very rare E30 BAUR rescue roof retrofit. almost complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very rare E30 BAUR rescue roof retrofit. almost complete

ok, so i was wandering around the jy yesterday and came across a Baur e30 that some thoughtless tool turned in. as you know this kind of place will never sell you a complete car. it really makes me upset to see such a rare vehicle wind up in the crusher. Originally i pulled off the roof panel and a few pieces of proprietary hardware. last night i started thinking about this car kind of like the way my girlfriend looks at those dog rescue shelters. kinda want to save them all. anyway, i went back today and removed the entire roof area so it can be grafted onto another e30 coupe. as you can see by my sig, I have too many projects right now. if this doesn't sell, i was thinking down the road to fabricate it onto one of my ix's. as a result, i am not willing to separate any parts. all or nothing. i just want it to go to a good home where it is going to be put on a car and adored by its owner.

i know that not everyone finds a baur aesthetically pleasing, but they are awesome and they are very rare. not as pretty as an m3, but definitely much harder to come by. i could see this sort of project as something levent's shop might do. this top came off an 84 euro, but the good thing is that it can be made to fit any e30 coupe.

the setup is mostly complete. it is just missing two items: the driver's side quarter window was broken when i got to the car. also, the passenger side quarter window trim is missing. you will be able to see these defects in the photos below. i know of two e30 parts baur's a few hours west of here. i don't know if the guy is willing to sell parts off them, but at least it would be a start.

here comes the pix:

as you can see, all of the vinyl is really in excellent condition. it is dirty in the pix, but there are no rips, tears, or abrasions that i can see.

here is the vin if anyone with a carfax subscription feels like checking the history and posting it here. last digit is a 3.

the original convertible top vinyl is actually in good condition as well. the back window is gone as you can see. i think you could get away with just replacing the window for a while. if you decide to replace the entire thing, at least there is good fabric to make a pattern from.

here is the broken window mentioned above.

here is the missing trim piece on the pax side. i had removed this window yesterday and that is why it just looks like it was placed there because it was. also the horizontal piece of chrome trim that is hanging down is also in good condition. it fits into a channel in the bottom of the rubber that goes around the window. i didn't have time to put it back together before i shot the pix.

there is very minor surface rust on the lip that holds the back of the convertible top down. it would easily come off with a wire brush on an angle grinder. the package tray is in rough shape but it is complete and will be easy to use a pattern to make a new one. it is simply made from 1/8" mdf or particle board with a thin Berber carpet glued on the top.

the headliner is complete and in good condition. just like a cabrio removable hardtop, it is loose and will need to be reglued back into place.

there are two small holes in the roof panel headliner, but they are covered up by the frame rails when the top is mounted on the car.

yes, that was a german check panel. some stupid jackass tried to remove the front plastic sheet instead of pulling the entire panel. i know this because i found the front laying in the car in pieces

even the baur seat belts and the roof panel storage brackets are there. i included trunk hinges and torsion bars to make it as easy as possible to reinstall this in another car.

proprietary baur rear interior panels. obviously in black.

these are included too.

ok, price.....this stuff is so rare and hard to find. i don't even think there are any active users on this forum with a baur. i did a search to see what others were selling parts for and was not able to find a single thing. as i said before, i really want this to go to a good home. i would be proud to see this in a build thread for one of our fellow forum member's cars. its pretty hard to put a price on this, but considering that i have two days invested in driving to the yard and the better part of the day today cutting it off. also, i feel like they screwed me a little on the price by nickel and diming every little part on the assembly. the figure i have in mind is 1200.00. since i am advertising this on a national forum, i am willing to ship, but as you can imagine, i would prefer and give preference to a local pickup.
    Last edited by flyboyx; 02-12-2012, 10:21 PM.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

here are a couple more pix of the hardware that i took off the car yesterday.

there is a little hillbilly engineering with the lift knob.

sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

there are plenty of us with baur's. I know i still have mine.

