No announcement yet.

Diamantschwarz Forever: An E30 Love Story. Re-shell & Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am happy for you man. It's good that you are back in an E30. Getting hit by careless, dumb and reckless drivers is just annoying. Will be following this build. I have been down this road but luckily I have been able to revive my car 3 times so far.

Cheers,
    -Argad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by staysideways View Post
      I am happy for you man. It's good that you are back in an E30. Getting hit by careless, dumb and reckless drivers is just annoying. Will be following this build. I have been down this road but luckily I have been able to revive my car 3 times so far.

Cheers,
      -Argad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Thanks brotha. I hope I never meet the guy who hit me.

But I'd like to think, and know for a fact, that it will be even better than before.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
      1983 Peugeot 505 STI
      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
      2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Over the last couple of weeks, my brotha Seyed Sheikh Abdullamataleb Kawtharani (-ak), has been instrumental in helping me strip my old shell.

This has been a rather depressing process for me, given I put my blood/sweat/tears/memories into this piece of metal over the last 6 years, but with a little gangster / ATL hardcore trap music, the process has turned into one of many laughs, and E30 DIY education.

First, we stripped the entire old suspension. This was already covered a little bit in this thread when we swapped on the old suspension.

Then we pulled the carpet, cutting it as close to the HVAC box as possible.

I will be scrubbing, and steam-cleaning the hell out of this thing in January.

This is pretty much what the car looked like when I left LA last week..

Then I packed the majority of the remaining good parts off the old shell into my family's trusty 1992 Volvo 245 (my first true love) and headed up the Pacific Coast Highway. Don't be fooled by the rain, we had a lot of fun.

Encountered some die-hard Brick lovers along the way. A guy named Matt stopped me at a gas station in San Luis Obispo. He, like I, used to frequent Turbobricks.com many MANY moons ago. He remembered my Peugeot, and my E30 as well. Chopped it up, and left.

Stopped at the Bixby Bridge in Big Sur on the way home. Met this cool Swiss guy from Zurich. He said that he and some buddies had just finished up an English language course in San Diego, and had gotten a speeding ticket along the way. Funny, as I had gotten a speeding ticket in Chur, Switzerland just two months ago. Showed him my ticket and we had a few laughs. Then he took a good photo of me posing in front of the bridge and I posted it to Instagram.

Arrived home Saturday night, and immediately got to work with some buddies Sunday morning. Here's the car with the trashed hood, RF fender, and valence (not pictured) removed.

It got dark so I don't have any more photos from that evening. But the next day, woke up to a lovely brand new OEM RF Fender, brand new OEM valence, Euro grills (that will need paint when it warms up in SoCal) and lovely Schwarz hood. Oh the joy of dent-free panels.

Then tonight, started opening the 10+ boxes of parts that have suddenly accumulated in my parents garage. First, installed some bulbs in my new set of Hella Euro Smileys. Decided on 55w Hella Yellows for the highs; 35w 4000K Philips for the lows; and 6 LED w5w bulbs for the City lights. I had the exact same setup on my old Smileys on my old shell.

Some nice new slotted/vented rotors for the rear, to go with my Powerslots for the front

Some random little unnecessary goodies

Christening of the new hood..

Installed the "325 / M20" front valence plastic vent thingy even though I have a 318

Then installed the 10 new iS lip spoiler clips and my old iS Lip Spoiler which UNBELIEVABLY survived the horrific crash.

That's all for tonight. I ordered some new Bilstein B8 Sport strut inserts because the old ones had like 40k on them and I don't wanna risk installing a slightly bent passenger side strut.

Look out for many more updates this week and this Saturday.

Happy motoring,
        S

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
        1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Can't wait for you to bring it back so we can shred some mountains 8)

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Yes^

-
            Project
            Parts for Sale
            Feedback
            YouTube Channel

Comment

This past weekend was a good one.

Met up with JP (jpod) on here. Had some burgers, talked some shit, and installed my front suspension. JP, if you're reading this...lets hit up Garrett and go smash around Walnut Creek on Vespas sometime soon please.

We reused the H&R M3 Race springs, E90 drop hats, and decent strut mounts. However, I think we snapped one of the studs on the driver side strut mount while trying to install the Garagistic M42 strut brace.

We dodged a bullet by NOT reusing the old struts. The passenger side strut (point of impact on my old shell) was physically bent. Didn't catch that initially. Oh well. in the trash it goes.

