Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Willing to drive... top E30 shop around?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Willing to drive... top E30 shop around?

In DC, but willing to drive far and wide for an knowledgeable shop.

My shop, who have served me great over the past 6 years left me a bit in the lurch. They had the car for about three weeks knocking off a number of things, and twice were held up by parts delays. I go to pick the car up and had a seriously crazy idle. So I circled the block and gave it back. They fixed the problem, throttle position sensor, but gave it back to me with it still running like crap... and essentially said they were stumped. Told me all the things they tried, but no change. I am going to throw some parts at it, but after that, who can I really trust to diagnos? Who really knows E30s between NY and NC?

Why don't you spend some time researching the issue(s) you're having and have a go at diagnosing the issue yourself?

If that won't fly, I've heard good things about Einsteins in College Park.

Comment

What motor? I worked on a early car with a idle that no matter what I tried was at 2500, finally I figured out the idle valve hoses where swapped. Swapped the valve around and idle was perfect at 800
      WTB:m60b40 in PNW
      Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
      92 525it 5 speed.
      80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Einstein's Auto in College Park is probably your best bet depending on what side of DC you're on. Gary (the owner) is a little weird, but they're a solid shop.

That said, e30s aren't really complicated cars. Any halfway competent BMW shop should be able to handle them easily.

A crazy idle sounds like a bad vacuum leak. Have you looked at your engine bay yourself?
        AWD > RWD

Comment

Yea, this is more than a simple, or should I say obvious, problem. It has some form of this issue for 6months now, including a few multiple repair attempts by me and a good shop. It somehow still remains. Multiple smoke tests, many new hoses, a number of new sensors. Just ordered a few more things to throw at it. It does sound like a vacuum leak, but if it is it has stayed hidden from us. Just looking for a new set of eyes.

The car is exceptionally well maintained, the engine bay looks new. Somehow something still is amiss. At this point may be thinking new DME or something. Picked up a rebuilt AFM this week. Swapping out relatively new coolant temp sensor too. Perhaps a wiring issue somewhere?

Comment

Bring it to the Friday meet (730pm @ college park starbucks on cherry hill lane) and we'll all look at it. I won't be there this Friday though.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

^
              That's a good plan, and if the folks there can't fix/diagnose it's unlikely that a shop could either.

Comment

Hm, maybe I'll stop by there as well, i didnt knw about this!

Comment

Strong idea... have been meaning to come to one eventually.

That said, it will be fully warmed up at that point, and running perfectly by that point. I'll have to go up tonight and leave it for the day!

Comment

Working...
                  X