Official Aviation Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LateFan View Post

This was on a museum tour - never seen this plane before. What is it?

[ATTACH]127875[/ATTACH]
    That's a DeHavilland dh88 Comet! Very cool you got to see one. I think there are only a couple in existence!

Just saw varg beat me to it.
    89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
    I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Just to clear up any confusion - I wasn't there. Those are all shots off of our plane's Facebook page.

Comment

Well "our" airplane is in Germany now, for the Berlin Airlift ceremonies. They've had quite a ride. I think they made two drops over Normandy, and got invited to be part of the Presidential flyover formation, where they were next to airshow professionals who do this all the time.

Apparently we were something of an underdog - the other crews were coming up to ours soon after they arrived, saying "We never thought you'd make it!"

Not sure when they're headed back across.

Comment

If you missed the new "Apollo 11" doc in the theatre....not to fear, it going to show up on CNN in a few days. I highly recommend recording it. These aren't the 2-3 second clips of upscaled NASA images you've seen in the past - 90% of it was shot in 70mm cinemascope. 70mm FILM! So this new doc, that is almost 50 years old is in 4k. You can see everything. It's amazing. And the documentarians let the camera roll for a lot longer then you'll see in any discovery channels show. A must see.
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

^^ Sounds cool.

There's a PBS doc series coming up (3 nights in a row?) called Chasing the Moon, which is supposed to be very well done. About the whole Apollo program. Uses all original footage from the time rather than talking heads like typical.

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
              If you missed the new "Apollo 11" doc in the theatre....not to fear, it going to show up on CNN in a few days. I highly recommend recording it. These aren't the 2-3 second clips of upscaled NASA images you've seen in the past - 90% of it was shot in 70mm cinemascope. 70mm FILM! So this new doc, that is almost 50 years old is in 4k. You can see everything. It's amazing. And the documentarians let the camera roll for a lot longer then you'll see in any discovery channels show. A must see.
              Its also out on bluray and is awesome. Its worth buying.

Will
              '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
              '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
              '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
              '88 BMW M3

Comment

737 MAX

This discusses the probable reasons why the throttles weren't backed off in those crashes. "Between a rock and a hard place."

Comment

Miss Montana the DC-3 has left Europe and is headed from Iceland to Greenland today. Here is the itinerary on their Facebook site -

"Our Last night in Germany... Our trip home begins tomorrow. We are still in high spirits but bummed we have to leave this UNBELIEVABLE journey behind.
                  Flight plan is as follows....
                  1. Duxford England
                  2. Prestwick Scotland
                  3. ReykjavĆ­k Iceland
                  4. Narsarsuaq Greenland
                  5. Goose Bay Labrador
                  6. Presque Isle Maine
                  7. Oxford Connecticut
                  8. Destination Unknown
                  9. Up For Grabs
                  10. Manhattan,Kansas
                  11. Somewhere Surprise, MT
                  12. MISSOULA MONTANA 👏👏

We have been so blessed with all of our great support to get this airplane and her crew to Europe. We are planning on several stops on the way home to share this beautiful aircraft with the community. If you have any great ideas on where we should stop on the way home we would love to hear from you!"

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                    Its also out on bluray and is awesome. Its worth buying.

Will
                    Got it in 1080p - and it's not as good as it was on the big screen. So far this is the only film I would upgrade to a 4k projector for. Oh well. Some day. Bigger fish to fry.

The film really is awesome despite the resolution you see it in.

Comment

Also - for DB cooper fans.... Here's a somewhat detailed flight path/story.

Funny, I didn't know they landed at SEA for fuel - and sucked up one or two trucks. And on their way to RNO....at one point there was so many chase planes (5-7?). And that none of them saw a staircase open?!?!? How can you be a F-106 pilot with eyes on the plane and not see it drop a staircase drop out of it's butt?

Please support this channel by following me on Patreonhttps://www.patreon.com/allecibayD. B. Cooper is a media epithet popularly used to refer to an unidenti...

Comment

I love DB Cooper stories. Such a great mystery, so many crazy theories.

People said no way could you survive a 10,000' jump into the wilderness in the winter in a sport coat. People said he banged down the stairway from turbulence and died in the jump - why no bones after all these years? People said he likely died in the woods from exposure. People speculated he had a cache of equipment on the ground (how did he hike to find it?) They speculated he worked at SeaTac and was familiar with the plane. Some kids found that cash (but only a little of it) in a sand bar on the Columbia. At one point people said there was an older, quiet guy who looked a lot like him, who bought a farm with cash and lived out a quiet life by himself in rural WA.

Maybe he lived out his life with his bigfoot wife and they had some weird looking kids.....

Comment

After this fiasco, they added a little device to the rear door of Boeing 727’s that ensured you could not open the door in flight .

sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

The "Cooper Device!" I had no idea.

Since I haven't paid any attention for many years, I didn't know there was a guy named Robert Rackstraw in S California who has been a suspect since the late 70s. Vietnam Vet, parachute expert, explosives expert, pilot, con man, thief, scammer, lied about his medals, and maybe a murderer (of his stepfather). He won't come out and say it wasn't him, but maybe he's enjoyed the attention and is trolling everyone. Got kicked out of the army, hung out with coke traffickers, got away with a lot of stuff over the years.

A 40-person team digging into the cold case says they used a “confession” from the 1970s to finger a former CIA agent living in San Diego

The unknown skyjacker quickly became a legend in the 1970s, the subject of folk songs, books and a hit Hollywood movie.

Some crazy evidence and heavy coincidences hereā€¦
                            Note:  The list of 102 pieces of evidence begins at page 5. For more on the bolded items inexplicably cut from the 2016 History Channel special, see the “About” menu.

Comment

The other theory that is was a bitter FBI agent that knew planes and how to hijack a plane without getting shot. That the FBI would meet demands while they track him. So it's a bit of egg on the FBI's face for not being able to solve it from a retired agent doing it.

And you can survive in the PNW in the winter with just a jacket. If you keep moving for a few days. It doesn't get that cold.

Last I heard there is a movie in the works that might come out about it - Leonardo DiCaprio as the lead. Should be good!

Comment

According to this Rackstraw case, he never even had to deal with wilderness. He jumped NE of Vancouver WA where someone was waiting in a pickup. Only missed the jump target by 1300'. They went to a rural airfield and flew a small plane down the river drainages under radar to another small field on the Columbia. Witnesses on farms heard a low plane pass over at exactly that time. Changed clothes, swapped planes, flew to Portland International. He dumped 50k of the money and the explosives briefcase into a pond next to the river so they'd find it and assume he drowned. However, it sank into the mud and wasn't found until the 80s.

I'm sure this guy is selling a book and another History Channel doc, so we'll see if he's just making the evidence fit this guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X