Hidden Antenna Reception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hidden Antenna Reception

Hello! I recently bought my first E30 ('91 vert) and noticed the radio is unusable -- it works well enough when the car is sitting still, but as soon as I start to move it begins cutting in and out. I immediately checked the antenna and noticed it doesn't have one. There's just a black plastic cap covering the hole where the grommet should be.

I'd like to keep that sleek look, but was wondering how a hidden antenna's reception would compare with the stock antenna's. I'm also considering buying a power antenna instead, but as I don't know if the car originally had a power or manual one I don't know if the it has the wiring to run a power one. Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Alec

I'm pretty sure the previous owner just deleted the antenna. All cars have the wiring in place for the power antenna, so that's not a big deal.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

An antenna's vertical length determines the quality of its reception. The longer it is the better it works. I haven't seen an e30 with a manual antenna.. and not very many working power ones either. I put a generic $10 advance auto 3 foot mast antenna in mine.

Your car will have wiring for a power antenna. Look in the driver side of the trunk compartment up near the hinge for red, white, and black wires, as well as the antenna signal wire, which I believe is gray

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
        I haven't seen an e30 with a manual antenna..

my weirdo car came with the manual antenna pictured in the link i posted to the left. No part number listed on that page either.
        sigpic

Comment

There was a write up some time ago about converting the rear window defogger into a pretty stealth AM / FM antenna. Never tried it but it sounded interesting. Then you weld antenna opening closed, smooth over and paint. Could not find that write up.

Comment

Originally posted by g.ruff561 View Post
            There was a write up some time ago about converting the rear window defogger into a pretty stealth AM / FM antenna. Never tried it but it sounded interesting. Then you weld antenna opening closed, smooth over and paint. Could not find that write up.
            would the defogger still be functional or does it permanently change it's function to antenna?
            sigpic

Comment

From what I can remember, it permanently disables rear defogger. I'm in FLA. I do not need rear defogger. If it works it would be great to have the option.

Comment

Thanks. Looks like I'll get an aftermarket powered one then -- I'd rather keep it authentic, but a manual antenna seems like a real pain, and the powered ones seem expensive.

Comment

Try Z3 antenna.

Comment

S2000 antenna is a small rubber deal that gets great reception. fwiw

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                      An antenna's vertical length determines the quality of its reception. The longer it is the better it works. I haven't seen an e30 with a manual antenna.. and not very many working power ones either. I put a generic $10 advance auto 3 foot mast antenna in mine.

Your car will have wiring for a power antenna. Look in the driver side of the trunk compartment up near the hinge for red, white, and black wires, as well as the antenna signal wire, which I believe is gray
                      Come see my working power antenna ;)

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
                      (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Using the defogger isn’t the worst option, given E30 rear window’s tendencies to explode while defrosting.
                        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I would not mind trying it. Hell I tried everything else from oem units to Z3 mods. Anybody got have knowledge they care to share?

Comment

Working...
                          X