Multiple Shades of Red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Shades of Red

So I've been reading on the board that there are multiple shade of red interior that was offered on our cars. Cherry, Cardinal, and Taurusrot.
    Honestly, I could care less for Taurusrot cause I think it looks almost brown, but I'm really debating between Cardinal or Cherry.

I haven't seen Cherry interior very often so I'm sure it is more rare and exclusive, but I just wanted to ask the board if they had any more information or pictures. I saw a pair of bright red seats in a sick white coupe and I pretty much fell in love, but every time I see Cardinal and compare it to the seats I saw, I know something is off.. Tried googling some pictures to confirm what I saw but to no avail..

I know Cherry was an option that never came with matching carpets as well, so I'll probably dye my existing grey. I know Cardinal, however, did come with matching carpet?

Thanks guys!

There was also Crimson as well (not sure if that's what you mean by cherry). My buddy's GF has a 90(?) 'vert with Crimson. I have some pictures somewhere I can dig up and will post tomorrow.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
    '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
    '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
    '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Your talking about stevie30

I actually think BMW's coral red is my fav and is what Ill prolly be goin for when the time comes.

COTM

Comment

^^^
        YES
        THANK YOU :)

Was that a stock color or did he dye that? That the exact interior seating color I want.. Coral Red hmm...?

Comment

That is custom vinyl.... one of a kind.

or two of a kind.

whore lipstick red.

Comment

This may sound n00b but... Can you dye vinyl? Say.. Hypothetically, I picked up a pair of nice tan sport vinyl interior instead of leather.. Dying is still possible correct?
            I wouldn't want to do custom reupholstery, but if it came to that I would; just checking my options
            Last edited by JinormusJ; 04-15-2012, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Ya dying vinyl is easier than dying leather.

Same thread the guy says all of those door cars started out as tan. I think that means the seats too but it looks more like brand new.

he used the same stuff for the carpet and the door cards, duplicolor vinyl spray.

Comment

Thanks for the help man! I'll go look into the Vynil spray... I've been wanting to dye my headliner and rear-speaker shelf black for a while now, and since it's an amazing $8 for 2 cans, I can afford it on a straight-broke college student budget lol

I wonder how the spray affects the "comfort" factor of the interior? I know for sure when I get in my car I want my seats to feel soft; anyone have more knowledge with the spray stuff and could enlighten me?

Comment

I used colorbond to dye my headliner...looks flawless and hasnt flaked, faded, or anything after 2 years
                  1991 318is ---230K - DD
                  1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                  so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Dont be going and spray paining your seats. You'll regert it in the long run. Now the door panels. Those will hold up with the proper prep work and a good quality dye. And i'm not talking the stuff from a spray can like duplicolor.

1992 BMW 325iC
                    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Obviously Jason :-P

I'm going to research leather bonding, or stuff specialized for painting/dying vinyl. I'd really love some Lipstick Red sport seats with matching carpets, but I want to make sure it lasts as well ;)

Colorbond you say..? I'd probably do that for my headliner and rear speaker shelf, but I wonder how it would hold up on the seats/carpet
                      Last edited by JinormusJ; 04-23-2012, 10:06 PM.

Comment

I think that guy used the duplicolor for the carpet, which looks totally fly to me.... and the door cards and the seat backs.

I wish he was around to say how long it lasted. The front of the seats is new.

He did it twice even. All that carpet is tan carpet

Comment

my last coupe had full black sport interior when bought it. i couldn't tell until i took off a door card that it was all originally tan.
                          so yes, it can be done.
                          1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
                          1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
                          1974 2002tii / stock
                          2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Working...
                          X