These photos were stupidly taken before the suspension fully settled. It looks a little nicer, and more flush now. I like it.

Now, some quick updates that were done quickly before dinner.

First, not pictured, but replaced my taillights, that were both badly pitted/cracked.

I swapped on the right taillight from my old shell (that was fine).
              And then swapped on a nice taillight I got from Sylvester in Sherman Oaks.
              He also hooked it up with the nice Schwarz hood w/ molded insulation, etc.

Next, did a little Hella European Smiley conversion. The smileys were nice.
              Totally and completely refurbished with brand new bulbs.

Opted for 6-LED w5w bulbs for city..
              And 35W 4000K Philips for low beams...
              And 55W uber yellow Hellas for high beams...for the uber posh French look.

I'm not sure why I didn't post any pics with lights actually on.

Maybe because I was hungry and mom baked salmon & a nice Persian rice dish for dinner.

Originally posted by ak- View Post
              Can't wait for you to bring it back so we can shred some mountains 8)
              Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
              Yes^
              Hell yes homeboys.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

new car, who dis?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

new car, who dis?

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                  1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

new car, who dis?
                    same

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                      same

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post

Met up with JP (jpod) on here. Had some burgers, talked some shit, and installed my front suspension. JP, if you're reading this...lets hit up Garrett and go smash around Walnut Creek on Vespas sometime soon please.

We reused the H&R M3 Race springs, E90 drop hats, and decent strut mounts. However, I think we snapped one of the studs on the driver side strut mount while trying to install the Garagistic M42 strut brace.
                        Glad I could help, I'm totally down to roll around on Vespas! When we tried to bolt down the strut brace I think it just pushed the stud out- when we got the stud back in and tightened down it pulled it back into place. Fuck, it was tough getting that stud back in though wasn't it?

Thanks for the MT1 wheel!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                        Transaction feedback
                        - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                          Glad I could help, I'm totally down to roll around on Vespas! When we tried to bolt down the strut brace I think it just pushed the stud out- when we got the stud back in and tightened down it pulled it back into place. Fuck, it was tough getting that stud back in though wasn't it?

Thanks for the MT1 wheel!
                          Merry belated X-Mas JP. It actually sat snug again when I went to install the front strut brace. So I guess that's that.

Any how, some updates. Had the chance to do a lot of things in the last couple of weeks...surprisingly.

Swapped on my nice right tail light from my old wrecked shell and nice left tail that I scored off Sylvester in the SFV. Note: installed my nice old roundel on the rear lid after receiving some new grommets.

Here are the City Lights in action. LED w5w lights installed.

Embarrassingly, I will admit that for some reason, I accidentally switched up my Hi / Low bulbs on the passenger side. Will reprise today.

Installed my freshly powder coated Garagistic M42 strut brace. Yes my engine bay is extremely dirty and yes it will be steam cleaned next weekend. Promise.

Installed all 4 slotted & cross-drilled rotors. Fresh bleed, had some water in the system beforehand. Stops real real nice now.

Then for a little throwback for the OG R3V family. Spotted a WILD LBV while en route for some ultra last minute Xmas shopping in Berkeley.

Then as I was driving home, my fuel pump broke, and left me stranded on the corner of Fernside & Washington Avenues in Alameda, California.

5 or so years ago, the fuel pump in my late clone of this E30 (RIP) broke down on the EXACT SAME FUCKIN BLOCK IN THE SAME TOWN.

Fate? probably.

Then an old buddy Kyle with the Alpine 318i (forgot his handle on here) gave me an old M42 pump he had lying around aka provided with an Xmas Miracle. Thanks Kyle. You da man.

My good buddy Zubin gave me a ride to Kyle's house in his sexy new Corvette Stingray. A little too powerful / nice for my blood

Rejoicing upon the delivery of fuel to my motor.

Then Zubin snapped a few candids of my lovable though ugly new pile.

I really need to find some new bumpers, have thorough PDR done, and get this damn thing painted this year.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

I'm glad you were able to get the rotors and the strut brace on Sina!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                            Transaction feedback
                            - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                              I'm glad you were able to get the rotors and the strut brace on Sina!
                              Yee! I *think* I can feel a subtle difference in stiffness with the brace.

Up next are some thicker sway bars paired with some fresh end links.

The current end links bushings are totally broken, useless.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Good shit Sina! It's not a bad thing overall to get to do it all again and learn from the little mistakes the first time around.
                                The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                                Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                                2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                                2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                                X