I would be interested in the black rear panels

Comment

Who would scrap a euro baur. So sad

Did the car have anything else cool?

'99 M3 - Estoril/M Cross
        '92 Mtech2 - Alpinweiss/Mtech Cloth
        '013 Taco DCSB 6spd
        '012 Golf TDi DD

Comment

Originally posted by Badgtho View Post
          Who would scrap a euro baur. So sad

Did the car have anything else cool?

it had a complete euro rear bumper, zender valance(front and rear) one zender side skirt. the car was wrecked a bit in the front right. i left the front valance because it was missing a good sized chunk in that area. it had a knock off zender rear deck spoiler. lets see... also 323i badge, dual fog switch....
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Thank you, flyboyx!

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
            it had a complete euro rear bumper, zender valance(front and rear) one zender side skirt. the car was wrecked a bit in the front right. i left the front valance because it was missing a good sized chunk in that area. it had a knock off zender rear deck spoiler. lets see... also 323i badge, dual fog switch....
            Kudos to you for posting this great find. I am a Baur enthusiast, I write a Baur blog (Baurspotting), and I am in touch with many other Baur enthusiasts around the world through various forums and blogs. We are trying to locate and identify ALL the Baurs in the US. Do you know the Baur plate number from the car at the junkyard?

I am posting a link to this thread, credit to you, in as many forums and blogs as I can find to get the word out. I learned of your find in another forum, and I have joined this one specifically to thank you for saving this Baur! You have done a great thing! Thank you again!
            tom82baur
            1989 325ix, 1991 325ix
            1989 325iC
            1977 320i, 1978 320i
            1979 323i Euro, 1982 323i Euro Baur

Comment

wow! thanks man. welcome to r3v. one of the photos above has the vin written on the targa. i would love for someone to run a car fax on it and get back to me.

one of my buddies(posts under rstimpreza) apparently also recently found a baur here in houston as well.

by the way, the price above isn't firm. its just a starting point. as mentioned, i just want it saved.
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

I dont have carfax, but I ran a VIN decoder on it, FWIW:
                Chassis number 7542863
                Vehicle code 1181
                Series E30
                Model 323i
                Body type coupe
                Catalog model ECE
                Production date 1984 / 07
                Engine M20
                Transmission Automatic
                Steering Left
                Catalyzer NONE

Here is a link to a primitive Google map we have of the E21 Baurs located, or rumored, so far. I need to update it... I have just been too busy. We have three confirmed Baurs, and at least three more that are reported but unconfirmed at this point.

If the link doesn't work, you can access it in the sidebar of my blog:

Dedicated to the BMW Baur TC1 (E21 1975-83) in particular, and Baur cabriolets in general. We hope to locate and identify all the BMW Baur TC1s in existence in the United States at the present time.

Also, do you have the Baur plate number from the car? It is located on the driver's door jamb on the E30. Thanks.
                Last edited by tom82baur; 02-13-2012, 10:16 PM.
                tom82baur
                1989 325ix, 1991 325ix
                1989 325iC
                1977 320i, 1978 320i
                1979 323i Euro, 1982 323i Euro Baur

Comment

Haha how come nobody posted it was a baur when i posted the picture from the junk yard lol. Jk glws man!

" WHY DO YOU NEED 300HP TO DO THE SPEED LIMIT?"

Comment

i still need to go back and find that thread. maybe everyone thought it was obvious?
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Did that BAUR have the euro front metal valance with the fog lights? And post up a pic of the Zender.
                      ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                      ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                      ~ '87 535
                      ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                      ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
                        Did that BAUR have the euro front metal valance with the fog lights? And post up a pic of the Zender.
                        it was wrecked in the front right corner and there were no fogs. i would have grabbed them. i will post a pic of the zender, but i am out on the road right now. i'll be back in a couple days. it is the one piece early style valance.
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

fo schizzle
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

up-a-ty
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

That would be a bad azz ix if it happened. To bad I have a 4 door and your far.

Comment

Working...
                              X