been a 911 fanatic since I was a toddler. Congrats to you Hank, it's a life long goal of mine.

Where did you find the car, and what the hell am I doing wrong?! LOL, I'm 11 years older than you and nowhere near classic P-Car ownership.
                  Haha, thanks man :)

Found the car on Craigslist randomly browsing. Basically right place, right time, and I happened to have some cash in hand from NOT buying an e36m3 this last Sunday. An air cooled p car has been a dream forever.

All in all, 22k is what I payed, definitely lower than market value, but it's still a driver's car. It's not super duper clean or anything.
                  Hank Ahrens
                  1984 Alpine Coupe
                  1978 911sc

Comment

But at the end of the day...

Sorta crap 911> no 911
                    Hank Ahrens
                    1984 Alpine Coupe
                    1978 911sc

Comment

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
                      But at the end of the day...

Sorta crap 911> no 911
                      You're doing it right kiiiiiid
                      08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
                        dude.....hell yes. Do you have connections on sourcing motors and tranny's as well? I'm leaning towards nex year that i'll start piecing everything together
                        Nah, not anymore. And even when I did it was always cheap high mile versions or ones with easy fixes like a dropped valve seat or something. A couple hundred and they're back up and running. You'd be better off with a pullout from some truck to get the engine/trans/harness all together. SO much easier to swap.
                        84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                        Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Keep an eye on CL or offerup. I recently picked up a running (with lifter tick) 5.3 ls for $80
                          Originally posted by Sonny
                          I am a meme for our community.

Comment

What's your thoughts on using mahle rings on m54 pistons? They're significantly less then oem bmw, but the pistons are mahle too, so what's the real difference?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sigpic

Comment

5.3 with lifter tick is common. Especially if it’s got the cylinder defeat system. It’s sucks and for a hp build you’ll want to remove it, which is not hard to do. I had to replace the lifters twice in a year on my Saab 9-7x with the Aluminum 5.3.

Also, if you are building a motor for pure performance and don’t want to go aftermarket heads, get the heads of a 5.3 in the GMT360 body (after they switched to the aluminum block in ‘06). They put the large port/large valve heads on them and flow miles better than even the car LSx” ones. When I parted out the motor in mine I had tons of people trying to buy the heads because of that fact..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                              2016 Ford Flex
                              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

The Toyota 3vze has a massive 150hp 180lbft so a stock 5.3 is fine lol
                                1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                                willschnitz

Comment

Working...
                                X