E30 m20 into E28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 m20 into E28

In the process of pulling my m20 out of my e30 to put an m52 in and recently came across an e28 that has everything but the engine and trans for a sweet deal. Is throwing the e30 m20 into the e28 as simple as plopping the motor in and plugging it in or what's all required for this simple swap?

Do you have an eta, super eta or 325i engine coming out?

Comment

In for info as well. I’ve tried looking it up . Its do-able for sure.
      1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
      1998 e36 328ic/5 -
      Roundie alpina pig cheekā€™d (1969)
      1967 2002 parts car
      1994 318iS junked.

Comment

I think the pan and harness are different. Don't quote me, but you might need a super ETA harness if your engine is an M20B25. Also, the eta would be the way to go in the E28 due to weight. I suspect that driveability would be a little compromised in an E28 with a M20B25 due to the torque curve. You could certainly dial it in with the differential ratio which might need to be 3.91 or 4.10. With that said, the car would weigh about the same as an iX or a cabrio so it obviously can be done - its just not going to feel fast. Eta engines are great for comfortable/pleasurable driving with plenty of low end grunt, but do not expect to crank one out to 120 MPH in the desert. Another thing is that the E28 had a wide range of differential ratios so the gearing might have to be changed depending on the specs from factory.

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, it's not impossible.

Comment

Likewise, I am searching for information. I've done as much research on it as I possibly could. It is not completely impossible to do.

fnf mods

Comment

e28's came with m20's, so of course it's possible. The only "issue" is the engine harness plugs will be in different locations.

I have used m20b25 engine harness in an e24 and e28 m30 cars (yes, use the early 1987 m20b25 harness on m30b35) on multiple occasions since the motronic 1.1-1.3 e24/e28 harnesses are nearly impossible to find. The early harnesses used the individual injector wires, so they can spread out for the larger m30. The main relay wire will be on the wrong side, need to be extended, the c101 has to be swapped (or make and adapter), and depending on how you route it, possibly the TPS and CPS wires as well.

In your case, it will be a similar swap. Mainly the c101 needs to be addressed.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I have an 86 528e that I would like to improve performance. Would an 885 head conversion really improve the power and dependability of the ETA engine? I think its easier than putting in an M20B25 engine. Thoughts?
                I am not sick, I am twisted. Sick makes it sound like there is a cure.

1991 318is Diamantschwarz Metallic
                1989 325i Alpine White

Comment

You are so talented at putting it together,Worlde, if only you could go back in the process and share it would be awesome.

Comment

Working...
                  X