How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by matt View Post
    So, I haven't tried this swap yet but I have a question. Is it possible / does anyone put the spacers below the rack?

That would reduce bumpsteer in lowered cars by moving them closer to the stock tie rod angle, it seems like. Is there any reason you couldn't?
    Good idea, but I am almost sure the rack won't clear the oil pan. Look at the pics at the beginning of this thread showing the clearance and then look at the thickness of the spacers I made on the page before this one.
    BMW, The Ultimate Flying Machine.
    sigpic
    2003 BMW e46 325i-sport 1987 BMW 335is Turbo (in the making) 1974 Triumph TR6 (in the making)

Comment

now that I have my new rack I'm ready to buy the rest of the shit.

On BMA they have 5 different hoses listed. three are described here in the thread ( res to pump, res to rack, rack to pump) but the other two have no description

Power Steering Hose
      Low Pressure12mm x 18mmBulk Hose Sold Per Meter84-87

and

Power Steering Hose
      Low PressureReinforced16mm x 22mmBulk Hose Sold Per Meter84-87
      P/S HOSE

The first three listed all have bajo ends and the last two that dosn't have a descripsion as to where they go, do not..

which ones should I get?

Also it is mentioned in the thread about using the stock E30 line and bending nthat instead of the E36 for the rack to pump... at one point someone says it would be easier to use the E30 one and at another point someone says the E30 one would work if your innovative... which one should I go with.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwaddict View Post
        Good idea, but I am almost sure the rack won't clear the oil pan. Look at the pics at the beginning of this thread showing the clearance and then look at the thickness of the spacers I made on the page before this one.
        Yes it does clear the oil pan, but ever so slightly.

i put the spacers [washers] underneath just to test and it worked so i left it, but seems to me like its too close to the oil pan and idk if that heat will cause the rack to fail faster...my initial reason was because i was lowering the car (and i did A LOT) but it really doesnt matter idk what i was thinking...just trying to be informative.

here's a pic of my spacers
        posted this in page * (edit pg 11) along w/ using the stock e30 hose and e36 inner/outer tie rods (as pictured)
        Last edited by etxxz; 07-11-2007, 09:13 AM.
        No more e30s for me.
        88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
        88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
        91 BMW 325i [sold]
        86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
        http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

i didnt catch it, but what are these bolts for? Bolt M10x50 - - - - - - - - - 26111226737 - - - - x2 - - -$2.70

also, what is the length of the spacers needed on both the rack and the knuckle? lastly, has any1 done this conversion on an m/s50 swapped e30? wondering if the spacers are still needed with this swap...
          IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
            i didnt catch it, but what are these bolts for? Bolt M10x50 - - - - - - - - - 26111226737 - - - - x2 - - -$2.70

also, what is the length of the spacers needed on both the rack and the knuckle? lastly, has any1 done this conversion on an m/s50 swapped e30? wondering if the spacers are still needed with this swap...
            [me thinking]: i don't see why it wouln't fit with an M50 since the rack has a specified space top/bottom where it bolts onto. That being said, the mounting part on the e36 is also "smaller/skinnier" so the e30 will need a spacer regardless, but should probably go on the top side since there's oil pan clearance issues with these other engines. If they fit with an e30 rack it has to fit with an e36 rack says i.
            No more e30s for me.
            88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
            88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
            91 BMW 325i [sold]
            86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Just put my 95 M3 rack in. Put 3 head washers on each side. No need to modify the linkage, slid the steering column knuckle up, gave me plenty of clearance, easy as pie (of course, I have no engine... lol)

A few mill clearance on both ends of the linkage:

3 head washer spacers, and installed view:

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
                [me thinking]: i don't see why it wouln't fit with an M50 since the rack has a specified space top/bottom where it bolts onto. That being said, the mounting part on the e36 is also "smaller/skinnier" so the e30 will need a spacer regardless, but should probably go on the top side since there's oil pan clearance issues with these other engines. If they fit with an e30 rack it has to fit with an e36 rack says i.
                Nah, the M50 oil pan actually has a little more clearance than the M20 one, from the looks of it. I don't think mounting the rack higher will be a problem at all.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                  Nah, the M50 oil pan actually has a little more clearance than the M20 one, from the looks of it. I don't think mounting the rack higher will be a problem at all.
                  FWIW, if I put the spacers on the bottom of the rack, I don't think there's any way the linkage would fit the way it did, without modification. At the very least, it'd be jammed very tightly.

Comment

So it's a linkage issue ehh...

Comment

i installed my rack on thursday. Very simple with the motor out.
                      NEED SOME VINYL STICKERS???

Comment

Originally posted by BigD View Post
                        Just put my 95 M3 rack in. Put 3 head washers on each side. No need to modify the linkage, slid the steering column knuckle up, gave me plenty of clearance, easy as pie (of course, I have no engine... lol)

A few mill clearance on both ends of the linkage:

3 head washer spacers, and installed view:

very cool. soo the extra clearance from the washers allowed extra clearance for the knuckle eh? using an e30 knuckle rite? this is useful info, as i have a bunch of headbolt washers from my swap, and am just about to put in my z3 rack.
                        IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Ok so is the standard e36 rack worth the swap? how much faster is it tha the factory e30 rack? i cant find a z3 or m3 rack cheap here :(
                          sigpic340hp V8 e30 FINISHED!!!!!
                          Quick vid for ya ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp5Eaf8xOgM
                          NEW One on the track :)
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-AX5SzSLnk
                          Cleaning up some 911s and Jap turbos
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad79wsLdle4

Comment

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
                            very cool. soo the extra clearance from the washers allowed extra clearance for the knuckle eh? using an e30 knuckle rite? this is useful info, as i have a bunch of headbolt washers from my swap, and am just about to put in my z3 rack.
                            I don't know if putting the washers below would negate the possibility of doing what I did, I didn't try but I think the key that the people modifying the linkage are overlooking is the ample room on the steering column side. The knuckle sits at the very edge of the rod, you can slide it up like 1/2-3/4", giving you more than enough room on the rack side. And yeah, all stock E30 bits.

Originally posted by drifty340i
                            Ok so is the standard e36 rack worth the swap? how much faster is it tha the factory e30 rack? i cant find a z3 or m3 rack cheap here :(
                            The stock E30 racks are 4 turns lock to lock, the 95 M3 rack is 3, the others are 3.2 (the Z3 rack is 2.7 but only because it has limited range [no need for so much lock on a short wheelbase car like the Z], some people say it's the same gearing as the 95 M3 [ie 3 turns] but due to the year it was released, I wouldn't be surprized if it's actually a 3.2 turn rack limited to 2.7).

I haven't driven mine yet obviously but I'm really expecting a big difference. If you've ever autocrossed an E30 or driven on a track with tight, slow 180's then you'll know the problem. On Pacific Raceways turn 3a/b I've actually had to either hold the wheel way offset or shuffle steer because my arms would bind and it still wouldn't turn in tight enough.

Comment

I just picked up an e36 non-M rack from a pick-and-pull ($32.50 after tax, core and entrance, and it was just sitting on the ground w/ the front subframe!). I just want to clear a couple questions.

1) E30 inner and outer tie-rod ends bolt onto the e36 rack

2) No modification is necessary to the knuckle if I slide it up higher.

3) I can stack washers for spacers for the rack (I can modify the actual height of the rack this way too).

4) There is more than one way to put the knuckle onto the rack, so I have to make sure everything is lined up straight first.

I think that's all of my questions. Thanks for all the info!!
                              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Nobody has a clue?
                                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Working...
                                X