No announcement yet.

M20 Refresh - Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank bolt came off in about 2 seconds with the impact.

Fresh from the parts washer.

1991 318iC
    1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Took me and 2 others with massive breaker bars to get that crank bolt off.

then again, the shop that the PO took the car to loved to over tighten every single bolt they saw. Except the cylinder head bolts, 2 were hard to loosen (as it should being 30nm, 90 + 90 torque), the rest came off with some effort, but not even close to the first two (suspected incorrectly torqued down head bolts).

Replace the transmission mounts while you are there as well.

Comment

Glad I had the impact. I was on the fence about getting it and am really glad I did.

Got the fuel tank out and ordered new rubber hoses. May or may not have gotten the correct ones. Real OEM was a bit vague.

Dropped the VC and intake mani for powdercoat.

Took a closer look at the 5 speed I got. It's an E trans with the dual mass flywheel. Did some reading here, appears it should work fine with a Euro 323i bearing. Ordered a fancy RHD flywheel. It was cheaper than OEM.
        1991 318iC
        1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

How’s the project coming? I ordered the same RHD flywheel (after some paypal probs that I think others have had) as well as a stock sachs clutch kit. What color did you specify for the powdercoating?

Comment

I'm out of town this week. Did hear injectors are done and head is about done.
            Powder coating black. Raised areas will be aluminum.
            1991 318iC
            1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Progress slowed. I've been out of town and/or busy with work.
              Out of town again next week. Things should get back to normal after that.

Did get some parts back.

Head.

Valve cover and intake with fresh powder coat.

Wiped cam lobe.

1991 318iC
              1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Made some progress today.

Oil pan on, head on, engine timed, new timing belt, tensioner and water pump.

Block surface cleaned up. Cleaned carbon buildup off the piston tops. Didn't polish them. They look weird here as there is some residual oil on them.

Fresh Surface on rebuilt head.

Starting to look like something.

1991 318iC
                1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Got some little stuff done last night.

Got the cam belt covers sorted out and pulleys on.

Resealed the oil cooler thermostat.

Found out I'm missing a stud for the thermostat housing. Anyone have a part number for that?

1991 318iC
                  1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Big day today.

1991 318iC
                    1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Good stuff! Nice access for the load leveler with no accessories or manifold. Im curious what your opinion of the in situ reassembly will be.

Aftermarket starter? I do suggest testing its engagement with the RHD flywheel before you get too far to make sure you are comfortable with it. In hindsight I do think a very light amount of dry lube on starter gear would not be a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by r-mm View Post

Aftermarket starter? I do suggest testing its engagement with the RHD flywheel before you get too far to make sure you are comfortable with it. In hindsight I do think a very light amount of dry lube on starter gear would not be a bad thing.

Well I should have paid more attention to this.
                        Attempted to crank it for the first time last night.
                        Sounds like the Bendix gear is hitting the flywheel.
                        Makes a couple good hard whacking sounds when I turn the key.
                        Turned engine over to try it in other spots with no change.

Need to pull the reman starter and install the original.
                        Good thing is I don't have everything back in the car.
                        Bad thing is I don't think the trans had threaded holes so I need to figure out how to hold the nut.

1991 318iC
                        1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

I have questions.

Do you have to take out the woodruff key (number 9 on the picture) on the crankshaft to change the crankshaft seal?

How do you insert the timing belt gear wheel (number 11) back on the crankshaft?
                          The crankshaft bolt is short.

Comment

I found this inexpensive crankshaft holding tool.

The handle is not long enough, but I can put a concrete block on the floor and it will hold it.

BMW CRANKSHAFT HUB LOCKING TOOL (M20/M40/M41/M43/M44/M50/M51/M52)

Comment

Woodriff key does not have to come out, the seal rides on a thicker part of the crank snout. Don't forget the oil pump drive seal while you are in there (same part number as the cam seal).

I made that tool out of a scrap piece of 1/2" aluminum and a band saw, use and loan it to my friends all the time. Since you motor is in the car, you can wrap the tool with some towels and let it rest against a frame rail.
                              john@m20guru.com
                              Links:
                              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Pulled starter. Looks identical to the original.
                                Bench tested both and they are working.
                                The Bendix engagement on the original starter is more solid and it extends slightly further.
                                Installed the original and still not working.

Revd my pics. Flywheel is on correctly. I check the teeth engagement with the original auto part and it matched.
                                Not sure what the issue is.
                                I'm going to pull it again and see if the sheet metal spacer piece got out of alignment and isn't allowing the starter to sit high enough.

1991 318iC
                                1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Working...
                                X