M42 rough idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 rough idle

It's rough idling when in neutral, it was sitting 12years, I changed fuel filter, sparks, and oil. Also there is a huge delay when I hit the gas. Is it the MAF, maybe still old gas in system? I only added one tank of fresh after new fuel filter, or could it be Injectors. What could it be that I could check or change? Videos below
    Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    91 318is "under construction"
    2007 328i - daily
    sigpic

Hole in the air intake boot.
    t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

So update: today she fired up and rough idle for about 10-15 mins then idle was better much more stable. I don't know if the lil bit of fresh gas is just now getting thru * I hadn't drove it anywhere yet just firing it up for testing. Today the only thing I did was put in a new MAF, I do kinda smell fuel inside the car a bit, so right now I'm with in the week I'll be putting in new spark plug wire and maybe fuel pump and coils. I'm just ready for it to run continuously smooth at start up so that I could trust it a enough for a ride around the block. I'm gonna put more fresh fuel in here tomorrow too or this weekend. Any other pointer for you'll guy would def be appreciated.

2007 328i - daily
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
        Hole in the air intake boot.
        t

It no whole it but the bottom hose connected to it is held by black tape that can't be good so it will be replaced

2007 328i - daily
        sigpic

Comment

My car was doing this when I first got it. Start it, would run real rough near idle, give it some gas and would run ok at higher rpms, then once warm would run ok at idle.

I found some old/craked vacuum lines near/under the intake manifold. Replaced them and it immediately started and ran great.

Since the cars been sitting for a long time you can almost guarantee there is a bad hose/vacuum leak somewhere. It a good place to start and hoses are cheap.

Comment

Yep I found one right under intake but part number is kinda rubbed off so I can't see it to order new one

2007 328i - daily
            sigpic

Comment

Don't order new vac hoses unless emissions inspections require it. Instead you should search for the mess under the intake thread in this section and read the info therein.

If you must get OE hoses you can look up the part numbers here: http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...M42/L-M/browse

Keep in mind that some hoses in the diagram may not look like what you have on the car.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                Don't order new vac hoses unless emissions inspections require it. Instead you should search for the mess under the intake thread in this section and read the info therein.

If you must get OE hoses you can look up the part numbers here: http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3...M42/L-M/browse

Keep in mind that some hoses in the diagram may not look like what you have on the car.

So I put my foot on pedal all the way and it hardly get gas I have to slightly rev pedal to hear the engine power up???
                2007 328i - daily
                sigpic

Comment

Ok so where is a full detail to the mess under the intake so I can fix this idle issue and coolant leak that driving me crazy?

2007 328i - daily
                  sigpic

Comment

If you want answers you need to search first and ask second as the thread that you seek is at the bottom of the section main page.

Comment

also clean out ICV with carb cleaner, and check/replace those 2 hoses that connect it

Comment

So today's I cleaned ICV still bad idle on cold start then when I hit gas I hear popping and have to tap gas for power

2007 328i - daily
                        sigpic

Comment

Video belowhttps://vimeo.com/161303274

2007 328i - daily
                          sigpic

Comment

Take off the top half of the intake manifold, it's not a big job. Fix / replace whatever mess you find under there and you'll be smiling by the end.
                            My BMW site: www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk since 1996

Comment

Lost key today waiting on Bmw to send me a new one

2007 328i - daily
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X