Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turn signals occasionally speeding up as if bad bulb - hazard switch going out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signals occasionally speeding up as if bad bulb - hazard switch going out?

I've started to notice that my turn signal will speed up intermittently and randomly.

It hasn't stuck at the higher frequency yet, but both left and right exhibit the problem. Both when holding the stalk partially (for lane change) and engaging the signal completely I have had it happen.

The frequency sporadically increases as if to indicate a blown bulb (click.. click... clickclickclick... click.. and so forth) but will resume normally for the most part.

Is my hazard switch on its way out or is this a symptom of something elsewhere in the circuit?

Could try another flasher relay... but typically this is a problem at the bulb sockets themselves. At least in the case of the rear indicator bulbs. Usually a quick bending of the contacts cures the problem.

At the front of the car (especially in early models) the harness that connects to the back of the turn signal housing can degrade over time necessitating either fixing it or cutting a soldering a new harness plug onto it. It's a 3 pin plug and I've found they tend to degrade causing an intermittent hyperflash.

You didn't specify if it is doing on both left and right signalling. If that is the case I would look at the flasher relay or the indicator stalk itself. If it is just on one side of the car then I would try the above suggestions first.
    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
    -----------------------------------------
    91 318is Turbo Sold
    87 325 Daily driver Sold
    06 4.8is X5
    06 Mtec X3
    05 4.4i X5 Sold
    92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
    90 325i Sold
    97 328is Sold
    01 323ci Sold
    92 325i Sold
    83 528e Totaled
    98 328i Sold
    93 325i Sold

Comment

same concern

such an old forum but just got my e30 and found that the hazards work fine but once I go to use the left or right turn signal its hyperflashing on both sides and no lights on outside. any helps is greatly appreciated. I ordered oem bulbs from work today to see if that would be an issue

Comment

I've found that it's typically corrosion on the housing terminals and/or bulb base. It could be the socket itself or the terminals behind. I've had success resurfacing the bulb base and bulb contacts. An easy way to test is to wiggle the bulb while the turn signal is on. If it goes from fast to normal then you've found your problem.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I had this issue intermittently with Klaus, and it was caused by a loose wire (the ground, I assume) in the front right turn signal. Re-positioning the wire(s) to that housing seems to have taken care of it for the time being.
          Originally posted by kronus
          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I wouldn't doubt its a messed up wire po cut up a bunch of wires and on the head light assembly that was previously installed and looks like botched wiring.

Comment

Working...
            X