No announcement yet.

Pikes Peak Int. Hill Climb Turbo E30 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is awesome stuff, hats off to you and your ability to build such an awesome car!

Comment

Glad you finally registered and finally got a build thread going! I hope you don't mind me posting those pictures in the other thread.

Are you planning to take the car to HPR or Pueblo in the spring?
      318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
      '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Cage part two

Thanks guys! Ted- yea I will be hitting up a track to test some rear spring rates out and other stuff as soon as I get stuff together.

So I have been searching for some of my dslr photos and cant find the early ones for the life of me, but I found a picture of the underside engine bay before the old engine came out. The car had a pretty bad leak in the power steering reservoir and the guy just kept adding fluid instead of getting a new clamp. It was terribly filthy and had made a 1/4 inch wall of nastyness all over the place.
        Not exactly fun dealing with that lol. I had a pretty large cup filled with the dirt/fluid mixture after getting it all off.

Again back to being frugal, I didn't have a dimple die for the body gussets (and didn't bother asking some friends who ended up having one...) so I decided to make my own using a 3/4" extension and a slightly larger hole below to save money on other goodies.

More gusset making.

I ended up using 16 gauge for most of them, 11 gauge for the middle door bars.

I left the heater in the car as well because I had heard about guys having fog problems even with some of the dish soap tricks and antifog stuff, and I really didn't want to deal with that on a 14k foot mountain. It turned out that a few teams had problems with window fog, if you watch Brianne Corn's video from this year it gets pretty bad for her near the top, yet she still kept on the power. Getting the heater to fit required melting/cutting of the heater case.

These are for the main hoop to b pillar.

To hold the shoulder harness from sliding around(not welded in this shot)

About this time, my buddy pat with the neon was struggling to get his car caged and I was looking for extra money so I decided to help him out that way we both could make it to the race. Here is a few pics of the cage I built for him (Got the nodes how i wanted them this time)

Tight fit!

mostly done minus gussets in this shot

That took about a month to do, so now I could finally get back to working on my car!

Next step was to remove the undercoat to stitch weld everything up.

I started by using a knot wheel on a grinder, on my back and after about 5 minutes of hot undercoat flying all over me I said f that and went for plan b.

I used two harbor freight engine stands, cut and raised for the roof to clear.
        Note - If you do this make sure to add some extra pipe on the legs when your flipping it over as a saftey because the base on the stands is quite skinny. Also make sure give yourself plenty of room on the roof because when we were flipping it over for the first time it was super top heavy and we thought it might hit the ground, fortunately it had some clearance but only about an inch.

Here's a shot of how I mounted it to the car. I used a 1"x2" tube IIRC drilled to the original bumper mounts and then mounted that bar to the swivel part of the stand.

Ideally I would have used liquid nitrogen, but the cost was kinda high and they needed a large deposit, and I had just paid the entry fee for pikes peak so it was a knot wheel and grinder for me.

25lbs removed.

Found rust unfortunatly :( also discovered that the reason for the rust was because the rear quarter panel had been replaced by a shop but they didnt do a great job of sealing it all back together.

truck status lol.

Original roof skin put in, borrowed this idea from a vorshlag post on their GRM e30.

Now that I had all that taken care of that extra step the cage/ engine bay was ready for primer and paint.

Excuse my dads thumb in the shot lol

Its pretty damn hard to paint the inside of a car with a cage.

The real paint!

E36 Radiator fits quite well in an e30.(ebay)

Made these very simple mounts that attach to the hood mounting brackets that I was no longer using.
        Last edited by Zodow; 05-23-2019, 08:48 AM.
        Instagram timhardyracing

Pikes Peak Hill Climb Build

Comment

Wow awesome looking cage man! You sir are a jack of all trades. What radiator was in your second to last shot? Im thinking about going with a new e36 one as well. It looks great.

1991 LS1 Swapped 318is
          Instagram:
          https://instagram.com/saltybeast/
          LS Build Thread:
          https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...s-e30-ls1-swap

Comment

Suspension and more

Well one motto I tried to follow was "Keep it simple stupid" and try to follow stuff that had been proven.

Stock subframe out.

Did the trailing arm strengthening here - note if you are still using the stock gas tank be sure not to go too far up towards the subframe because the gas tank fill line is right in the way.
            Also on one of my trailing arms after I welded the support onto the arm it would no longer fit in the subframe doh!, so make sure to bolt it in the subframe then tack it up to avoid my mistake haha.

brace for the shock mount

rear sway bar mount. Im not sure this was necessary though because I was using the stock rear bar

added a plate inside of the front subframe.

then drilled it out.

Braced the underside of the subrame mounts as well

Made a tool with 3/8 all thread, washers and and socket to press off the old subrame bushings, I believe I found a guide on this site.

