Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it worth it?

I am new to BMW but have always wanted a e30. I was finally able to pick one up a few months back. I currently own a 1986 325 sedan...could be a 325e anyway I thought I was just going to stick with a slow and low theme but I am now considering a swap. I have an opportunity to pick up a 1995 325is for $500. However it doesn't run but I am pretty confident I can get it running. So my question is ..would it be worth swapping?

My take is no, unless you go M54b30, S52 or S54,
    it's not much more torque
    for a lotta hassle.

jus' me.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I have never been an advocate of the M50 swap even though it's easier than ever to do. I think most would agree that if you're going to go through the trouble...get an S50/S52. Price of the engine is higher but the same amount of work/money to swap in.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

No it is not

Comment

M50 swap is not worth it, the oil pan is too low(broke mine multiple times) and you also can't access the hvac fan. I swapped back to m20 in the long run. Much better sound too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Not sure if youre still looking into this or not. I built my motor from junkyard parts and tossed new rings ect in it and love it.
            M50 motor
            m52b28tu Crank and Rods
            M52b30tu Intake cam
            540I intake.
            This will make you a 2.8 m50 but running 11.25:1 CR. Im running stock red label ecu and I can keep pace with my brothers Audi S4 pushing 300hp/366FT NOT from a dig as his AWD would destroy me lol. Cheap build and simple to find parts. you can also stick the 330I crank, rods, and pistons in the M50 and make a S50 clone Its not 100% as the S50 has bigger pistons but its a hell of alot cheaper.
            Just my .02

Comment

I have S50 swap, I think if you did it 10 years ago, the M50 would be the quick answer. But now you can find S50/S52 and built it out, tune, headers, cams if you want. S54 if you have the $$ to do it. But there is much more to do around the car on an S54.
              1987 BMW 325is,(M3 S50 Swapped)-Current
              2010 FJ Cruiser, aka E30 Support Vehicle-(Daily)
              2008 Scion xB Lowered
              2001 BMW 325i
              1995 BMW 318ti
              1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
              1965 Ford Mustang Coupe

My Thread

Comment

No to swapping in any of the OBD1 24v engines with the possible exception of a low mileage S50. I wouldn't rule out an OBD2 M52 with S52 cams, but I'm biased.
                Originally posted by kronus
                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

This is my 2 cents. Building an m50b32 currently. Got the block from my e36 with harness, ecu, head, etc. bought a complete m54b30 long block for 200. Using s52 pistons because the block needed to be bored out regardless. You can build a motor cheap at this point, and if you use the m50 as the base core you aren't off to a bad start. But it depends what your goals are. I'm building my motor for autocross and track days, so a massive focus on mid range power and torque to 6-6.5k.

Comment

2.5L M50 the answer would be no as others have suggested.

Now an M30B35 swap.... God's engine in God's chariot (and the sump hangs down no lower than an M20!)
                    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                      No to swapping in any of the OBD1 24v engines with the possible exception of a low mileage S50. I wouldn't rule out an OBD2 M52 with S52 cams, but I'm biased.
                      x2
                      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                      X