No announcement yet.

Project: Spielereien. AKA "The dumpster fire"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DME showed up today, it has one of those orange BMW Service action stickers on it, not sure if thats a good thing or not, guess we will find out later....
    Attached Files
    Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

from my research the orange dealer sticker was a service bulletin software update that they did to cars that were brought in for service, much like a recall. i've had 4 e34 404 dmes in my hands and two had the sticker and two did not. shouldnt make a difference, either way.

Comment

Here comes a dumb question!

M60 and M62 flywheels, Are they interchangeable?
        I'm trying to locate a flywheel and clutch for my swap, and I have the opportunity to buy the set that was attached to the M62 that I got my 420g from. I don't want to go back to the dual mass, but it looks like I am going to have no choice, unless I come to a point where I can drop $2k on a set up.

Also, is there any other flywheel/clutch combinations that will work with the M60/420g?
        Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

yes you can use m62 flywheel/clutch on the m60.
          make sure you match the clutch and the flywheel, as the m60 stuff is a different diameter. (larger)

there are no single mass setups besides going with performance lightweight stuff.

Comment

Update:
            House with a Garage acquired. First car in the Garage is my buddy's IS300 with a partially finished Aristo swap, then, Probably after the picnic, then Spielereien goes in the Garage, and they Mayhem starts.
            Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Drunk M60 swap parts spree!!

So I'm not going to lie, I had too much to drink tonight. I had been back and forth on buying some of the needed swap parts for a while now, and the liquid encouragement, and my buddy maston convened me to just pull the damn trigger. I got a care package from Garagistic.com coming soon.....

....still drunk btw.....
              Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

good update! congrats on the liquid encouragement. At least you bought parts, and not cars. that rarely turns out well
                '87 BMW 325i - ground control c/o, condor bushings, 16x8/16x9 wheels - SOLD

'09 MazdaSpeed 3 - FOR SALE

Comment

Originally posted by lemansguy View Post
                  good update! congrats on the liquid encouragement. At least you bought parts, and not cars. that rarely turns out well
                  Yeah, Garagistic got a pretty good chunk of change from me. Bunch of stuff I needed for the swap, or for other projects. Picked up rear camber/toe kit, Billet throttle cable bushings for M60, Exhaust manifolds for the M60 swap, Engine mounts, sub frame spacers, tranny mount extension, drive shaft, Tach splitter, Fan, Drop hats, and a P/S block off block. Then I called and left a message at UUC, I'm pretty sure I sounded really drunk, but they still called me back. After my conversation with them I bought one of their "medium weight" flywheels and clutch kits. Shit's getting really real. I'll post pictures when the parts get here.

It will probably be this fall before I actually start assembling the whole thing. I still have some parts I want to find and build, and we need to get my buddies Aristo swapped IS300 running first.
                  Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Parts have started flowing in.....

Attached Files
                    Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

In for long term too. Mine's been off the road for 4 years. But yours is looking good!!

Comment

ok, because of another shed of tools user in the forsale section, I got a mandatory 2 week vacation. During that time, I made a road trip to Cali, and ended up staying about 20 minutes from Garagistic's shop. So I made arrangements to pick up what was done of my order. They are shipping the rest when it's done.

Spal Fan

Driveshaft

Engine mount arms, 95a poly Tranny mounts, Tach Signal splitter, Power steering delete, E90 drop hats, and Throttle bushings.

I'm still waiting for the Exhaust manifolds, 95a poly Engine mounts, 6 speed tranny mount extensions, and another Camber/toe correction kit. I'm hoping they will show soon.

We are getting closer to starting this project though, the IS300/aristo swap we are working on is almost ready to start, and once it's runner/driver, it's party time for Spielereien....
                        Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Now that the IS300/aristo swap is runner and driver, it's go time!

Brought the engine and tranny over to the house tonight, and started the tear down.

Got the exhaust manifolds, the engine mount arms, Oil filter housing, alternator, Intake manifold, injectors, Head covers, coils, plugs, and wiring harness off the long block tonight. Tomorrow I may attack the water pump, coolant tubes, the passage on the back that connects the heads, and I may attack the valley tray also. Ultimately I want to get this torn down to a long block, then check and/or replace everything that needs to be replaced.

Everything looks good, the oil that was in the filter housing was pretty clean, and the cams have pretty much no wear on them. I have one knock sensor that is pretty broken up, and the others have small cracks in them, So I'll need to replace those. Plugs look good. so far no stuck bolts, and nothing broken so far.

so much carbon, Don't wanna pull the heads though, gotta figure out another way to clean it.

Also, does anyone know if the intake can be put into a parts cleaner without damage?
                          Last edited by delamaize; 07-06-2017, 10:22 PM. Reason: Fuck Photobucket
                          Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

A little more progress on the tear down, Timing chain guides look like they brand new, no wear marks at all, and from what I can see, they are totally intact. Chains also look fairly new. Water pump was shot, Impeller was pushed towards the back of the motor about 1/8", but was BARELY not touching the inner housing. I suspected this though, with the damage to the car. So far nothing out of the norm seen, Matter of the fact, I suspect that this was a low mileage, well maintained engine.

The valley pan shows no sings of leakage, or anything. I have heard that, if you're going to have broken bolts, or anything like that, it's going to be there. So, for the time being, I'm going to leave it be.

Tonight, after work, (well super early tomorrow morning after work) I'm going to pull the oil pans and check out the oil pump. After that, it's pretty much time to order parts, and start to clean.
                            Last edited by delamaize; 07-09-2017, 08:18 PM. Reason: Fuck Photobucket
                            Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

First potentially setback. I got the lower oil pan off tonight, everything went well with that, the more and more I dig into this engine, the more I think it has been rebuilt at one time. Oil pump, drive chain, and sprockets all look brand new.

Now the bad news, The pan had moisture sludge in the bottom of it. Not sure if this means it has a blown head gasket or crack somewhere, or if it's nothing. This wasn't much moisture, like a thin coating at the bottom of the pan, under the oil that was still in the pan. Now, This motor was in a junkyard, In a car that had the hood removed, and the oil cap was missing, so their is a possibility that some rain got into the motor. I'm not sure if I'm going to roll the dice and keep with the plan and not break the heads off the motor, or do the head gaskets. WAFFLES WAFFLES WAFFLES!!! This reseal is turning into a rebuild.

I'm going to talk to a mechanic buddy, and Maston (the IS300/aristo owner) and see what they think.
                              Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

I wouldn't worry about pulling the heads, it doesn't sound like a HG issue. Of course you could always check compression or leakdown, but that won't give you a 100% picture even then.

But like you said, junkyard motor open to the elements = bound to have some moisture in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X