I replaced these with Ireland Engineering's urethane ones, As I had heard that stiffer ones can bind with camber/toe kits.

Bought a harbor freight press to press out ball joints and other things

new stuff pressed in

Shortened strut tubes and welded on new perch for the Ground Control kit.

Not ast's but they were good for the money.

Rear subframe with the damn awful bushing pressed out and camber/toe kit waiting for welding.

New bearings, the rears were shot

A look at the rear subframe pretty much done

Engine mounts from revshift, they took over a month to get to me! Although they seem to work well

Wheels finally back on!

Somewhere in the middle of all this my buddy Skylar came in and helped me figure out how to make some fiberglass/kevlar parts. He has had some experience with stuff outside of cars on smaller objects but the first thing we tried to tackle was covering the gas tank in kevlar to help with impact protection. Its no where near as good as a fuel cell but it doesn't cost much to do and its better than nothing.

I took the tank down to metal for the first attempt, which later I found wasn't really necessary and going onto the paint worked out well.

Well this is the first time id ever vaccum bagged anything, the goal being to help suck out excess epoxy and make a stronger/lighter product.

We even went to the trouble of making a little tent to heat the tank to help the cure time as the garage was still quite cold.

However my ambition got the best of me on this one. Right before we were about to sleep for the night, I had the brilliant idea to "turn it up" even though both of us knew it could cave in... well I got a text from my buddy an hour after i went to sleep at like 4 am saying "you better come down to the garage" and I saw this.

I tried beating it with a sledgehammer but that bastard wouldn’t budge and inch, kinda the point of the kevlar lol, no way the pickup would fit. It was a good test to see how it helped with punctures though.

So off to the junkyard I went for a new one, and the damn junkyards punctures a hole in the tank to drain them! So I had to repair the tank before I could even try again.

Ended up not trying to vaccumbag the second one and just used a ton of clothespins with packaging tape on them so they wouldnt get stuck to the epoxy.

More soon...
            Last edited by Zodow; 05-23-2019, 08:58 AM.
            Instagram timhardyracing

Comment

Originally posted by ian e30 318is View Post
              Wow awesome looking cage man! You sir are a jack of all trades. What radiator was in your second to last shot? Im thinking about going with a new e36 one as well. It looks great.
              Thanks! Its just an ebay special. Search for dual core aluminum e36 radiator and they have quite a few options. Worked well in 90+degree track weather for 10 min outings, It did start to get hot on the first run up the mountain though (I was stopped and turned around because of the bad evo crash so Im not sure if I would have overheated or not)
              Instagram timhardyracing

Comment

Fantastic build thread and driving. How many times or how long have you been driving Pikes Peak? Racing so close to edge gets my stomach all bubbly lol. Cheers buddy!
                95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
                Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
                LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

This year was my first time racing pikes peak, it is quite the daunting race, but it was also a surreal and amazing experience.
                  Instagram timhardyracing

Comment

You are awesome, your car is awesome, and you can fucking drive. Fucking 24... way to make me feel like a loser.

Seriously though keep it up, this thread rules.

Comment

wow this is awesome stuff, subscribed for moor.

Comment

Originally posted by !kid View Post
                        great job on the cage. what are you using to make notches?
                        I used a cheap ass eastwood notcher like this.

After replacing every bolt(im pretty sure they were aluminum) and modifying just about everything on it I was able to get decent cuts. I do not recommend it!
                        Last edited by Zodow; 05-22-2019, 02:36 PM.
                        Instagram timhardyracing

Comment

Originally posted by Zodow View Post
                          Thanks! Its just an ebay special. Search for dual core aluminum e36 radiator and they have quite a few options. Worked well in 90+degree track weather for 10 min outings, It did start to get hot on the first run up the mountain though (I was stopped and turned around because of the bad evo crash so Im not sure if I would have overheated or not)
                          Thanks! Oh man the Evo crash looked pretty bad. Glad both guys survived. Also I love how calm and collected you look while you were sliding...I would have shit myself around those cliffs

1991 LS1 Swapped 318is
                          Instagram:
                          https://instagram.com/saltybeast/
                          LS Build Thread:
                          https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...s-e30-ls1-swap

Comment

You have some serious welding skills!!!! Awesome build!!!
                            Mark K
                            1989 BMW 325i
                            SCCA SEDIV TT Street Mod Champion 2011

Comment

A6's, Balls of steel - Nice run and beautiful cage :up:
                              HIK Fab

Comment

absolutely epic!! great attention to detail. tuned in for more...
                                sigpic
                                Justin Angelli
                                1985 325e Gazellenbiege

Comment

Working...
                                X