Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom DSSR's - Version 3!! Stainless Steel - $60 shipped!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom DSSR's - Version 3!! Stainless Steel - $60 shipped!!

Want to make your shifts tighter? Replacing bushings is great, but the factory BMW shift rod has inherent play in it. Another way to help eliminate slop is to install a Dual Shear Selector Rod (DSSR). This spreads the torsional force on both sides of the selector rod rather than solely on one side.

Ireland Engineering, UUC, Garagistic and others make amazingly beautiful machined versions, however most E30 owners are younger guys who don't have the cash to throw out there.

Update 8/9/17

Sorry it's taken so long between updates. Lots going on at my normal job. . .

To minimize my time investment from drilling, cutting, welding, etc. I drew up some CAD of the pieces and found a small vendor to laser cut and CNC bend the pieces. T

The prototype versions aren't CNC bent and were cut on a plasma CNC so I had to do some manual tweaking, but the versions I will be producing will be 304 stainless cut with laser and CNC bent for perfect fitment.

Here's the 3D image and the actual product I had designed in carbon steel

Here it is welded together:

Testing fitment with the late model shift rod joint and the nylon washers: PERFECT

Also, since so many guys are running shifters with increased lower rod length and coming into clearance issues with harmonic dampers and whatnot, I have made a design to help clear that by making angled end pieces. Of course, this can be accomplished by bending the shaft of the DSSR.

This will lift the rod up 5 mm at the shifter end for added clearance. However, I plan to increase this to a 10-15 mm clearance.

I haven't placed an order from my endpiece supplier yet as I there is a minimum order and I am not sure if there would be enough demand since so many others are making DSSR's now.

Price for the stainless versions would be $60 shipped. I will supply zinc plated hardware with (4) nylon washers so you can adjust tension for a tight shift feel as opposed to pins and clips which offer no 'squeeze' on the joints.

So, any interest in these?

I can make these in any length you need

180 mm for your 325e guys, 187mm for you 325i guys, with a 10 degree twist for you 24v swap guys, and yes, I can even make them for you M42 guys as well!

These will come standard with (2) M10x1.5 bolts and (2) Nylock nuts so you can tighten as desired for your desired 'drag'. Clevins pins are an option, but don't allow adjustment.

If you would like a different color let me know. It will add time to delivery and cost an additional $5.

Note: You will need to purchase the late model shift rod joint P/N 25117503525 (right)

Items will be shipped out via USPS Small Flat Rate Box with tracking

NOTE:

This assumes you have removed the harmonic damper from the driveshaft as there may be interference, especially with you guys using short shift kits. If you prefer to keep it, let me know in your order as I can bend the rod to clear.

Best regards,

Ben
    Last edited by badwella; 08-10-2017, 08:16 AM. Reason: Added M42 version listing
    P.O.S 1989 325is - aka Project Sh*tbox

Project Shitbox - Restomod and other stuff - soon to be 328is

PM'ed. Been waiting for something like this for a long time.
    sigpic
    327is
    325es
    325es
    318is
    Fiesta ST
    E46 M3

Comment

I'll be a r3v customer!

PM'ed for a twisted 24V one.
      No antenna? I sell plugs!

Here: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...77#post4937877

Comment

Good to see you on here. I got a silver vein first version from you on Reddit. Haven't put it in. But quality and fitment is spot on for your older version. It bolted in nicely on my trans and shifter (Off car).

Comment

I need a 187mm with 10 degree twist for 24v swap. Inbox me and I'll send payment promptly.
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

THANK GOD!! Ive been on the edge about spending $70 for one of these. Ill take one for a 325i. PM me.

Comment

beefcakes!

Comment

Whats the possibility of getting one made for us that are doing the M60 with Getreg 420g (6 speed) swap? I don't know what the Leigh is yet....
                Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

100% vouch for his Dssr. Quality stuff and well made! Iv received one for my 85 325e. Great customer service!

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Dont bash me but do eta and "I" cars really need different size dssr's? UUC only sells one for all 6 cylinder e30s besides the ix

Comment

Pm me for info on 2 DSSR's

Comment

Wow! Awesome response for this so far.

Is there an interest in me selling a package deal for the DSSR with nuts, bolts, along with the late model shift joint and 1mm thick nylon bushings?

It'd be $60 or so shipped.

Of course, I'd be using the aftermarket MTC brand rod joint. I can secure the Genuine BMW ones if needed, but I really don't think it's justifiable in this case.

Best regards,

Ben

Comment

How about for M52/ZF320? My friend could use one.
                          Bang Gears & Burn Rubber.
                          sigpic
                          Instagram: @Dirk_LSXT

Buy my m20 racecar parts, help fund my lsx turbo swap.

Comment

Originally posted by brahbarian View Post
                            100% vouch for his Dssr. Quality stuff and well made! Iv received one for my 85 325e. Great customer service!

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk
                            Thanks, man! Glad you like it! Looking forward to seeing your build thread!

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
                            Whats the possibility of getting one made for us that are doing the M60 with Getreg 420g (6 speed) swap? I don't know what the Leigh is yet....
                            So long as I can get the measurements, I can make one. Not sure about clearance in there, but I can put bends in the rods to clear stuff no problem. We'll figure something out.

PM me so we can discuss. Thanks!

Originally posted by e30Baffoon View Post
                            Dont bash me but do eta and "I" cars really need different size dssr's? UUC only sells one for all 6 cylinder e30s besides the ix
                            No worries. Yes, UUC only makes one for both vehicles. However, it was discovered that the 325e actually requires a shorter version to match up with the stock selector rod.

Check this out: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/arch...?t-271279.html

Comment

What length do I need for the M30 swap? 200mm?

"I measured distance between the two ends, in this case 7 7/8" or 200mm. This selector rod is for an m30/Getrag swap."

via http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...Rod-(DSSR)-DIY
                              ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Working...
                              X