How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just joined R3v and I am a big fan. I figured I could help out some member with a write up. Feel free to leave questions and/or complaints.

This is my E30 when I bought it from the previous owner. 1991 325i coupe.

There was a whole list of things I wanted to do to it. But one of the first was powder coating the chrome trim. So I found this:

And started removing everything. It was very detailed and it helped out a lot. I had every piece off except the lower chrome piece on the back window.

After messing with it for a while I wound up removing the rear window. I highly recommend having two people for this. Easy way I found for removing the rear window was push on the glass and bend the gasket in and out of the frame. It's not very hard.

This is when I found out that the rear window was one solid piece. Below picture is after it was powder coated.

I ordered all of the clips and hardware for replacing the trim. And I was told it could take up to two weeks to get it. so I installed all the trim I could and put my windows back in. I used the string method and if you don't know what I am talking about, explaining it isn't really going to help. So here is a video.

Here's a quick demonstration of how to use the string method to install a 944 rear quarter window. I'm sure this method applies to other window types, too.

Well I forgot to put on the side gaskets. The rubber gaskets that go on the window frame facing the door.

So I had to remove the windows again, install the gaskets and install the windows again. The first time I did it there were no issues. The second time I did it the head liner kept falling and the gasket around the window started tearing. So I glued the headliner and took my time and installed them again.

Well I received the trim clips and hardware. Got it together and went to install it on the car. To install the trim piece on the outside edge closest to the rear window, you have to install with the window out or the gasket gets in the way.

So I removed it again. And when I went to reinstall the window the headliner kept falling again and the gasket started tearing even more. I figured I would order new gaskets. After I saw the prices I figured I would bump up my next upgrade to vent/pop out window.

Two things I hate about the late model E30's is no pop out windows and an air bag wheel. So I already had planned on eventually swapping my solid windows for pop out windows. I posted in the wanted section and willworkfore30s sold me a full set. I painted them because I couldn't powder coat them. And started my install.

Now what you have been waiting for, converting solid windows to pop out windows.

Same basic removal instructions as:

First remove the coat hanger. Philips followed by lots of pulling and prying. After you remove it you are left with this.

I broke part of my trim. A little closer look and you will see a 8mm nut. Remove that. I used a shallow 1/4 drive 8mm. Be very careful, or you will drop it and have to remove the rear card to dig it out.

After you remove that, there is a little black plastic plug right below the seat belt. Pop that off and you will see this:

Another closer look and you will see another 8mm nut. Remove that. I used a deep 1/4 drive 8mm.

After that I had someone stand on the out side keeping the window from falling. While I pushed on the glass on the inside near the edge and bent the gasket in and out of the frame.

By this point you should have everything for the pop out windows. And if you are not sure what you need, here is a list.

1. Two gaskets that go around the frame of the window
    (They are different from the solid window gaskets.)
    2. Two vent/pop out windows with brackets
    3. Four screws and screw cap covers
    4. Four brackets to screw the screws in

Wait where do you get all that. I got all of mine from willworkfore30s except the four brackets. Read my misadventures here:

Thanks to vpilarrt and 355islandhopper I had a part number(07129925735) for the brackets/body nuts. That part number is no longer available. But fear not, I talked to pelican parts for about an hour and found the new part number for the bracket/body nut is: 51437001566-BOE.

They are $1.00 a piece and they are special order so be prepared to wait at least a week. I ordered a set but a forum member(uturn) actually sold me a full set. I will confirm the new part number is correct when I receive them. If you need part numbers for other parts needed, go here:

Pry the liner away from the window and you will see this. I was exploring by the time I was at this step, so I had already dug at the foam a little bit.

But basically what you want to do is dig out that center piece between the two lines. I use a flat ended plastic trim pry tool so I didn't scratch the paint. And you want to clean it up to look like this.

That is an early model E30 with pop out windows your goal is to make yours look like that. Thanks to uturn for the provided picture. Mine looked like this when I was done.

Then I added the bracket/body nuts.

Put the liner back and install the gasket.

Push the head liner up and work your way slowly around the frame of the window.

Install those side gaskets and put the window on. Put the two 8mm nuts back on. The hanger with the screw and the plastic cap. Almost done.

Next find the holes and screw in you screws.

Remove both screws and swing your bracket over and it should line up right with the two holes you made. Install bracket and tighten screws.

Install screw cap covers.

Do the same thing for the other side and congratulations! You have pop out windows.

Have a beer, you deserve it!
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Nice writeup :up:

Comment

Thanks. Glad someone likes it.

Comment

Awesome. This should be placed in the DIY section.

-'87 325 - ratbox swap http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...77#post3250277 << Check out my Wanted thread

Comment

Great writeup, I'm planning on doing this for my sister's iX for a Christmas present. This will definitely remove a lot of the guesswork!
          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

I received the body nuts last Friday. It took over three weeks for pelican parts to get them. So take that into account before you start this project. 07129925735 is NLA the new part number is 51437001566-BOE. It is the same exact part.

Last edited by rzerob; 09-17-2013, 01:39 PM. Reason: added pics

Comment

Thank you for the compliments, I thought more people out there wanted to convert to pop out/vent windows. But as long as it helps one person that is enough for me.

Comment

Thanks for the writeup. I have an early car with the pop outs and I'm getting a lot of wind noise from the passenger side one in particular. Do you have any pictures, or could you give more detail on how the two gaskets fit onto the window? I think I'm missing them.

Thanks

Comment

Mine are working good so I haven't had to address replacing the gaskets on windows yet, but I found a write up that a member here is doing on replacing his. Here is the thread:

My window latches pull the windows tight up against the gaskets in the window frame and I have a good seal. I will take a couple of pics of what I have and you can compare mine to yours.

Comment

Thanks for the link, and any additional info you post.

Mine has a piece on the bottom that looks to have the profile of the right side pieces in the picture from the link you provided. I'm not seeing anything that has that sort of modified diamond profile of the left side pieces. The one that I have that goes on the bottom is in two pieces on both sides, slides into the window trim it seems and is more like rubber than foam. So I'm still confused. Also, do I see those gaskets as having sticky tape on them so they just stick onto the window?

Michael

Comment

Can you post pics of exactly what you are talking about? No, it is no sticky tape.

Comment

OK,

I think it would be parts labeled 12 and 3, which I believe are the pieces shown in this picture,

Michael

Comment

Wow this is great. Still need to score a set of these for our 318is.
                          THANKS for the detailed writeup!
                          I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                          TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                          e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by michael325e View Post
                            Thanks for the link, and any additional info you post.

Mine has a piece on the bottom that looks to have the profile of the right side pieces in the picture from the link you provided. I'm not seeing anything that has that sort of modified diamond profile of the left side pieces. The one that I have that goes on the bottom is in two pieces on both sides, slides into the window trim it seems and is more like rubber than foam. So I'm still confused. Also, do I see those gaskets as having sticky tape on them so they just stick onto the window?

Michael
                            The foam pieces in the pic don't have any sticky tape. I never installed the smaller foam seal shown, as it baffled me how it was used. The larger seal shown, you will need to order 4 of them, as they are only half as long as the bottom of the window.
                            -Brandon
                            '86 325es S50
                            '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                            '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                            '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                            S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Great write up, it came in very handy.

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                              Wow this is great. Still need to score a set of these for our 318is.
                              I have a complete set, send me PM if you're interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X