Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its your call, your car

Comment

Does that boot around the shifter generally re-install easily or is it a total PITA? Thanks.

Comment

The shifter rod came out of the barrel that is attached to the ball. The c-clip or whatever retains it, came out and was completely disconnected. So, do I just get a new clip? It was sloppy before it became disconnected. The bushing towards the rear of the car seems worn (wasted).
        I plan to do a motor swap. I have the motor, but no time yet. So, I don't want to get too crazy with this. I just want to get back on the road. Thoughts? Thanks for all the help.

Comment

As long as it shifts the same as before, go with it

Comment

I put the rod back into the shifter barrel and wired the rod to the bottom of the shifter for now. The tray looks to be completely stable. The bushing towards the back of the car that the shifter goes into is shot. I stuffed it with a cut up inner tube so that I can take up the slop. I need to drive this car. The roads are salty and this is my winter car. So, how hard is it to get to the bolt that mounts that bushing? Also, do I just get a new clip, and bushing? Can all these things be done from the bottom? Thanks.

Comment

You can use any clip. When i lost one, i went to the hardware store and got one from those drawers with all the different types of nuts, bolts, clips, and junk. Worked fine for years and probably still working.

Comment

Anybody know how hard it is to remove that bushing that is towards the back of the linkage? A rod slides through it that is parallel to the drive shaft. The bolt is hidden and it is tight. Thoughts?

Comment

I don't remember. its been a fair amount of time so maybe someone else will have a good answer. sorry

Comment

If its an early model, it mounts on some tab in the tunnel I think. If it's a late model, it mounts with 2 nuts inside the cabin directly behind the shifter hole.
                    AWD > RWD

Comment

With the car on a lift you can remove the heat shield to get to that one 13mm nut holding that bracket using several extensions and a swivel. Your problem will be installing the new one on to the shifter arm. I suggest buying a new bitch clip and every other bushing you want to replace so you can pull the selector arm and rod to get everything changed at one go.

Comment

Working...
                      X