Transfer case leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfer case leak

Hey guys, I am incredibly new at this forum and hope I can get some answers for my 325ix. I have a bmw e30 325ix 1990 and have no experience with the awd sector of these cars. I put ATF in the transfer case as suggested by many forums and after I did this, I noticed the next day after jacking up the car again that there was a slight leak of red liquid(atf) that came through the viscous coupling mechanism that is right after the transfer case. Is this a major problem? what is wrong?
    and What should I do to fix this? I am pretty resourceful with finding tools and parts and even free servicing so any option is a good one. Please let me know ASAP because its worrying me that I am ruining my VC center differential.

Thanks,

Justin

The VC is inside the T-case.
    Is yours leaking from where the rear driveshaft comes out? That's just a leak at the rear output seal.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
      The VC is inside the T-case.
      Is yours leaking from where the rear driveshaft comes out? That's just a leak at the rear output seal.
      Thanks for responding man! Yes it's leaking where the rear driveshaft meets the "other part". It's the rounded piece that's mates up between the rear driveshaft and the transfer case. I think it's the viscous coupling. So u think just replacing that seal would be all I need to do?

Comment

You can not see the viscous coupling without taking the transfer case apart.

Got a pic?

Comment

You can not see the viscous coupling without taking the transfer case apart.

Got a pic?
          Okay I did alittle research (((https://goo.gl/images/PRW1yN))) and yeah I'm just looking at the fursthest away part of the transfer case which contains the vc. I think ur totally right about the deal but I was just expecting that chamber holding the vc would not have atf in it. Why doesnt the transfer case gear get like a gear lube or an oil
          Attached Files

Comment

ATF is a gear oil. What do you think is inside a transmission?
            AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
              ATF is a gear oil. What do you think is inside a transmission?
              Oh man well I just was thinking it would be denoted as strictly gear oil and not automatic tranny fluid. I'm just starting this car stuff bud I have no idea what anything is yet

Comment

If the leak is at the very back end of the transfer case, then it's most likely the rear output seal.

Comment

If the leak is at the very back end of the transfer case, then it's most likely the rear output seal.
                  Thanks so much dark side of will.

Comment

Working...
                  X