No announcement yet.

Answers to Common Sunroof Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gotta bring this post back from the dead because God has decided to take a dump on my soul this morning. I put a new sun roof on and then when I went to reattach the liner it got all chewed up by the rails, and the back lift to raise the ass-end came off those posts and I can't it back on. What. The. Shit.
    sigpic

Comment

feel your pain man. sounds like you put it together in the wrong order

Comment

Yea something like that. When I took it over Vintage Workshop in Kailua, Ken the owner showed mercy upon me and helped me rectify the situation like the pro he is. Onto the next project!
        sigpic

Comment

Does anyone know what causes the power sunroof not to stop at flush? My sunroof wont stop at any point. I have to lightly tap the button until I get it level, but then when I close the door, the pressure inside the car lifts it back up. And also, the drivers side always sits higher that the other side.

ATTENTION:

FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT DONE SO, PLEASE DO SO AT THIS TIME

Comment

Greetings guys

Hei, i have an E30 1.8is europe edition, Manual crank sunroof , and i have the next problem...
            When i bought the car i realised that water comming inside from the back of the sunroof...okei...my first thinking... change the gasket .... ok...BUT...then i realised it is missing the rain gutter, number 12 in the drawings... okei... i found today another one...my question now...how do i fit it back in position...i have not any smalest clue...please help me...
            here are some photos...

Comment

I have water dripping past the brand new sunroof seal I just installed. Everything seems normal as it's small drops like it normally would.
              Here is where I am confused.

The sunroof seal is only supposed to block wind noise and still let water pass through to land in the drain tubes. I have the front about 1mm lower than roof and rear about 1 mm higher.
              Anyway, as water slowly drips past the seal it drips from front, sides, and rear.
              When it drips from the sides it just lands in the gutters leading to the front or rear drain tubes.
              When it drips from the front or rear it lands on the strips that hold down the headliner (spring loaded wind deflector screws etc). This front and rear dripping does not make it's way to the sides but rather saturates the headliner and soaks it's way down into the car.
              Why?

In fact, when I look at where the water lands, I don't see any obvious path to the sides even though the roof/panel/cassette are all 'curved' to lead there.
              When you get to where the rear or front meets the sides there isn't a "drop off" but rather just more stamped steel that doesn't appear to let water slope down to the gutters...
              What am I missing here? My headliner is absorbing water.
              Drains are not clogged btw I blew them out with compressed air and tested with water. There's not even pooling of water so much as saturation.

Comment

wow.. I wonder if the guy who posted right before me just answered my question..... I must be missing the horizontal rain gutter. I don't know how the hell that happened.

In fact I have the headliner portion of the sunroof out of the car to re-upholster... I think the gutter may be incorporated into that piece or something. I'd like to see what it looks like in someones car if they have a second.
                Last edited by Proctor750; 08-21-2016, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danutz View Post
                  Hei, i have an E30 1.8is europe edition, Manual crank sunroof , and i have the next problem...
                  When i bought the car i realised that water comming inside from the back of the sunroof...okei...my first thinking... change the gasket .... ok...BUT...then i realised it is missing the rain gutter, number 12 in the drawings... okei... i found today another one...my question now...how do i fit it back in position...i have not any smalest clue...please help me...
                  here are some photos...

http://uploadimage.ro/Btx/13709666_1...32808762_o.jpg

This picture may help:

That explains the rear but I don't know why I'm getting drips through the front...

Comment

Bringing this back instead of starting a new post.

My sunroof crank handle has been broken, but now its completely broken. So I got a new one, and it looks the same, but I'll be damned if i can get it to go all the way up the shaft. I know its "keyed" and only goes on one way, I'm trying it the right way but it won't go on. I'm trying to wrap sandpaper around a screwdriver (all my files are 2000 miles away) to sand any burs or anything out the inside of the crank handle, but so far no luck. Am I barking up the right tree? Has anyone else experienced this? Surely its because I bought the $15 aftermarket handle instead of the $30+ BMW one, but money is so tight I could barely justify the cheap one.
                    sigpic
                    1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

OK, to answer my own question in case experiences this issue in the future....

The MTC brand replacement sunroof crank that is commonly available online for $12-15 kinda sucks. No real surprise, I suppose. There was some sort of casting flash or bad plating inside the shaft, after filing it out and putting some oil in there it went on, although first it was 180 off from the correct keying. I didn't file THAT much.

Its in and it serves its purpose, but when folded away after use it does not line up flush with the small circular plastic trim cover that attaches to it. My crank fell completely apart, I use my sunroof a lot, but I don't have a lot of loot so there was no way I could justify $65(!) for the OEM part.

A shame this MTC isn't a higher quality part. I wonder how long it will last......
                      sigpic

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Can somebody help me with some tips how to remove the sunroof cables.

Was searching the net but can’t really find useful DIY with pictures...

I have removed sunroof and all plates i can actually see the cables like here on the picture

Question is do I have remove sunroof filler as well?

And what does it mean by dropping the motor? I have el. sunroof.

Then of course how to put new cables in…?

Also can somebody please tell me what stops sunroof when you fully open it? For some reason mine sunroof goes too far back and hits into the roof (leaves scratches on sunroof). I suspect my cables are too sloppy and they but is there any barrier that stops sunroof by going back too much?

Thanks

Comment

I've got an 84 318i.

It has a power sunroof, it's never worked since I've owned it. I'd like to get it working. Any good places to start trying to diagnose it?

Comment

Well yesterday was such a nice day I figured I drive the E30 with the windows down and sunroof open. When I got home and went to close the sunroof, it got stuck almost at the end of closing. It has about an inch before it fully closes, it gets stuck right when it pushes the wind deflector down, and its an electric sunroof. Any suggestions here?

Comment

Originally posted by Cardude View Post
                              Well yesterday was such a nice day I figured I drive the E30 with the windows down and sunroof open. When I got home and went to close the sunroof, it got stuck almost at the end of closing. It has about an inch before it fully closes, it gets stuck right when it pushes the wind deflector down, and its an electric sunroof. Any suggestions here?
                              Is the sunroof panel seal making contact with the deflector? After having the headliner installed in the touring I just helped restore that was happening, had to switch from a 1-piece seal to the lower-profile 2-piece seal to stop it from making contact, though still unsure why it came to that.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent Brick View Post
                                ...there was no way I could justify $65(!) for the OEM part.

Of note, the dealer price on OEM sunroof cranks has more than doubled in the 18 months since I made that post. These days a used one costs almost that much, paid $50 for one recently and it's not even that nice.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X